Satire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satire

As The Unfunny Programme That Made Boris Johnson Prime Minister approaches thirty is it funny/ is it worth it/

I love The Onion, but its main role now appears to be a marker of the distance between The Onion world and the world we inhabit. probably less than two weeks

I was prompted to post it by this

https://twitter.com/marcusbarnett_/status/1308458991719190529?s=20

Jonathan Coe wrote this good essay on satire "sinking giggling into the sea"

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 22-09-2020, 18:18.

Thankfully, as it's only available via the execrable britbox it will die on it's arse.

Comment

Does anyone know why they've chosen to show it on Britbox? As I understand it, Britbox is a digital version of UK Gold, where you can binge watch Dr Who or Vicar of Dibley. Spitting Image is of its nature topical, which would surely mean is aimed at people watching it the night it's aired, rather than months later?

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
        Does anyone know why they've chosen to show it on Britbox? As I understand it, Britbox is a digital version of UK Gold, where you can binge watch Dr Who or Vicar of Dibley. Spitting Image is of its nature topical, which would surely mean is aimed at people watching it the night it's aired, rather than months later?
        It's both "box sets" and, as of fairly recently, newly commissioned programming, of which Spitting Image is just one show. They're trying to do a Hulu, basically.

Comment

At a time when this country could really ‘do’ with a Spitting Image - they stick it out on some rip-off on-demand service and do it badly.

The UK In 2020, anybody?

Comment

Speaking of returning satirical political commentary, more "election tamponing" from Borat...

Comment

Hmm.

Actually watched it, rather than just posted a tweet of someone who hadn't watched it complaining about it.

It's ok. Pretty much the same as it always was.

Comment

I'm glad I won't happen across it. Everything I've heard or seen about it makes it sound the most appalling rot.

I can't watch everything to decide if I should watch it or not. That doesn't work.

Comment

I watched a publicity tweet with a one minute clip about Michael Gove visiting Madame Priti Patel for a whipping.

I presume they chose the bit they thought was best.

In which case the whole series is unutterable shit. racist sexist stale jokes from 40 years ago

Comment

The latest clip that Spitting Image has released is a sketch that manages to slip in all the usual tiresome jokes about students being boring and vegan or something.

Comment

Working...
                    X