Fixation of hate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Simon G View Post

I'm with you on Kate Silverton by the way NS - having had the bad fortune of having to deal with a motor claim of hers at one time. Even a "Do you know who I am?" came out in one conversation*.

Anyway, Seth Rogen is one I can't stand. I actually now struggle to watch anything with him in.

*she didn't know who I was...
    The only time this phrase ever came up for me was when a professor at a Canadian University was lamenting being stopped by customs the previous time he'd returned to Canada because he had some fruit (I think) with him, and he said to the customs officer "Don't you know who I am?". Not being versed in niche organic chemistry they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
      Again... INEXPLICABLE hatred, people. I'm finding myself agreeing with the majority of these posts but I'm starting to feel I'm gonna have to be the arbiter of this thread on Guy's behalf.
      "Who are your betes noires, the actrons you personally despise, often for reasons that "you just do", and often haven't really done anything particularly egregious to deserve it."

doesn't say it HAS to be irrational.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
        For me, Simon Pegg has completely obliterated all the goodwill built up by Spaced and Hot Fuzz.
        The Tom Cruise influence. He’s gone all LA la and wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t embraced Scientology. Shame.

Comment

Yeah, but everyone hates Ricky Gervais, Seth Rogan, Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell. It's not like it's a weird fixation of just one or two people.

Comment

Again... INEXPLICABLE hatred, people. I'm finding myself agreeing with the majority of these posts but I'm starting to feel I'm gonna have to be the arbiter of this thread on Guy's behalf.
            Problem with this is that every post would be "I hate X...but I can't explain why".

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

1. often for reasons that "you just do"

2. often haven't really done anything particularly egregious to deserve it.
              The way I read it from the OP:

1. If you can't pin it down any better than that, then that is pretty much the same as "I can't explain it"

2. This would suggest anyone who mugs, over-acts, takes themself too seriously etc. is out.

Comment

Kirk Douglas.

Comment

And his son, mostly.

Comment

Michael Douglas. Just can't like anything he's in. No matter the reviews.

Comment

Goldie Hawn. The name for a starters and then the sheer banal crap of movies that came with that name.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                        Yeah, but everyone hates Ricky Gervais, Seth Rogan, Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell. It's not like it's a weird fixation of just one or two people.
                        No they don’t. You’re projecting.

Gervais is kind of a dick in real life, but some things he’s made are good.

Sandler has made some crap, but he’s made very things too and he seems like a pretty good guy. Same with Seth Rogen. His latest thing, American Pickle, is enjoyable as was Longshot. I didn’t care for the one about sentient food, though.

Will Ferrell, as we’ve discussed, had an incredible run of American comedy classics, starting with “Get off the shed!” on SNL and running through Anchorman 2. Since he stopped working with McKay, he’s hit a bit of a dry spell. But he’s good in his non-comedy roles, so maybe he’ll shift to that.

I guess I’m a Basic. I like most of the people mentioned on this thread.

Making a good movie is very hard. So many things have to come together for it to work. If it goes wrong, it’s not usually one thing, but insofar as it is, it’s usually the script.

In general, Hollywood casting people seem to know what they’re doing. Sometimes people are miscast for a particular project, but usually the who really don’t offer much eventually run out of offers to do anything substantial and fade from view. Megan Fox comes to mind. Orlando Bloom, perhaps. Demi Moore hasn’t done anything noticeable in a long time. There’s a reason.

Of course, some actors don’t have much range, but that’s not the same thing as being bad. Hugh Grant is a classic example. He is outstanding at playing about three different guys, but really, he’s always just playing Hugh Grant.

Same with George Clooney. He has three guys brooding sad guy - Up in the Air, Descendants, Michael Clayton, Syriana, that assassin one. He has OTT Absurd Cohen Brothers guy - Hail Caesar, Intolerable Cruelty, Catch-22, and he has handsome easy-going guy who may not be what he seems - Gravity, Ides of March. Well, in Gravity, he was what he seemed to be - barely in the film but there just enough to help the movie get made.

Denzel is the same way. He’s always Denzel. That’s fine. Sometimes what a film needs is a movie star, and he is that.

Bruce Willis is always John McClain. That’s fine. Tom Cruise seems to have decided that he’s just going to be Ethan Hunt. Good for him.

Tom Hanks is great at “dad movie” roles and that is his main go-to, but he does have some range. Forrest Gump was gimmicky, but he sold it. He did Fred Rogers very well.

I think people who don’t like Tom Hanks just don’t like Americans. Fair enough. But it’s not his fault.

Brad PItt is often lumped in there as a movie star who just shows up and plays himself, but he actually has more range. It’s often said he’s a character actor in the body of a leading man. He’s definitely trying.

Of the actors who seem to keep getting work, the one that grates on me is Andie Macdowell. Mainly because I like so many other things about Groundhog Day and Four Weddings and a Funeral. A lot of movies struggle to give the female lead a personality, but she wasn’t really helping.

And I’ve often said that the only thing keeping Say Anything from being my favorite movie is Ione Skye is just such a non-entity.

Comment

Hugh Jackman.

Comment

What’s wrong with him?

Comment

Nothing. I just do.

Comment

Which is the idea of the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I think people who don’t like Tom Hanks just don’t like Americans. Fair enough. But it’s not his fault.
                                  This strikes me as wrong on a number of levels. That Hanks represents all Americans. That dislike of someone's films makes one dislike everyone from that nation.

fwiw, I have warmed to Hanks - he seems like a really nice bloke, for a start. He's been in some utter shit (Dan Brown stuff, the execrable Forrest Gump, etc), but he;s also been in some good films too and he usually does a very good job in most of his work, even in the films that are rubbish. I think in the past I was somewhat anti-Hanks because of the way that others went on about him (which wasn't his fault). I hated that he won the Oscar for Philadelphia, when he wasn't even the best actor in that film (and he wasn't the lead either, best supporting I could have handled), and I utterly loathed Gump and all the gushing plaudits that went on for what is a truly vile film on every level.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

I find Hanks impossible to dislike. He plays Ordinary Joe very well, e.g The Terminal and Bridge of Spies. He's not the problem with Forrest Gump, everything else is.

Comment

Hanks was great in Big.

Comment

And Bachelor Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Sandler has made some crap, but he’s made very things too and he seems like a pretty good guy. Same with Seth Rogen. His latest thing, American Pickle, is enjoyable as was Longshot. I didn’t care for the one about sentient food, though.
                                            Sandler always takes me back to my pre-teen/early teenage years and was brilliant for me in Happy Gilmore (watching it as an adult doesn't have even remotely the same effect). I also thought he was outstanding in Uncut Gems.

My hatred for Seth Rogen is nothing to do with his ability - it's purely because he is the exact spitting image of a guy I used to work with. I couldn't stand the guy and now whenever I see Rogen in anything it makes it unwatchable.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
                                              Hugh Jackman.
                                              You are John C. McGinley and I claim my five dollars

Comment

The way I read it from the OP:

1. If you can't pin it down any better than that, then that is pretty much the same as "I can't explain it"

2. This would suggest anyone who mugs, over-acts, takes themself too seriously etc. is out.
                                                I didn't intend they be necessarily excluded

Shite actors always deserve a mention.

David Bowie is your go to guy here I think.

Comment

Thinking about it, Anna Hendrick is beginning to fit the OP. I think she is talented and funny but... something about her is really making my hackles sit up and glow red.

Comment

I must admit that I'm struggling with the premise for this thread. I mean, if there's an actor that I don't particularly take to, I can quite quickly figure out why that is.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X