Tenet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tenet

Well, that's some audacious film making if ever. Performances uniformly excellent. Story baffling, but the clue is in the title. Went to the 5.30 show yesterday evening. Greenwich Picturehouse was relatively empty and everyone was socially distancing.

I'll not say anymore just yet, in case anyone else on the board intends to watch it (I did look but couldn't find a thread about this film).

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
    (I did look but couldn't find a thread about this film).
    Someone will post one in a week and it will appear in yesterday's posts. With twenty replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post

Someone will post one in a week and it will appear in yesterday's posts. With twenty replies.
      <applause>

Comment

Went this morning to see the first of Cineworld's 30 daily screenings. Really a terribly dull film with little to go for it beyond some performances (especially Robert Pattinson, who is always watchable). You'd think after the Bane experience, Nolan would have learnt that dialogue is very hard to hear when your characters have their mouth covered. There's no sense of jeopardy, and apart from one car chase, the set pieces weren't particularly impressive, which is odd, as it's usually the one thing Nolan is very good at. I don't think i'd bring myself to watch it again, unlike say, Inception which still looks amazing 10 years on.

Comment

Enjoyed it and will definitely rewatch at some point in the future. It did make me think about the Backwards episode of Red Dwarf more than I imagine Nolan was hoping.

Comment

Thing is Red Dearf did it so much better in Backwards, it was one of their best episodes.
            I'm with RobW on this. My interest mirrored the film where they looked through the window at their inverted selves, by this point I just cared less and less what happened to what was a bunch of dreary one dimensional characters and the most cliched bad guy you could think of.
            Someone should have took advantage of the time travel to go to Nolan just as he began filming and told him not to bother. When he made Inception I wanted to watch it again and again to pick up on the things I missed, with this film I couldn't care fucking less.
            I get the feeling he wanted to film a building being blown up, put back together then blown up again in a different way, then built the story around it. That's great as a set piece but not something to build a film around.
            There has been a lot of hype around this film, but the fact that it was the first real blockbuster after the lockdown seems to be the reason it has generated it rather than the quality of the film itself.
            Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 31-08-2020, 17:50.

Comment

I have no idea what this movie is about, just that it's become a shorthand for refusing to acknowledge the reality of what's happening in the country here, with Nolan insisting that we'll all be going to movie theaters to bask in the glory of Tenet on the big screen.

Comment

Between this and the Bond movie, these were the films 'we' were all waiting to see post-COVID. So far, the reviews are largely 'meh'. I don't think I'll risk death for 'meh'.

Comment

Me neither.

I may pay $30 for the Bond film to see it at home, if that's a choice. We'll see.

I can wait on Tenet. I suspect I'll like it more than "meh," but still. I couldn't enjoy a film in a theater right now. I'd be happy to do a drive-in, but the only drive ins around here are doing more family-oriented stuff.

Comment

"Drive-in" to watch Tenet? I think you mean "Reverse-out"! (Sorry, I'll stop now.)
                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 31-08-2020, 18:33.

Comment

There were no more than 14-15 at our screening, we were the only ones on our row and there was nobody on the rows in front or behind. I've felt far more at risk in the supermarket than that movie theatre.

Comment

Definitely “meh” from me, too. Do we need another Bond? Branagh plays it very much as a Bond villain and there’s so much clunky exposition. Quite enjoyed eating pizza watching it (Everyman) but the film is not very good.
                        oh and only 2 punters in, tho he did sit right behind me

Comment

I saw it tonight and I'm with gt3 and Zeb. I thought it was a dazzling, if occasionally bewildering, piece of film-making. I think I clung on to the machinations of the plot, by my fingernails at times, but you certainly have to lean in to it in places. It's probably good to see a movie that's cleverer than you are sometimes (or a movie that thinks it's cleverer than you think you are, maybe).

The performances are mixed, I thought - Pattinson and Washington are great and share a wonderful chemistry but Debicki is simply reprising her role from The Night Manager and Branagh is way too one-dimensional.

I took my three teenage children who uniformly loved it. My 16 year old has been obsessed with it ever since the title was announced and she clocked the reference to the Sator Square so geeked on all the references to that and the higher concept stuff while my 13 year old son came at it primarily from the action & set pieces. We all burbled away happily for ages afterwards about the ideas and theories in, and about, the film.

I'm certainly going to go back for another cinema viewing (I haven't once felt at great risk in any of my eight cinema visits post-lockdown, especially now masks are mandatory and I only attend cinemas where I am sure socially distanced seating is possible), just as soon as I track down a screening with subtitles...genuinely.

It's no accident that Nolan makes his films dialogue so hard to follow, just very infuriating, The theory is he "wants to make the audience work harder to understand the dialogue... Nolan believes this will make the film a more immersive, engaging experience. But, Price says, “I think he is the only one in the world who believes that.”
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-09-2020, 07:32.

Comment

I’m not sure how it gets to be labelled clever with one-dimensional characters and “what about my son?”
                            Some of the set pieces were great but unlike the Bourne films it’s hard to care who/why and unquestioned benign CIA and stereotype Russian baddies are also not clever.

Comment

Oh gawd, that line is a clunker both in terms of writing and delivery.

I think the plot and concepts of a movie can be clever even if some of the dialogue and characterisation are very prosaic.

Nolan has certainly had historic blind spots on both those latter elements, especially for women which is illustrated by how much better the scenes between Pattinson and Washington are than the ones between Debicki and Washington or Branagh.

Comment

Alternative thread title:-

"Six out of Tenet."

Comment

Thought it was pretty poor in reality. All very one dimensional characters and storyline with the odd good sequence.

Comment

I went again with my younger two for a subtitled screening. It definitely a plus to have a little help with the dialogue and a second viewing is certainly rewarding in what it opens up of the plot and ideas.

It's maybe a film to be admired rather than loved but I still found it a spectacular and engrossing watch. I really want to see it with a director's commentary now, do they still have those on DVDs?

One real commendation for me is that after seeing it a couple of weeks ago (and following it up with 'Inception' at home the next weekend) my son told my wife he wants to be a film director now.

He was fascinated and inspired by how the film was structured, especially the sound (which was a factor my daughter was particularly was particularly wowed by). Any film which has that impact must have something going for it.
                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-09-2020, 09:45.

Comment

Working...
                                    X