Fixation of hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    I don't think he's that funny, but 30 Rock is a brilliant show (and he does a very good straight man)
    This is it. He looks like a classic leading man, so those are the roles he got early on, but he's best playing asshole white guys in comedies like 30 Rock. He's ok as Trump on SNL, but really his best SNL work is doing things like the Glengary Glen Ross/Santa's Workshop parody. "COCOA IS FOR CLOSERS!"

Comment

Baldwin was good as John DeLorean in the semi-pseudo-sorta-documentary Framing John DeLorean.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
        As I always do, I am obliged to say that he was a pleasant and not at all stuck up neighbour, which wasn't the case for a number of less well known "celebrities" who live in our building.
        I imagine that's not uncommon. Hollywood people who are routinely assholes will stop getting work after a while and people with nothing to prove tend to be more gracious.

I also get the impression that the actors and musicians that chose to live in Manhattan have learned how to get along with civilians. If they couldn't they would be in LA or somewhere else they can be more isolated.

Apropos of nothing, my friends lived in the same building near the meatpacking district as Paul Rudd. That's where I saw Dave Gahan in the parking garage. I enjoy a good celebrity sighting, not because I'm particularly interested in celebrities, per se, but it's just always interesting to see somebody in three dimensions that you've previously only seen in two. I imagine it's how bird-watchers feel.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
          Thinking about it, Anna Hendrick is beginning to fit the OP. I think she is talented and funny but... something about her is really making my hackles sit up and glow red.
          Absolutely, I only came here to mention her. Although I don't find her funny at all, just incredibly grating. I reckon I would have got her name right though.

Comment

I can't explain why, but I listened to her autobiography on Audible. I think I'd like her if I knew her, but the only films of hers that I really liked a lot is Up in the Air and Rocket Science. She was also in Into the Woods, which is fine if one likes that kind of thing. She's also one of a very small number of very famous people from Maine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

You’ve triggered something for me there. I think a lot of my judgement of actors is how they behave on Graham Norton’s show. Some just go with the flow and relax into it, but some seem to think they’re holding court and MM is one of them.
              Now that I think about it, this must be true for me too. Not a fair assessment, obviously, but since I don't watch much "celebrity telly" (red carpet interviews and the like) I suppose Norton's show is one of the few times I see actors out of role (at least, the ones who are too Big Cheese to do panel shows like "Would I lie to You", I don't think George Clooney has been on that).

They're on a couch with some British comedian or sportsperson they'd never heard of before, and the Hollywood stars can mock and be mocked like old pals, or not. The "good" list includes Hanks, Pratt, LeBlanc and Jennifers Aniston and Lawrence. The "bad" is most of them.

Comment

A lot of actors get extremely nervous on those talk shows.

Since Carson, it has not been common in the US to have more than one guest on the couch at once. Corden does that. I’m not a fan. It’s too much chaos for that hour of night. I vastly preferred the Craig Ferguson show which had that slot before on CBS. It was much more relaxed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                  A lot of actors get extremely nervous on those talk shows
                  Slightly odd given that talking and performing is their trade.

Comment

But they're not performing a character, they're being themselves. A lot of actors get into the craft because they're insecure, and performing gives them confidence. Trying to tell anecdotes in front of millions live must be hell if you're not wired that way.

Comment

Keira Knightley. How the fuck does she keep getting roles?

Comment

She’s ok. I like her in the Pirates movies, Begin Again, Never Let Me Go and the Jane Austen one she did.

But there are lots of attractive English actresses with somewhat posh accents in their 30s who are a bit better - Felicity Jones and Carrie Mulligan, for example, maybe Daisy Ridley. In baseball terms, her WAR is about 1.2.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Not sure if [Gerard Butler is] bad or if he just picks terrible movies. Same with Vin Diesel. For all I know, he could crush it as Hamlet.
                          Butler could be the greatest actor, but he is so deeply unlikable that his thespian skills don't even matter. He can be great, he can be poor, but just being exposed to that guy is an excessively uncomfortable experience.

Comment

Working...
                          X