Historical events yet to be given the full Hollywood treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical events yet to be given the full Hollywood treatment

I don't recall a big blockbuster version of the 1876 Battle of Little Bighorn (aka Custer's Last Stand). I'd like to see that done. Any others?
    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 10-10-2020, 08:15.

I watched every western I could as a kid and definitely remember a Custer biopic that builds up to a long representation of his ‘last stand’.

Comment

There are loads of fillums which cover it, obvs. Dunno if you'd call many of them "full Hollywood treatment" though.

Is the battle itself that interesting?

Comment

Comment

There's never been a battle of Hastings film. I suppose for a long time it was considered a defeat for the good Saxons by the bad Normans, so British cinema weren't interested in it. It would work best as a TV mini series like the Hollow Crown , starting with the death of Edward the Confessor, and taking in Stamford Bridge as well.

Comment

Never seen FIGS' one but I'm interested, I like Robert Shaw. Still think that at least it's a subject to be given a reboot through a modern lens, i.e. not all from the viewpoint of the US cavalry?
            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 10-10-2020, 09:04.

Comment

Has there been anything about the English Civil War? Nothing springs to mind. Or the Gunpowder Plot?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                Has there been anything about the English Civil War? Nothing springs to mind. Or the Gunpowder Plot?
                There was the Cromwell film (1970) starring Richard Harris and Alec Guinness, which I remember mostly for the battle scenes.

Comment

The Industrial Revolution.

"One man ... one idea ... (music soars) ... that would change the world". The trailers you've never heard for dozens of biopics that have not been made.

Comment

The six day war.

Comment

The Rebecca Riots

Comment

The Black Panther movement

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                          The Black Panther movement
                          Panther by Mario Van Peebles - a classic

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                            Not a film, but the BBC made Gunpowder with Kit Harington and Peter Mullan amongst others.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post

There was the Cromwell film (1970) starring Richard Harris and Alec Guinness, which I remember mostly for the battle scenes.
                              Thanks GftW

Edit: and elguapo
                              Last edited by Sits; 10-10-2020, 11:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Gert from the Well View Post

Panther by Mario Van Peebles - a classic
                                Oh, thanks for that. And it's on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Not a film, but the BBC made Gunpowder with Kit Harington and Peter Mullan amongst others.
                                  That was remarkably dull

Comment

The Armada.

Comment

The papal backed Dutch invasion of the Three Kingdoms.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        That was remarkably dull
                                        I thought it looked dull at a glance but didn't watch. I feel I might've made the right decision.

Again not a film, but a far more enjoyable TV series set around the Civil War was The Devil's Whore from 2008, starring Andrea Riseborough and with Dominic West as Cromwell and Peter Capaldi as Charles I.

Comment

Peter Cook said he once did a biopic of Ethelred The Unready but I think he may have been joking.

Comment

He’s in The Last Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                              I don't recall a big blockbuster version of the 1876 Battle of Little Bighorn (aka Custer's Last Stand). I'd like to see that done. Any others?
                                              Gordon Riots?

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                                There's never been a battle of Hastings film. I suppose for a long time it was considered a defeat for the good Saxons by the bad Normans, so British cinema weren't interested in it. It would work best as a TV mini series like the Hollow Crown , starting with the death of Edward the Confessor, and taking in Stamford Bridge as well.
                                                See also "The Harrying of the North"

Comment

Waterloo (done properly although the Steiger/Plummer/Michael Wilding and his wig/Jack Hawkins/Orson Welles/loads of Russians has its charm).

There's loads of great subplots to delve into e.g. General Picton basically suffering from PTSD - he begged Wellington not to take him on the campaign and so on.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X