Chadwick Boseman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chadwick Boseman

Shocking news that Chadwick Boseman, star of Black Panther, 42, Marshall and other roles, has passed away of cancer. He has had colon cancer since 2016 and filmed Black Panther whole suffering from cancer in private.
    Last edited by Incandenza; 29-08-2020, 02:39.

What an unbelievably shitty year this is

RIP

Comment

Fuck this year to hell.

He was one of my top five favorite actors. I think the only movies of his I haven’t seen is the Thurgood Marshall one and the bridges one.

He tended to take parts that came with high audience expectations and preconceptions - James Brown, Jack Robinson, Black Panther - and he always delivered.

I didn’t know people in their 40s got colon cancer.

I had no idea he was sick. Da Five Bloods was probably filmed no more than a year ago.
      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 29-08-2020, 04:20.

Comment

Horrible news, his illness was a well-kept secret.

I watched the Jackie Robinson and Thurgood Marshall films quite recently, without knowing who Boseman was beforehand (I haven't seen Black Panther). Both were well done, at least for those of us non-Americans who aren't familiar with either man's biography.

Comment

It happens to be the day MLB is honoring Jackie Robinson. They do it every year, but it’s usually in April.

42 was especially good on the big screen because of how it used CGI to recreate bygone ball parks like Ebbets Field and the Polo Ground and how it puts the audience on the field during the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
            I didn’t know people in their 40s got colon cancer.
            Colo-rectal cancer rates in people below 50 have been steadily increasing since the 1960s, and there's no real indication as to why, and it doesn't appear to be connected to any associated higher-risk group.

One such higher-risk group is unfortunately black people, who tend to have some of the genes associated with colo-rectal cancers.

Because of my Crohn's disease, I've had regular colonoscopies and twice they've discovered (and removed) adenomatous polyps, which can potentially develop into colon cancer. Both of those were found before I was 40.

Comment

This is very sad.

Black Panther was the first superhero movie to be nominated for best picture. Boseman was one of the reasons why.

Comment

This is so shocking, I jolted awake hearing it at 5am on the radio news I doze to and haven't really settled since.

His character in 'Da 5 Bloods', a leader of, and inspiration to, his peers who died too young, seems so poignant now. He must have known while making the film that it could be one of his last roles, some others making the movie with him must have too.

I'll admit I came to his work late with his time as Black Panther but he had such a powerful presence in the titular movie and his other appearances in the role. He also lit up '21 Bridges' recently which might have been a humdrum cop movie without his driving force behind it.

What an immeasurably sad loss.
                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-03-2021, 21:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  This is so shocking, I jolted awake hearing it at 5am on the radio news I doze too
                  Same here...and also hearing his voice in Black Panther in one of the radio news clips, I became aware of his channelling his inner Nelson Mandela, something i hadn't noticed before when watching the film. Absolutely gutted. Can't believe was making those films whilst he was undergoing treatment. What a brave brave guy - RdG, is Da 5 Bloods on Netflix?

Comment

Yes, it is. I have to admit I found it a patchy movie and the melding of the flashback scenes featuring Boseman and present day action didn't work for me but that doesn't detract from his performance in it.

I'm now forced to wonder if his screen time being quite so limited was in any way due to him dealing with his illness or was always planned that way. That said, he completed at least one movie after it so maybe the latter.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 29-08-2020, 09:38.

Comment

That’s shocking. Impressive that he kept it totally private; that speaks volumes.

Comment

He was the same age as my husband, which somehow makes it even more shocking to me. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post

Colo-rectal cancer rates in people below 50 have been steadily increasing since the 1960s, and there's no real indication as to why, and it doesn't appear to be connected to any associated higher-risk group.

One such higher-risk group is unfortunately black people, who tend to have some of the genes associated with colo-rectal cancers.

Because of my Crohn's disease, I've had regular colonoscopies and twice they've discovered (and removed) adenomatous polyps, which can potentially develop into colon cancer. Both of those were found before I was 40.
                          Actually, all of that rings a bell. I’d forgotten that my cousin’s husband had cancer colorectal cancer in his 40s. He’s ok now, but it was not easy.

Comment

Fucking 2020, the year that keeps giving (you a fresh turd on the carpet like some incontinent pet).

Comment

Working...
                            X