Actors you'd watch in just about any old s***e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actors you'd watch in just about any old s***e

This is the opposite to the actors you hate without having to have a reason thread. Actors who you would watch in any old shite, and the shite you have watched them in.

Chris Pratt. Shite: Magnificent Seven remake, Jurassic World 2, loads of average dreck from back when he was fat

Christian Bale. Shite: Reign of Fire, the Terminator film he made, (Equalibrium, while dreadful, is one I quite like)

Gillian Anderson, although generally she’s not in shite.

Comment

John Cusack.

Comment

Oh wow, Chris Pratt is 100% one for the other thread for me.

Michael Smiley is always the best thing about anything he's in, although I don't think I've seen him in anything outright bad except maybe that one ropey Doctor Who episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
          John Cusack.
          He is in a lot of bad stuff. Maybe he has gambling debts.

Comment

Hugh Grant
            Steve Coogan
            Jessica Chastain, admittedly partly because she's so luminously beautiful as well as because she's a great actor.

Comment

Denzel Washington, Scarlett Johansson.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                Oh wow, Chris Pratt is 100% one for the other thread for me.
                This. He even managed to nearly ruin Parks and Recreation

Comment

Keanu Reeves - which is just as well given some of the shite he's been in. I can't wait for the new Bill and Ted, even though I know it won't trouble any awards panels.

Comment

Cary Grant
                    James Garner
                    Ian McShane

Comment

Steve Buscemi
                      John Malkovich

Comment

Stanley Tucci
                        John Turturro
                        John Goodman

Comment

Jessica Raine

Comment

Tucci's another one for me actually, he even manages to shine as the 'Hunger Games' movies get ever more excruciating.

Comment

Nic Cage. Which is fortunate, as he's been in a lot of shite.

In terms of people who are actually good regardless of the context, as opposed to entertainingly OTT, I'd definitely agree with the Coen Brothers alumni posted above, and at one point Cusack too, though his schtick has worn a bit thin (for Hollywood too it seems, can't remember the last thing he was in). Ed Harris. Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal. Charlize Theron.

For actors of a previous age: Bogart, Bacall, Grant, Hepburn K, Eastwood.

Comment

I stuck with Robert De Niro as far as 2016's Dirty Grandpa. I've abandoned quite a few of his later efforts before the end but that was the first one that I couldn't even be bothered to start.

John Cusack looks fantastically seedy in some of his recent outings, which tend to turn up on prestige platforms like the Horror Channel. It's a combination of indoor pallor and his hair usually being both too long and too artificially black.

Comment

Another actor I would watch in just about anything is Michelle Pfeiffer. She was the only thing that kept me watching Maleficent 2.

Comment

I seem to agree with many on here

Buscemi, Goodman, Clooney, Theron, J-Law.

Comment

Michael Caine, I thought he was an awful ham until I saw him in Mona Lisa, I don't go searching out everything he does, but if he's in it, I'm generally more likely to give it a go.

Comment

Seeing mention of Coen alumni, it was very remiss of me not to mention Frances McDormand.

Comment

Tilda Swinton.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                            I stuck with Robert De Niro as far as 2016's Dirty Grandpa
                                            Did you mean to type Robin Askwith? Seriously, not only is there a film called Dirty Grandpa but De Niro is in it?!

Per thread - Peter Lorre, Karl Howman, Katharine Hepburn, Ian McShane.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

Did you mean to type Robin Askwith? Seriously, not only is there a film called Dirty Grandpa but De Niro is in it?!
                                              Wondered about that as well. Not that it needs a made up film title to bemoan the fact that De Niro has now racked up so many films that defeat the OP premise.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                                                Next time, just take my word for it...

Comment

Lordy, so many. Most from the classic era when more was expected and more demanded than it is today. It's visceral, the stars who made you shiver count more than any thespian chops. More women than men on the list, probably for that reason. Not in any order and certainly incomplete:

Louise Brooks.
                                                  Barbara Stanwyck
                                                  Lauren Bacall
                                                  Veronica Lake
                                                  Judy Holliday
                                                  Liv Lisa Fries
                                                  Marlene Dietrich
                                                  Audrey Hepburn
                                                  Marilyn Monroe

Edward G Robinson
                                                  Humphrey Bogart
                                                  Robert Montgomery