No announcement yet.

Historical events yet to be given the full Hollywood treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not half. The Glorious Revolution that is. Most of the major players were very interesting characters in their own right. And I love the fact that the invasion began in Torquay.

Comment

The Chartist Uprising in Newport is another occasion where troops were deployed to shoot civilians in the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by gavc23 View Post
        I’m sure someone could do an ace miniseries on the Glorious Revolution too, like House of Cards with a bigger wardrobe budget.
        You mean the Dutch conquest of england, and the widespread treason of much of the ruling class?

Comment

Yeah, but Jimmy had a taigy wean.

Comment

Yes that’s the one, it would make tremendous tv

Comment

A couple of local ones are the Pitchfork Rebellion and, of a more recent vintage, the Bristol Bus Boycott. I think the latter would only ever make a Loach or Leigh film really not Hollywood.

Has there been a reasonably big budget film about the Spanish Civil War?

For obvious reasons, there has never been a Hollywood film about the Cuban revolution (and I am not counting Sean Connery's execrable "Cuba"). I reckon the lesser known story of Camilo Cienfuegos would work.

Comment

Part of the problem here is that I don't think Hollywood does sweeping historical epics anymore. They find a single incident or a single person to focus on; which means that the audience needs to have a vague idea of the context of the story beforehand.

​​​​​(That's something I've been wondering how to pose a question about to start a thread. How much do films and plays expect their audience to know a bit about the plot before entering the theatre?)

Anyway, continuing, you can do film about something in WW2 because everyone knows something about WW2. It would be a tougher sell either explaining the situation of the Spanish Civil War or expecting your audience to know the general story.

This assumed knowledge will vary from country to country. I saw there was a film about a Dutch admiral that I know nothing about but I'm guess he'd have at least name recognition in the Netherlands.

Comment

Yeah, there is that. A whole wing of the Hofburg is given over to a memorial to "Sisi", a tragic princess of the Austro-Hungarian empire who's every bit as famous there as Diana is here. Needless to say I'd never heard of her.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                    Yeah, there is that. A whole wing of the Hofburg is given over to a memorial to "Sisi", a tragic princess of the Austro-Hungarian empire who's every bit as famous there as Diana is here. Needless to say I'd never heard of her.
                    She was an empress. Hungarians love her.

Like Romanians love Queen Marie, who turns out to have been from Kent.

Comment

Before your time, I guess

Comment

There was a remarkable and bizarre epidemic of sympathy suicides post-Mayerling. Difficult to comprehend.

Comment

Spanish Civil War films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...ivil_War_films

Comment

Thanks for that, Sporting, I am not sure how many of those count as big budget but "For Whom The Bells Toll" surely does and I am not sure I have seen it and, even if I have, I am nor sure I realised it was about the Spanish Civil War. It has the only other one I knew about which is "Land And Freedom" but that definitely isn't big budget.

Comment

Working...
                            X