Clear All

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    I think it's time to believe...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/...ng-enveloping/

Leave a comment:

• BallochSonsFan
    replied
    I'm worried about the movie. Admittedly I've only got the trailers to go on, but I think that the changes to the character dynamics that are hinted at look horrible and I'm not convinced we'll get the 2nd movie. I really want to like it as I love the source material. I'm just not sure.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I think that might be my favourite ever post on OTF

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
    Jesus.
    Nah. Muad'Dib. Different religion.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    Jesus.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Here's an article where Jason Momoa is saying he wants the 4-5 hour version of Dune Part 1 (yes, it's only part 1) to get a release.

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/08/ja...ed-1234655376/

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Trying to remember what I read about it when the trailers first appeared. I think Villeneuve wanted to release it in 2 parts but then the studio wanted it to be 1 film so I don't know if they only plan to release half the story in the film and see what demand is like.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    That is the plan, as far as I am aware.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    The film is only the first half, right?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Rumours about there will be a 6 hour long director's cut.

Am considering reading the book again before the film eventuall gets its release.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post

Or Dr Yueh, who tried to play the long game against the Baron after being compromised into betrayal.
    Actually, that sounds right.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Yeah, he dies heroically after killing nineteen Sardaukar.

Who was the guy that they thought was a traitor but turned out not to be?
    Or Dr Yueh, who tried to play the long game against the Baron after being compromised into betrayal.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

That was the planetologist I think. Gurney Halleck hides with the Fremen.
    (Spoilers)
    The mentat was the traitor because his wife was being held prisoner by House Harkonnen.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    t's not like we are walking out of the cinema past the people in line for the next screening saying "I can't believe Darth Vader is Luke's father"
    Oh, you absolute...

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Yes, he comes back as a 'ghola' ie clone in Children of Dune as a gift to Leto II, I think. Then there is a subplot in God Emperor of Dune about how there has been a string of gholas as they gradually become more aware of their past and turn against Leto so he has them killed off and replaced with a new one.

I thought he was just written out as being in a flier that came under heavy fire and crashed while distracting the Harkonnen forces so that Jessica could escape with Paul. In the 1984 movie he dies on screen wearing the block armour which slows down but doesn't stop the bullet that kills him. It's a very effective scene in the film.

(I realise that we are in spoiler territory here, but if people haven't read the book or seen previous screen adaptations, then how much obligation do we have to protect them. It's not like we are walking out of the cinema past the people in line for the next screening saying "I can't believe Darth Vader is Luke's father" a la Homer Simpson.)
    Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 16-09-2020, 13:15.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Doesn’t he come back as a clone, or am I thinking of somebody else?

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    I thought that he was described as getting a head injury that killed him, but that may be tidying up in a later book.

In any case, he is likely to get his Crowning Moment of Awesome as he beats the shit out of the Saudarkar before being overwhelmed.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    One difference between the book and the 1984 film is actually seeing Duncan die. In the book he disappears presumed dead which adds to the sense of chaos as Jessica flees with Paul.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    They may have sold it as, "It's a small part but a good character to get your teeth into".

No doubt the internet will be awash with "WTF THEY KILLED DUNCAN?" from people who don't know the story, in similar fashion to Eddard Stark getting the chop in GOT.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Indeed, there are so many characters that Paul and his mom are really the only ones that get a lot of screen time, so it's impressive they got so many big names across the board.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    I reckon they might just simplify it and have Rabban v Paul as the main focus of the conflict.

I also suspect Duncan Idaho might have a bigger role in this film given that Jason Momoa is playing him. But then Oscar Isaac is a big name as Duke Leto and surely he won't get much screen time after the first 25 minutes or so.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied

The Baron explicitly sets up Rabban as a fall guy in his stewardship of Arrakis, with the idea that when Rabban gets the boot for incompetence and brutality the people will welcome Feyd as a saviour (of sorts).
    I hope that isn't cut, but I think that's a subplot that doesn't necessarily need to be in the film. Or it could be done another way somehow. Like the princess - a fairly useless character in the first book - is set up to be the good cop to Rabban's bad cop. Or something like that.

To make films like this, the studio needs to make like $150m or more in the first week or so, as I understand it. So that means it it has to play to an international audience in theaters. It can't be too complex for distracted teenagers to understand. It can't be four hours long. It just won't be able to include all the feints within feints within feints.

Of course, if it turns out that everyone is just forced to watch this at home anyway, the filmmakers will regret that they didn't just make it an HBO miniseries where they would have had more time for that kind of thing.

It's also possible, as that article suggests, that Feyd just won't show up until the sequel. I think that would make sense. My recollection is that he's only referred to for most of the book before arriving rather late. Indeed, in the 80s film, Sting is only on the poster because he was, at that time, by far the most famous person in the film. He doesn't do much until the final scenes.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Yes, that's one of the subplots isn't it - Rabban wanting to earn Baron Harkonnen's favour and him preferring Feyd.

I did like the comment in the article suggesting it could be a late reveal and turn out to be Justin Bieber.
    The Baron explicitly sets up Rabban as a fall guy in his stewardship of Arrakis, with the idea that when Rabban gets the boot for incompetence and brutality the people will welcome Feyd as a saviour (of sorts).

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    That rather misses the point, then.
    Yes, that's one of the subplots isn't it - Rabban wanting to earn Baron Harkonnen's favour and him preferring Feyd.

I did like the comment in the article suggesting it could be a late reveal and turn out to be Justin Bieber.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X