Two random comments on names used in The Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two random comments on names used in The Wire

Working my way through The Wire, a mere 15 years or so behind the curve. Currently about a quarter of the way through Season 4.

Couple of observations on names:

First, it sounds to me (possibly due to my terrible ear for all US accents) that the street name of the drug batch which the dealers are shouting out to punters in the first few episodes of S4 is "pandemic". Very pre-2020.

Second, it's very weird for a British viewer that one of the most appealing and admirable characters in the drama is called "Dennis Wise". They should have used that name for, say, Fruit.

I read somewhere that Cutty is based on someone actually called Dennis Wise. But yeah, I was expecting a "John Terry" after that.

Ah man, that's all got me thinking how much I love the "game ain't in me no more" scene in which he tells Avon he's getting out, sentimentality and all.

Comment

There was an interview with David Simon recently, he said that he can't remember why they went with "pandemic," but there might have been one in the news at the time, since the street names were usually based on something that was going on. Of course there was "WMD" as well.

And I'll just say, buckle up for season 4. Rewatched it recently, and it still left me gutted. It's not my favorite season, but I think it's the best.

Comment

Season 4 is the best - just edging out the underrated Season 2 - but it's harrowing stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X