No announcement yet.

Strictly 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always have to wait for a fair bit to get used to and understand the celebrities on there – sometimes what you'd assume is a vacuous YouTube star turns out to be a diamond.

I really like how they've handled the lack of a big audience: a few socially distanced NHS staff, and the other couples take a seat by the dancefloor. Feels like they've struck the right tone.

Comment

My 9 year old told me a nice Strictly/COVID cross-over joke:

Q: How do they keep safe from COVID on Strictly this year?
      A: They have Tess Daley.

Comment

I've seen better opening numbers...

Comment

Bill Bailey surprisingly good yesterday I thought - he won't get anywhere near the closing stages but he's enjoying himself. Caroline Quentin also a decent outside bet though women of her age rarely do that well.

Just realised yesterday who it is that perma-annoying Anton Du Beke reminds me of - the Kevin Eldon character that turns up to Alan Partridge's hotel leaving party.

Comment

Justice predictably done in the first round as Jacqui Smith exits. My missus commented that Anton was moving her around like a lawn mower.

HRVY is proving to be a lot less irritating than I had initially feared. In fact, nowhere near irritating enough for me to still wish him an early exit, given that his partner is, errm, very watchable.

Comment

Re: Rogin commenting upthread about Jacqui Smith "pretending to be a human being"; I thought she was a poor home secretary, carrying out the Daily Mail-appeasing shtick you would expect of a New Labour Home Secretary. However, I was with her at Oxford; she went to the same college at me. She was already a Labour member. She was no militant firebrand who shifted rightward a la Straw when eventually in power. But she was very much a human being, and a very nice one, a good-humoured, smiling presence in the college, kind and with a sense of fun. I didn't recognise the Jacqui Smith I saw interviewed on TV when she became Home Sec; it felt like someone robotically going through the motions of pragmatism required of those in high political office. I lost respect for her for taking the job at all - no one had a gun to her head and she could have declined to go for the job, work from the back benches. Maybe there was a sense of cold ambition I missed in her during her college days. I knew her quite well but not that well. Still, the Jacqui Smith of a recent Guardian profile seems closer to the one I remember, rather than a sham confected to make her seem Strictly-friendly. Interesting that the interviewer commented how boring she had been when she interviewed her as Home Sec, how much more effervescent now.

Comment

Originally posted by E10 Rifle View Post
                Just realised yesterday who it is that perma-annoying Anton Du Beke reminds me of - the Kevin Eldon character that turns up to Alan Partridge's hotel leaving party.
                I have one friend who you could maybe classify as a micro-celebrity.

Anyroad, he attended some showbiz bash and went up to a bloke he thought was me (why I would be at this party, God only knows) only for it to be Anton Du Beke. I was unimpressed.

Comment

Hmmm, Evariste Euler Gauss could be right about Jason. Pity, he seems like a nice bloke.

Comment

Just dawned on me; the singers aren't actually there, are they.

Comment

I didn't notice that actually.

I think most of the celebs seem alright.

Comment

So Evariste Euler Gauss, still expect Bill to go next?

Comment

ha ha, of course not! That's the risk of making your predictions before any of the contestants have done any performances. I'll be several places out with BB. Still, not bad to have got the first two in correct order, even if the first was a no-brainer.

Comment

Katya and Nicola are out of the competition after Katya gets Covid. Boooooooo.

Comment

Will they reach the end of the competition?

Comment

Oh dear. Shame for NA. Fingers crossed no further cases on the programme.

Comment

Bill Bailey and Oti Mabuse's routine to "Rapper's Delight" last night was tremendous. It's part of the increasingly absurd Couple's Choice choice that each couple has to make, which usually seems to relate to someone's life journey in some pathetically reductive way, and rarely makes any sense at all. But, who needs an excuse to dance to this? Fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                    Bill Bailey and Oti Mabuse's routine to "Rapper's Delight" last night was tremendous. It's part of the increasingly absurd Couple's Choice choice that each couple has to make, which usually seems to relate to someone's life journey in some pathetically reductive way, and rarely makes any sense at all. But, who needs an excuse to dance to this? Fantastic.

Great, wasn't it? Last night's show was a cracker, but is it cynical to speculate why the weakest celeb wasn't even in the dance-off? <- spoiler in case someone's got it on record.

Comment

Quite.

Comment

Sympathy vote. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm not sure what one could be "cynical" about. They wouldn't dare rig the vote I think, not least because it would be catastrophic if that leaked, which it surely would sooner or later.

Last night's show was one of the best mid-series shows in years. Superb routines from Bill+Oti, Harvey+Janette and Clara+Aljaz. Bill+Oti's was the most original of those of course.

Comment

Not rigged, but just annoying. Still, it's what happens in these sort of things.

Comment

how do I read that spoiler above?

Comment

Quoting it in the Reply box shows the text.

You don't need to post anything.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

JJ is the favourite of the seventy years plus demographic. Well at least that's where my Mum's three votes went on Saturday thanks to his get up for that routine.

Comment

Quoting it in the Reply box shows the text.

You don't need to post anything.
                                                    I don't even need to quote it in the Reply box. I can see the text simply by highlighting it with my mouse (keep left button depressed). I'm guessing that will work for anyone rather than being a quirk of my particular hardware.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X