Strictly 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're mentalists. Rylan's great!
    Correct analysis. I've grown quite fond, during lockdown, of his Radio 2 show too. Usually plays a decent smattering of pop bangers and gets his dear old mum on at some point for a nice chat. Top radio.

Comment

I thought Rylan in his X-Factor days was a central casting (drama)queen who left me cold but he revealed hidden talents and depth on Celeb Masterchef, as he has on Celeb Gogglebox.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
        That'll shock Mumpo...
        What? Did I say something?

Haven't actually watched anything Strictly for a couple of years now so excuse me if I've forgotten

Comment

Ha, no Mumpo, it's just your usual assumption (with some reason) that all the voters are racist.

Comment

Oh yeah, actually had forgotten that.

Comment

Ah, sorry to see Clara go. Her Charleston was joyous, and I enjoyed her jive tonight a lot too. Jamie seems completely wooden to me, even when he hits the correct steps, a bit like Graeme Swann a year or so back. JJ seems to be getting by on a series of mediocre nicey nicey softly softly dances, too. Give me Clara any day.
              Last edited by diggedy derek; 29-11-2020, 23:55.

Comment

Can't argue with that.

Comment

Yes, she's more engaging and entertaining than either of those two. It's a real pity that she's out. But her last two weeks were a bit messy, so I guess the result is fair enough.

Those "Britain's Greatest Dancer" winners who did the half-time routine were just unbelievable.

Comment

I voted for Clara, but you couldn't argue with it. She seemed like she was 4 days into a 6 day rehearsal plan; in places she really didn't seem to remember the steps (or the choreography was really really shit and had her looking like that); she wasn't helped by the flat shoes which made her look stompy rather than precise and flicky. I wonder if that fact that she was also holding down a day job at the same time was a factor in that?
                    I don't think you can begrudge Jamie and Karen for winning through though; I thought it was just a better dance which didn't have nerves of anxiety-inducement, unlike Clara's.

JJ will eventually have to do a latin dance, and at this point his good ballroom frame and long limbs won't be able to hide his flaws as easily as the more formal and flowing dances have.

Comment

JJ is doing a Charleston this week. Someone is bloody desperate for him to progress.

Comment

Phew!

Comment

Ah, that was pure pleasure watching JJ and Jamie in the dance-off. Whoever loses, I win. That said, JJ seems an absolute diamond of a man, and Jamie danced his heart out right there to get through to the semis. I don't know about you, but I'm setting a reminder on my phone for Bill & Oti's tango to "Enter Sandman".

JJ's charleston must have been one of the least fun charlestons ever danced. It was an imitation of fun.
                          Last edited by diggedy derek; 08-12-2020, 00:25.

Comment

I disagree. I thought it was reasonably entertaining, albeit below the average Strictly Charleston standard. But it was clearly time that he left, overall.

I find Jamie and Karen really dull.

Looking forward to Bill and Oti again of course. Bill's been a bit off the boil last couple of weeks, hope he gets his mojo back.

Comment

Yeah Jamie and Karen are very meh, in general, really.

Ranvir's really come through on the rails in the past couple of weeks. Would be happy for her to win. Though Harvey's ultimately going to I reckon.

Comment

Jamie's pretty enthusiastic, and that's a very winning look. Harvey is the dancer who like Kelvin last year you have to remember who the professional is and who the celeb is. He's very watchable, and seem a nice enough person. We won't find out until the final though if there's enough of a crowd who vote for who they think is best which is bigger than people voting for who they like the most. On the latter, I think Bill would score well, as he's doing well enough as a dancer to more than justify his places, as well as Ranvir who will get a vote from lots of people because Giovanni, and lots from people who think she can dance, and lots from people who like her 'journey' as someone who's clearly had the same issues many people have in not really believing they have a body designed to do this sort of stuff. Maisie is a brilliant dancer, but like Faye Tozer or Ashley Roberts, has lots of people thinking she was taught this stuff at stage school (hence messages of support from her former school which was a normal comp type place) and aren't voting for her.

Comment

This week's show was entirely worth it for Craig's gag about going to Heaven in Charing Cross in the 1990s.

I'm warming to HRVY so much, he is a beautiful dancer. I usually am left cold by American Smooth but the last week's one was a delight, and this week's Charleston was a vivacious joy. Maisie's street dance to "Getting Jiggy Wit It" managed to redeem what I previously thought was a terrible song, something that Strictly is great at. Bill Bailey's tango to "Enter Sandman" felt a bit novelty compared to the above.

Comment

The production team clearly set up Bill's Enter Sandman dance as his finale so they could get rid of him. No-one could do the tango to that.

Comment

I thought it would definitely work, but the music wasn't precise enough, it was too macho. That sounds odd, but Metallica are actually really precise.

Comment

Jamie and Karen make it through. Really sad to see Ranvir go out, but maybe Jamie did have that bit more determination, and his salsa actually looked pretty fluid and fun.

Comment

It was obvious that Ranvir's very ordinary jive was very much on the mind of the judges, despite them theoretically not having to take it into account.

Comment

So glad Ranvir is gone. Have found her humble bragging beyond grating...

Comment

GO, yeah, despite what they say, they never judge it on just one dance. gt, ha, you have a cold, hard bullshit detector in your hands it seems. I've really liked Ranvir, although, like many Strictly narratives, once the 'story' becomes established it risks becoming rather tiresome.

Comment

Add me and MrsCJ to the "Yes we know you've grown in confidence, Ranvir..." crowd. Although we did like her, we reckon she ran out of dances in the end. That jive was a shocker.

Re: tangos, has anyone else been wishing someone would dance to some actual tango music? We haven't seen one this series that we've really liked or where we've sensed much chemistry. Bill's was another example of trying to do something original with the dance rather than... well, dancing it.

Probably the right finalists, although it was too close to call with Jamie/Ranvir. I know they're supposed to judge it on the dance in front of them, but if you can't separate, then what? I think Jamie has a bit more range. Maisie or HRVY to win, we reckon.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                                  Re: tangos, has anyone else been wishing someone would dance to some actual tango music?
                                                  Yup, me. I far prefer dancing to proper tango music. And this very much goes with the cha-cha too.

Comment

I also agree. It's a wider gripe I have about choices of music on Strictly which clash with the traditional feel of a particular dance, but tango is probably the most frequent victim of those bad decisions.

There was an episode of Strictly a week or two ago where it looked as if Ranvir was having a big sulk after getting some poor marks and comments.

And yes, the frequent hammering home ad nauseam of the same simple "story" about a contestant is extremely tiresome.

Disappointed that Jamie didn't do his hoe-down style quickstep for the dance-off, as (despite it breaking the above-mentioned rule about music matching the dance properly) I thought it was the first entertaining dance he'd done all series.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X