Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diggedy derek
    replied
    This week's show was entirely worth it for Craig's gag about going to Heaven in Charing Cross in the 1990s.

I'm warming to HRVY so much, he is a beautiful dancer. I usually am left cold by American Smooth but the last week's one was a delight, and this week's Charleston was a vivacious joy. Maisie's street dance to "Getting Jiggy Wit It" managed to redeem what I previously thought was a terrible song, something that Strictly is great at. Bill Bailey's tango to "Enter Sandman" felt a bit novelty compared to the above.

Leave a comment:

• NHH
    replied
    Jamie's pretty enthusiastic, and that's a very winning look. Harvey is the dancer who like Kelvin last year you have to remember who the professional is and who the celeb is. He's very watchable, and seem a nice enough person. We won't find out until the final though if there's enough of a crowd who vote for who they think is best which is bigger than people voting for who they like the most. On the latter, I think Bill would score well, as he's doing well enough as a dancer to more than justify his places, as well as Ranvir who will get a vote from lots of people because Giovanni, and lots from people who think she can dance, and lots from people who like her 'journey' as someone who's clearly had the same issues many people have in not really believing they have a body designed to do this sort of stuff. Maisie is a brilliant dancer, but like Faye Tozer or Ashley Roberts, has lots of people thinking she was taught this stuff at stage school (hence messages of support from her former school which was a normal comp type place) and aren't voting for her.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    Yeah Jamie and Karen are very meh, in general, really.

Ranvir's really come through on the rails in the past couple of weeks. Would be happy for her to win. Though Harvey's ultimately going to I reckon.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    I disagree. I thought it was reasonably entertaining, albeit below the average Strictly Charleston standard. But it was clearly time that he left, overall.

I find Jamie and Karen really dull.

Looking forward to Bill and Oti again of course. Bill's been a bit off the boil last couple of weeks, hope he gets his mojo back.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Ah, that was pure pleasure watching JJ and Jamie in the dance-off. Whoever loses, I win. That said, JJ seems an absolute diamond of a man, and Jamie danced his heart out right there to get through to the semis. I don't know about you, but I'm setting a reminder on my phone for Bill & Oti's tango to "Enter Sandman".

JJ's charleston must have been one of the least fun charlestons ever danced. It was an imitation of fun.
    Last edited by diggedy derek; 08-12-2020, 00:25.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Phew!

Leave a comment:

• NHH
    replied
    JJ is doing a Charleston this week. Someone is bloody desperate for him to progress.

Leave a comment:

• NHH
    replied
    I voted for Clara, but you couldn't argue with it. She seemed like she was 4 days into a 6 day rehearsal plan; in places she really didn't seem to remember the steps (or the choreography was really really shit and had her looking like that); she wasn't helped by the flat shoes which made her look stompy rather than precise and flicky. I wonder if that fact that she was also holding down a day job at the same time was a factor in that?
    I don't think you can begrudge Jamie and Karen for winning through though; I thought it was just a better dance which didn't have nerves of anxiety-inducement, unlike Clara's.

JJ will eventually have to do a latin dance, and at this point his good ballroom frame and long limbs won't be able to hide his flaws as easily as the more formal and flowing dances have.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Yes, she's more engaging and entertaining than either of those two. It's a real pity that she's out. But her last two weeks were a bit messy, so I guess the result is fair enough.

Those "Britain's Greatest Dancer" winners who did the half-time routine were just unbelievable.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Can't argue with that.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Ah, sorry to see Clara go. Her Charleston was joyous, and I enjoyed her jive tonight a lot too. Jamie seems completely wooden to me, even when he hits the correct steps, a bit like Graeme Swann a year or so back. JJ seems to be getting by on a series of mediocre nicey nicey softly softly dances, too. Give me Clara any day.
    Last edited by diggedy derek; 29-11-2020, 23:55.

Leave a comment:

• Mumpo
    replied
    Oh yeah, actually had forgotten that.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Ha, no Mumpo, it's just your usual assumption (with some reason) that all the voters are racist.

Leave a comment:

• Mumpo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
    That'll shock Mumpo...
    What? Did I say something?

Haven't actually watched anything Strictly for a couple of years now so excuse me if I've forgotten

Leave a comment:

• NHH
    replied
    I thought Rylan in his X-Factor days was a central casting (drama)queen who left me cold but he revealed hidden talents and depth on Celeb Masterchef, as he has on Celeb Gogglebox.

Leave a comment:

• E10 Rifle
    replied
    You're mentalists. Rylan's great!
    Correct analysis. I've grown quite fond, during lockdown, of his Radio 2 show too. Usually plays a decent smattering of pop bangers and gets his dear old mum on at some point for a nice chat. Top radio.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    agreed

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Yes, the number of tens has been daft. Like football, a 10/10 performance is near as dammit perfection. Not freaking Jamie frumping it up like a member of Kris Kross.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Yup, definitely some scoreflation.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisJ
    replied
    Did anyone else think the scores were mostly a bit inflated this week? It was another good week, but didn't wow me as much as the previous had.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    That's why he's so good on RSC
    For a moment there I read "on" as "with the", and had an image of him delivering a new light-hearted camp take on the King Lear role.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Hmmm, maybe I should start calling everyone who likes the plastic man a tool...

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Yep, every word of that. That's why he's so good on RSC (which I've only seen about five times, but still). He manages to strike up a genuine conversation and have a laugh with people about mushrooms and who does the washing up in about 10 seconds.

This Rylan thread derailment is also considerably more fun than the Latinx one over the other side.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Me too in the Rylan fan club - TV, especially live TV, is generally acknowledged to be a lot harder than it looks, and Rylan is one of the ones who not only makes it look easy, but usually gives you the impression he's enjoying doing it, and appears keen for everyone else to have fun too.

He's good showbiz.

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    He's superb on Ready Steady Cook also.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X