No announcement yet.

Films/series we don't really need

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um... you have noticed that it is a bit of Canadian highway, right...

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      Friends I guess (though I understand that at first that was the intention of the Joey character)
      Surely Ross is the inconsiderate arsehole of that group.

Comment

The thought that somebody would even consider making a Def Leppard biopic itself seems pretty funny to me.

I guess they were pretty huge in the US.

Seinfeld more or less managed it, but other shows have ended up making their main arseholes at least arseholes with a soupcon of humanity.
        I'm not sure that Seinfeld's character was intentionally meant to be an asshole, was he? (At least, not initially.)
        Last edited by Jah Womble; 15-09-2020, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
          Um... you have noticed that it is a bit of Canadian highway, right...
          I did think it didn't look much like Clumber Park

Comment

Nice touch getting that car on the right (left) side of the road to make the scene look a bit more British.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              The thought that somebody would even consider making a Def Leppard biopic itself seems pretty funny to me.

I guess they were pretty huge in the US.
              I imagine the "Curse of Def Leppard" stuff was one of the angles in making the film as well as what a huge band they were. 'Pyromania' was a great album too.

Comment

Each to his own, I guess. The last line of this para from that link made me smile:

"An exasperated Joe Elliott is discussing, and wearily denying for the umpteenth time, the existence of what he calls in a mock-horror-flick voice “the Curse of the Leppards,” the apparent pox of bad luck ‘n’ trouble that has dogged his band for nearly 10 years. The evidence is grimly convincing – drummer Rick Allen left with only one arm after an auto accident on New Year’s Eve, 1984; guitarist Steve Clark found dead in his London home on January 8th, 1991, from a fatal mixture of alcohol and drugs.

There have been other, less-publicized calamities, as well. Founding guitarist Pete Willis was fired for alcoholism during the sessions for the group’s 1983 breakthrough album, Pyromania. The band’s producer, Robert John “Mutt” Lange, was seriously injured in a car accident during the making of the star-crossed follow-up record, Hysteria, and Elliott himself was laid up with a nasty case of the mumps during the vocal overdub stage."

Comment

Yes, that seemed like a line from The Rutles to me when I read it.

Comment

They didn't even use the Transport typeface, FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

The "white telephone" bit is because a certain kind of film from that era took place among the very wealthy who lived in mansions or hotels that almost always featured white telephones. Many were comedies, though not all feature the fast paced dialogue that defines screwball comedy.
                      Sorry to go back a few pages, but when I read "white telephone comedies" I assumed they were about vomit. Does no one else use "talking to god on the big white telephone" as a euphemism for throwing up?

Comment

I know it - I don't use it that often. 'Calling God on the great white telephone' was a popular expression when I was in the sixth form (ie, an absolute lifetime ago).

(That, and 'calling for Hughie'.)

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Sorry to go back a few pages, but when I read "white telephone comedies" I assumed they were about vomit. Does no one else use "talking to god on the big white telephone" as a euphemism for throwing up?
                          We had 'technicolour yawn' because the last thing it was, was white...

Comment

I know it - I don't use it that often. 'Calling God on the great white telephone' was a popular expression when I was in the sixth form (ie, an absolute lifetime ago).

& occasionally "Ralph' (c) big yin

Comment

My personal take on it was 'Dram-buieeee!'

(Not that we drank that very often.)

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

I'm familiar with that phrase.

Comment

Each to his own, I guess. The last line of this para from that link made me smile:

"An exasperated Joe Elliott is discussing, and wearily denying for the umpteenth time, the existence of what he calls in a mock-horror-flick voice “the Curse of the Leppards,” the apparent pox of bad luck ‘n’ trouble that has dogged his band for nearly 10 years. The evidence is grimly convincing – drummer Rick Allen left with only one arm after an auto accident on New Year’s Eve, 1984; guitarist Steve Clark found dead in his London home on January 8th, 1991, from a fatal mixture of alcohol and drugs.

There have been other, less-publicized calamities, as well. Founding guitarist Pete Willis was fired for alcoholism during the sessions for the group’s 1983 breakthrough album, Pyromania. The band’s producer, Robert John “Mutt” Lange, was seriously injured in a car accident during the making of the star-crossed follow-up record, Hysteria, and Elliott himself was laid up with a nasty case of the mumps during the vocal overdub stage."
                                  It seems their "curse" is actually - drugs/booze, driving too fast as young men with too much money and not enough sense are prone to do, and perhaps just plain old bad luck.

Comment

Yes, I'm not sure how long you can get away with having a totally unsympathetic arsehole character. Seinfeld more or less managed it, but other shows have ended up making their main arseholes at least arseholes with a soupcon of humanity. BBT has both Sheldon and Howard who are both really appalling human beings, but it couldn't have had the longevity it did if it had not been for the writers adding a touch of humanity to them.

(mind you it's really only the barest touch, especially in the case of Howard)
                                    Howard improves rapidly in the middle seasons, so much so that it should count as a retcon. Same with Raj. That whole business of him being unable to talk to women without drinking was a dumb gimmick.

Sheldon also improves greatly, but even to the very end, the writers couldn't resist bringing out his inconsiderate-dick side, not only because it sets up jokes, but because it gives them a chance for him to realize what a dick he was being, to set up the character arc. But it was on for 12 years. The arc should have been done by then. Still, I cried a bit in the last scenes. There are many reasons for that, though.

In that way Young Sheldon is a better show. Because it's a single-camera/not-live show, it doesn't have to have a joke every five seconds and, being a prequel, it knows where it's going so the arc, such as it is, is laid out already. They don't have to repeat it over and over not knowing when or how the show will end.

The idea of his character is that he's got an eidetic memory and an IQ of about 180 but cannot really read social cues or understand how other people experience the world. He also has traits of OCD - so, more or less, what was once called Asbergers. I'm not sure how realistic that is, but based my experience with a few people I have met in real life, it's not completely far fetched. He's actually less of an asshole than some of the people I've met IRL who kind of resemble him because at least Sheldon seems to want to get along with people and, fortunately, he's had a lot of people in his life who are patiently trying to help him do that.

And I think there's actually a lot to be said for somebody who cares about all kinds of stuff like which seat is the best in the room and having a favorite prime number and all of that. It shows they are paying attention to everything, even if they don't understand a lot of it. If we all did a bit more of that, we'd probably get more out of life. Of course, trying to impose your top five list of favorite cereals or lectures on what Hulk would be like if he were made of sponge is tiresome.

Comment

Is this the time to say for the hundredth time that I saw the outcome of the drummer's crash?

Comment

First I've heard of it.

Comment

My brother's oddly descriptive variant on it is "Shouting into the porcelain telephone", which I always feel has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                            Is this the time to say for the hundredth time that I saw the outcome of the drummer's crash?
                                            Yes, carry on GO, first I've heard of this too...

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              My brother's oddly descriptive variant on it is "Shouting into the porcelain telephone", which I always feel has a certain je ne sais quoi.
                                              The addition of 'God' adds to the overall drama of the moment, however. ('Parking one's breakfast' - that was another.)

Comment

I was massively into Def Leppard in about 1989. I must have listened to Hysteria a thousand times or so. I even read a book about the band. It was before Steve Clarke died because I remember hearing that news and being really shocked by it, but I was listening to Metallica on repeat by then.

Comment

Top two threads in Film TV and Radio are:

• Films/Series we don't really need

• The new Dune movie

I personally didn't need the first one either, but each to their own.

Comment

Helen Reddy has died. I sort of feel responsible. I'm sorry. RIP

Comment

Working...
                                                    X