No announcement yet.

Strictly 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This week's show was entirely worth it for Craig's gag about going to Heaven in Charing Cross in the 1990s.
    Ah yeah that was magnificent. Craig's great, in general, one of the most watchable aspects of the show

Comment

Craig's great, in general, one of the most watchable aspects of the show
      Absolutely.

Comment

Very much so.

Comment

I was hoping to be doing a dance by dance sort of David Agnew thing, but we're going to be watching it behind times so I'll be here after it's all over.

Comment

very strong dances from the three main contenders here I think. I fancy Bill to take it with the big personality of his three. HRVY's the one for me but only just

Comment

Bill! The feel-good ending we all need.

Comment

Yup. He won despite being the third best dancer...

Comment

That "Rappers' Delight" is so good though. It's like one of those scenes in a film where a character hunched behind a desk suddenly and unexpectedly bursts into song and dance.

Comment

Oh, I'm so happy with how that ended! This result cheered me up no end – who on earth would've predicted it before the series started?? But I was thinking from a few weeks in, "Hang on, Bill Bailey is the real frigging deal here". He may not have been the objectively greatest dancer overall, but pound-for-pound it's got to be a greater achievement for a 55-year-old bloke to come as far as he has compared with two lithe youngsters who are clearly fantastic dancers but frankly started off pretty fantastic too. To see Bill's genuine flabbergasted delight when his name was announced as the winner was just joyous.

The year 2020 may not have had an awful lot of positive stuff compared with the negative, in general, but I think we can count this as being one for the 'plus' column. Wonderful.

Also, is that the first time any of the pro dancers has emerged as champion two years running? Since they quite often seem to hamstring winners by handing them an older or otherwise less-than-spritely celebrity the next year, it's quite rare to see one make a serious go at an immediate repeat. Oti must be over the moon tonight to have pulled this off.

Comment

It does seem that they normally give the champion professional what would be considered a dud/ non-contender the following series. Apart from the fact Bill threw himseld into the whole process in a serious way rather than as the comedic interlude that I suspect the production team thought it shows that Oti is a brilliant choreographer and knows how to get the best out of her partner.

Chalk the family Greenlander up as fans and voters for Bill from the moment he was announced, but I'd have been almost as elated if Janette had snatched the glitterball.

Comment

We wanted Bill to win and it's great that he did. But on the night Maisie was the best dancer and had the best dances too.
                        Hrvy's showdance was impressive, but not really a "show" dance. More of a clip-show dance. Missed the brief for me.

Comment

Bill was a worthy winner, even if Harvey and Maisie, with their considerable advantages of youth, were stronger dancers. Bill was a very good dancer and top for the entertainment factor.

An excellent final all round.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post
                            It does seem that they normally give the champion professional what would be considered a dud/ non-contender the following series. Apart from the fact Bill threw himseld into the whole process in a serious way rather than as the comedic interlude that I suspect the production team thought it shows that Oti is a brilliant choreographer and knows how to get the best out of her partner.
                            Yes, to all this. It was only reading an article about Bill's win that I've realised only one professional dancer had ever won two titles, let alone back-to-back – Aliona Vilani managed it three series apart, I think. Arguably that's kind of ideal, the very opposite of certain dancers monopolising it, with – what – 15 different ones winning from 17 series or whatever it's been now.

But yeah I think you're right, it took a highly unusual circumstance to create this little bit of history: where, in defiance of the producers' apparent need to 'hobble' each winner the next series, just for once a thoroughly committed and able dancer managed to get smuggled in under cover of being the middle-aged 'comedy' makeweight.

Comment

The Christmas special, which is a simple countdown of the greatest dances ever as voted for by the public, is well worth a watch with some tremendous performances. Also includes Craig drawing for an ice cold burn against Ann Widdecombe.

Comment

Yes, I was going to post on that too. Some wonderful dances. Inevitable that Widdecombe would be in there as the "comedy" turn, just a shame that it is a lot more difficult to find her amusing in the years since her Strictly appearance as she has sunk into the most loathsome Brexiteer antics, part of the Brexit Party MEP posse that shamed and embarrassed our country in the European Parliament

The top 25 included most of my favourites (and apart from the ghastly Widdecombe were all worthy of a top 25 spot imho), though I think my own top 25 would have included:

- at least one of Kara and Artem's dances - their rumba and/or their waltz -

- Danny Mac and Oti's American Smooth to "Misty Blue";

- Rachel Stevens and Vincent's rumba to Paul Weller's "You do something to me" (though my judgement on that one may be clouded by the steam coming out of my ears).

Predictable - and fair enough - that jives and charlestons were well represented in the top 25 choices. Interesting that there were no rumbas. "No sex please we're British."

Edit: list on the Reddit page linked below btw.

Top 25 Strictly Come Dancing dances : strictlycomedancing (reddit.com)
                                Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 27-12-2020, 16:01.

Comment

There were I think just two bad dances, for me, Widdicombe and Ed Balls. Both of them really just looked like they were taking the piss, which might be fun for an episode or two, but doesn't make for a good TV series in the long term.

Comment

Working...
                                  X