Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixation of hate?

Inspired by that Martin "Hobbit Cunt" Freeman post over on the other thread

Who are your betes noires, the actrons you personally despise, often for reasons that "you just do", and often haven't really done anything particularly egregious to deserve it.

I'll start.

Julia Roberts

Meryl Streep

Tom Hanks (although he's improved dramatically as he's aged, and I actually enjoy his recent performances)

Robert Redford (who has gone in the opposite direction)

Comment

But Tom Hanks is 50%er

Plays a fictitious character? (except in "Big") Hell yes.

Shite. Obnoxious. Pretentious. Overbearing. Unrealistic. Crap.

A dramatic performance based on a real person?

No way. Even if that individual is fictionalised for dramatic effect.

Meryl Streep.

Nah. Just for the most part, "meh"

Comment

I don't really do hate, but I find Bruce Willis's attempt to convince me that he's a tough guy hugely irritating.

Featuring for the first time in her life alongside a comment about Bruce Willis, BBC newsreader Kate Silverton, mistress of insincerity and simpering smiles, similarly grinds my gears.

That's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
          I don't really do hate, but I find Bruce Willis's attempt to convince me that he's a tough guy hugely irritating.

Featuring for the first time in her life alongside a comment about Bruce Willis, BBC newsreader Kate Silverton, mistress of insincerity and simpering smiles, similarly grinds my gears.

That's about it.
          But the broadcasters thread, that's opening up a whole new seam, and I fear we may hit the motherlode here.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

But the broadcasters thread, that's opening up a whole new seam, and I fear we may hit the motherlode here.

Ah, sorry. I didn't realise it was just performers and portrayers that we were considering.

Comment

"actron"

I'm old fashioned enough and member of the whyowhyowhy pcgonnemadde brigade to ask why female thespians insist on being called actors.

They are actresses.

Blokes are actors

Actron is the gender-neutral noun, for I have spoken.

So mote it be.

Comment

Will Ferrell.

Comment

Costner. There's never been a film made that wasn't ruined by his presence. He's the Sting of mid 90s cinema.

Comment

I have a mate who really, really, really hated that bloke whose name I can't remember. Hang on. Burt Reynolds. Like massively hated him.

Course he's dead now. Burt Reynolds, that is, not my mate.

Comment

Adam Sandler has a face that would be substantially improved by having an imprint of the underside of an iron across it.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                        Adam Sandler has a face that would be substantially improved by having an imprint of the underside of an iron across it.
                        He doesn't qualify in terms of for reasons that "you just do", and often haven't really done anything particularly egregious to deserve it. He's done everything in the world to deserve it.

I'd nominate Gerald Butler. Though he is obviously an awful actor and horrible man, so there's reason to my dislike of him.

The same applies to Robert Downey Jr., who is a better actor but comes across as so impossibly smug that I just dislike him to the extent of finding him unwatchable in anything (though I like his earlier film Chances Are).

Comment

Having a pint with my brother and he thinks your a wise man Guy, at least as far as Julia Roberts is concerned, also Robin Williams and Richard Burton, also Jerry Lewis.

Me it has to be Ricky Gervais, I hate him with a passion, smug unfunny shitehawk.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

That's about it.
                            I'm with you on Kate Silverton by the way NS - having had the bad fortune of having to deal with a motor claim of hers at one time. Even a "Do you know who I am?" came out in one conversation*.

Anyway, Seth Rogen is one I can't stand. I actually now struggle to watch anything with him in.

*she didn't know who I was...

Comment

Oliver Reed.

Comment

My friend (ex-National Theatre) describes herself in the singular as an actress, but generally, in the context of others as an actor, as in "other actors".

"Actor" describes the job, and "actress" is often used in a pejorative way. My mate is quite relaxed about it as she's been in the profession since the 1970s, but prefers "actors" to "actors and actresses" and can see why younger people might prefer "actor".

Comment

Jodie Foster.

Bill Murray.

Sandra Oh.

Edward and Emilia Fox (but not James and Laurence).

And James Fucking Nesbitt.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                    Me it has to be Ricky Gervais, I hate him with a passion, smug unfunny shitehawk.
                                    I watched that 2016 movie on David Brent today, having been a fan of The Office. It was a tour de force of all the reasons to hate Gervais, with redeeming moments. A microcosm of his entire career.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                      My friend (ex-National Theatre) describes herself in the singular as an actress, but generally, in the context of others as an actor, as in "other actors".

"Actor" describes the job, and "actress" is often used in a pejorative way. My mate is quite relaxed about it as she's been in the profession since the 1970s, but prefers "actors" to "actors and actresses" and can see why younger people might prefer "actor".
                                      Aye.

I get the point, and actress does sometimes carry baggage.

Comment

Jack Black

Comment

Oh yeah, that fuck.

Comment

Yup, Jack Black and Sandra Oh for me, too.

Comment

Cameron Diaz
                                              Jude Law

In fact, all the stars of the skin-crawling The Holiday apart from Kate Winslet, who I like. But she is dreadfully wasted in that movie.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                Jodie Foster.

Bill Murray.

Sandra Oh.

Edward and Emilia Fox (but not James and Laurence).

And James Fucking Nesbitt.
                                                Hang on. You *don't* hate Laurence Fox? Surely that's far and away the most illogical and undeserving response on the whole thread

Comment

Maybe he does hate LF, but that’s not irrational?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X