No announcement yet.

Strictly 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, indeedy that usually works for me, but it seems not on my iPad, as was the case at the time.

Comment

Same with phones, in general, which is why I suggested that alternative.

Comment

ChrisJ Gotta say, I think you may have a point. Bill B was great and HRVY and his eminently watchable partner were ace. I was in Randall & Aubin the last Saturday before Lockdown 2.0 and Alijaz and Gio were there having lunch. Alijaz is eyewateringly beautiful...and smokes!

Every time I see HRVY's name I'm reminded of this...

​​​​​​https://www.ling.upenn.edu/~beatrice...ys-vowels.html

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
          Sympathy vote. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not sure what one could be "cynical" about. They wouldn't dare rig the vote I think, not least because it would be catastrophic if that leaked, which it surely would sooner or later.
          Maybe cynical wasn't the word I needed? I didn't think the vote was in any way rigged, I was speculating that perhaps the Great British Public was voting on criteria other than dancing, as Greenlander suggested.

I'm returning to Strictly after a few years out. The standard seems to have risen tremendously from what I recall.

gt3 Haha. I've taught a number of kids whose official, legal names have been vowel-free. Not Bosnian, either.

Comment

Strictly's not rigged, but it's certainly managed. For example, Nicola and Katya had a couple's choice in week 3 because - my theory, obv - the BBC wanted to make sure they could get good marks, to keep them higher up the leader board, and that's easier with a dance for which there are no rules to break. I'm glad they did, because the British voting public have form for being racist cunts on Strictly.

Remember, the only people who see the voting tallies are the producers, who also choose the dances for each person; some dances are much more forgiving than others, so anyone getting a waltz or cha-cha-cha early doors is someone the BBC want to do well, because they're likelier to make mistakes when there's a crowded field and a few more genuinely rubbish dancers who can be eliminated on the grounds that they're the slowest antelope in the pack.
            Last edited by NHH; 18-11-2020, 12:58.

Comment

I totally subscribe to your theories NHH. Mrs G will vehemently disagree but I always think the Charleston is a sure fire way to push a couple up the leaderboard though can't find any evidence to back that up.

Comment

I always think the Charleston is a sure fire way to push a couple up the leaderboard though can't find any evidence to back that up.
                Absolutely agree with that. If I had time, I could test the theory from the stats by digging and collecting info from the pretty detailed Wikipedia records for past series of Strictly. But my strong feel is that the average scores for Charlestons are a lot higher than, say, the correspoding numbers for cha cha cha.

Comment

Never really thought of it like that, but good points NHH and EEG.

Anyways, Bill and Oti's Rappers Delight was one of the most fun bits of telly I've seen in weeks. Tremendous.

Comment

I'll be very happy if the plastic man has to keep isolating.

Comment

Who's he?

Comment

The bloke currently not on Takes Two.

Comment

My wife and 10 year old daughter like to watch It Takes Two occasionally. To be fair, in the weekly TV dinner TV rota which little M has drawn up, It Takes Two appears only one day a week, but that's one day too many for me. It'd take a lot more than Rylan's absence to make it watchable for me. I mean, not that it's particularly awful or anything, but life is so short and watching ITT is just such an irredeemable waste of precious time.

Comment

That'll shock Mumpo...

Comment

Glad Clara's still in it, she's been top. Would have been a travesty if she was in the dance-off this week.

That Blackpool theme seemed to have precious little Blackpool in it. Still, they'll struggle through I'm sure.

Comment

Baffled by Shirley complaining about Caroline being in the dance-off when she (Caroline) finished in the bottom two as voted by her (Shirley) and her fellow guests...
                                Last edited by Gangster Octopus; 23-11-2020, 11:09.

Comment

You're mentalists. Rylan's great!

Comment

He's superb on Ready Steady Cook also.

Comment

Me too in the Rylan fan club - TV, especially live TV, is generally acknowledged to be a lot harder than it looks, and Rylan is one of the ones who not only makes it look easy, but usually gives you the impression he's enjoying doing it, and appears keen for everyone else to have fun too.

He's good showbiz.

Comment

Yep, every word of that. That's why he's so good on RSC (which I've only seen about five times, but still). He manages to strike up a genuine conversation and have a laugh with people about mushrooms and who does the washing up in about 10 seconds.

This Rylan thread derailment is also considerably more fun than the Latinx one over the other side.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe I should start calling everyone who likes the plastic man a tool...

Comment

That's why he's so good on RSC
                                            For a moment there I read "on" as "with the", and had an image of him delivering a new light-hearted camp take on the King Lear role.

Comment

Did anyone else think the scores were mostly a bit inflated this week? It was another good week, but didn't wow me as much as the previous had.

Comment

Yup, definitely some scoreflation.

Comment

Yes, the number of tens has been daft. Like football, a 10/10 performance is near as dammit perfection. Not freaking Jamie frumping it up like a member of Kris Kross.

Comment

agreed

Comment

Working...
                                                    X