“Previously...“

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levin View Post
    Did the Adam West Batman actually resolve the cliffhanger from the episode before? As a child I only ever saw occasional ones and never in order. I came to imagine that one of the "bits" of the series was that it always started by resolving a non existent cliffhanger before ending with a cliffhanger which would never be resolved.

That seems unlikely though.
    The episodes were all in pairs I think (with rhyming or otherwise connected episode titles) - with the cliff hanger from the first usually being fairly quickly dealt with early in the second. I think the end of each pair just set up the story for the next one, e.g. told you which enemy was making an appearance, rather than being a cliff hanger in itself. I evidently spent far too much time watching them on TV-am back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

I concur. The shady character in '70s cop shows - Angel, Huggy Bear, Rooster - was a welcome addition to the episode. A gritty Deus Ex Machina who could find shit out and get shit done.
      From what I've noticed on US sitcoms, liking the Rockford Files is another way of saying " old " .

Comment

I know what The Rockford Files are but never watched it.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

From what I've noticed on US sitcoms, liking the Rockford Files is another way of saying " old " .
          Yes, or Matlock or Murder She Wrote or Columbo. Before that, the Lawrence Welk Show, which L's grandfather actually did watch right up until his death in '98. It had gone off the air in '82.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            I know what The Rockford Files are but never watched it.
            This amazes me.

Comment

Jim Rockford was an ex-con private eye who lived in a mobile home right on the beach in LA. He drove a Pontiac Firebird and charged $200 a day, plus expenses (this was back in '77). He got the chicks and got punched in the face a lot.

Comment

The joke when we were kids was that he got coshed in the back of the head all the time. Even our English teacher, who never showed the slightest hint of personality or sense of humour, mentioned it.

Comment

The BBC regularly repeated The Rockford Files as a late night/afternoon filler on their two main channels well into the 2010s.

Comment

This amazes me.
                    Well into the mid 1980s, I was not interested in anything that didn't feature at least one of the following:
                    1) sci-fi or fantastical elements, such as a talking car
                    2) animation
                    3) kids dealing with "relatable" problems
                    4) Broad comedy
                    5) Fonzie

Comment

I am a huge fan of "Previously...." because I have trouble following multiple story threads, and the recap is invaluable in reminding me who did what to whom so that I don't spend half the episode asking L who that person is and why they're trying to kill so and so, or where they've been for the past 4 episodes.
                      This, as someone who nods off in front of the TV at regular intervals.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                        Did the Adam West Batman actually resolve the cliffhanger from the episode before? As a child I only ever saw occasional ones and never in order. I came to imagine that one of the "bits" of the series was that it always started by resolving a non existent cliffhanger before ending with a cliffhanger which would never be resolved.

That seems unlikely though.
                        The one I remember was Batman and Robin being blown up at the end of an episode. At the beginning of the next, Batman announces "Luckily I sprayed the room with anti-explosion powder."

Comment

The Rockford Files for me is synonymous with bedtime as a child. The theme and opening credits are burned into my psyche, but I'm not sure I've ever actually watched an episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                            The Rockford Files for me is synonymous with bedtime as a child. The theme and opening credits are burned into my psyche, but I'm not sure I've ever actually watched an episode.
                            I remember some programme (maybe That's Life or Jasper Carrot) slowing down the Rockford Files opening credits to show that they included a flash-frame of a topless woman.

Comment

I loved The Rockford Files. The answerphone bits are the start just set the tone.

Jim, It's Norma at the market. It bounced. You want us to tear it up, send it back, or put it with the others?

Hey Jim, this is Louie down at the fish market. You going to pick up these halibut or what?

Hey Rockford, very funny. I ain't laughing. You're gonna' get yours.

It's Morrie. Got a call from Davis at the IRS. You were right. They bounced your return. Call me.

It's Laurie at the trailer park. A space opened up. Do you want me to save it or are the cops going to let you stay where you are?

Really want Shimbu in the seventh? C'mon, that nag couldn't go a mile in the back of a pickup truck. Call me.

It's Aundra. Remember last summer at Pat's? I've got a twelve hour layover before I go to Chicago. How about it?

This is the blood bank. If you don't have malaria, hepatitis, or TB, we'd like to have a pint of your blood.

This is the message phone company. I see you're using our unit, now how about paying for it?

Comment

Z-Cars

Comment

I watched Roy Scheider helicopter flick Blue Thunder last weekend and Dennis from The Rockford Files (actor Joe Santos) turned up in that. He's one of those familiar character actors who isn't famous enough that you'll know he features in something until he appears. But when he does, "It's Dennis from The Rockford Files!", always.

Comment

Jason Watkins is really good, and in loads of British TV. But every time we see him, “It’s Herrick!” (Being Human’s boss vampire.)

Comment

Was the Rockford Files on after Mach of the Day in the late 70s/early 80s? That would explain it.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                        I watched Roy Scheider helicopter flick Blue Thunder last weekend
                                        My best mate was a pilot by age 16, and would watch anything flying-related. Blue Thunder was in his top three. When he got his first car (from his mom) it was a lime green AMC Gremlin which we mercilessly called Green Thunder.

Comment

Yeah, when I had to go to bed on Sunday nights, I'd hear this down the hall and the theremin right freaked me out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VI9mUyG_f0

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                            I always thought that the "This week on..." bit at the start of some US series where they showed a precis of the episode that you were about to watch was peculiar.
                                            I'm pretty sure murder mystery shows revealed the killers in this segment, bizarrely. Or maybe I'm just thinking of Colombo where everyone sees the killer do the murder before he gets involved.

Comment

Originally posted by That Night In Barcelona View Post

I'm pretty sure murder mystery shows revealed the killers in this segment, bizarrely. Or maybe I'm just thinking of Colombo where everyone sees the killer do the murder before he gets involved.
                                              Colombo was the only one where you saw the murderer do it . The whole point was seeing how Colombo caught him.

Early memory was our first colour TV, it came on a Saturday, and one of the first programmes I remember seeing was Colombo, seeing it in colour was amazing.

Comment

Was the Rockford Files on after Mach of the Day in the late 70s/early 80s? That would explain it.
                                                You can have a look if you like - https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0...d+Files#search

I certainly remember it being a late night midweek thing but much later than that. Mucking around with the search, it was on around midweeks 11.30pm in 1989 which is probably about the time I got into it.

Comment

Working...
                                                X