Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Country Music (Ken Burns' new documentary series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Country Music (Ken Burns' new documentary series)

Think I'm somewhat behind the curve on this, as it may already have aired on BBC Four, but just caught the first episode in RTE, and it lives up to the usual superlative Burns standard. With contributions from Merle Haggard, Charley Pride, Kris Kristofferson, Garth Brooks and Dolly Patron (just for starters!), it begins by tracing the roots in hillbilly, African and European traditions, before noting the rise of radio in the Grand Ole Opry, and the first stars, namely Jimmy Rogers and the Carters.

I thought it was excellent. In many ways, it reminded me of an amazing film we saw a few years ago at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which traced the music's roots up through the black south. The old black and white footage alone was worth the time, but paired with the music was just transcendent.

Comment

It's wonderful. And so many people who have since passed away, including some backing musicians (who often have the best stories).

Here's a very brief, basic history of country eBook that can serve as a introduction to country music. (The server might not work in the UK. If anyone wants me to, I'll upload it on another sever)

Comment

I mentioned it when it was on BBC4, I'm not a country music fan, but Burns is such a good documentary maker I was hooked.

Comment

Working...
        X