Stacey Dooley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

If you go with surnames only, you get Daly Deeley Dooley Healey, which I think came second in the Eurovision Song Contest in the seventies.
    Those Irish are always bloody there or thereabouts.

Comment

I quite like Dooley, who my young adult daughter will watch on documentaries, reflecting and learning something. Reggie Yates does a similar thing of appearing a bit naive and open minded, without being crass or stupid, when investigating potentially difficult social topics. I suspect they’ve learnt this style from watching Louis Theroux, who’s a master at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
        I've never even heard of Cherry Healey.

Me neither, which I find a bit odd, because I'm usually fairly up of these sort of ubiquitous and high profile media types even if I've never actually watched one of their programmes.

Oh, and I'm another fan of Dooley. She addresses difficult topics in an approachable way, especially for younger audiences, and is genuinely empathetic which helps elicit more from her interviewees that perhaps a more professional but less emotional presenter would.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
          I suspect they’ve learnt this style from watching Louis Theroux, who’s a master at it.

Who himself probably learnt his approach from Nick Broomfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Me neither, which I find a bit odd, because I'm usually fairly up of these sort of ubiquitous and high profile media types even if I've never actually watched one of their programmes.
            Basically, what you're saying, is that you're no longer "down with the kids", and you don't like it. Any minute now you'll be writing to the local paper and complaining about "young kids today".

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
              Oh, and I'm another fan of Dooley. She addresses difficult topics in an approachable way, especially for younger audiences, and is genuinely empathetic which helps elicit more from her interviewees that perhaps a more professional but less emotional presenter would.
              To be clear, I don't have a problem with Stacey Dooley per se - but if she's going to be interviewed herself, then she needs to be prepared.

Comment

I was in a crabby mood when I started this thread. But, basically what Jah is saying there, If you're going to go on another show to promote what you are doing and then stay on there to be part of the rest of the show and every single time the conversation is passed to you laugh and say you don't know and chortle how that's really bad, innit, that you don't know anyfink? then really what is the point?

Maybe I should seek out some of her actual endeavours and watch them instead of forming an impression based on trailers for shows. I'd avoided her because based on what I'd seen I thought she was an Ali G for the new generation but apparently she's not.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post

Basically, what you're saying, is that you're no longer "down with the kids", and you don't like it. Any minute now you'll be writing to the local paper and complaining about "young kids today".

Frankly, as the father of a couple of teenagers, I feel as though I'm hanging on in there, listening to music that I wouldn't otherwise be exposed to, getting the odd TV or film recommendation, finding out what the latest memes and buzzwords are, which YouTubers are in or out, which strand of social media is currently favoured and so on. I don't think, and I could be very wrong about this, that Cherry Healey is someone they're into.

Jenna Marbles, though - now you're talking.

Comment

Is she on Bebo? I must follow her.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      Maybe I should seek out some of her actual endeavours and watch them instead of forming an impression based on trailers for shows. I'd avoided her because based on what I'd seen I thought she was an Ali G for the new generation but apparently she's not.

She's more a working class Louis Theroux, though with a bit more genuine naivete.

(My best mate was at school with Theroux - preferred his older brother Marcel.)

Comment

I didn't make my previous observation entirely facetiously – I genuinely did take a good while to twig that Cherry Healey and Stacey Dooley are different people. Not being in the target demographic for much of their stuff, I bracketed/conflated them as 'BBC Three "get their name in their programme title" people'... or, rather, person.

Cherry I have actually seen in action a little more nowadays, as she co-presents Inside The Factory with Gregg Wallace (and, alas to a lesser degree, the almost perfectly sane Ruth Goodman), each episode featuring the progress of a different consumer good from source materials to finished packed product – mostly foodstuffs, from fish fingers to teabags, but occasionally things like toilet rolls or Faber-Castell pencils.
                        While Gregg spends his time charging around the factory roaring in amazement that, say, the ingredients for Cornish pasties are cooked inside the pasty or McVitie's chocolate digestives have the chocolate applied to the underside of the biscuit, cheery Cherry goes off to find some food scientists or whatever and spends her time going bug-eyed in astonishment that some cheeses melt differently from others or that a cup of tea will taste better if you leave it to brew for longer than 30 seconds. Ruth meanwhile gets a bit delving into the history around the product or something associated. It's fun and informative, albeit involves an inevitable amount of head-in-hands at the (put on?) gormlessness of two-thirds of the presenting team.

Comment

I'd avoided her because based on what I'd seen I thought she was an Ali G for the new generation but apparently she's not.
                          That would indeed be harsh.

Comment

There are plenty of worse journalists at the Beeb than Dooley, and many of them are presenting their "serious, grown-up" current affairs output.

And she was good on Strictly, which is great.

Comment

Fuck yeah, I mean she couldn't do a worse job of holding Tory ministers to account in an interview than Kuenssberg does.

Comment

I'd avoided her because based on what I'd seen I thought she was an Ali G for the new generation but apparently she's not.
                                You're thinking of Philomena Cunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                  I'm guessing that you aren't doing so in the national media? I think if someone like Stacey Dooley is asked to appear by R5 and agrees to do so, then both parties have at least 'some' responsibility toward her knowing what she's talking about. She's not just some Joe Schmoe off the street, she's a highly-paid BBC presenter.
                                  For the last 15 years I have had to listen to Farage, Griffin and Hokpins (plus numerous others) 'not know what they're talking about', lie and stir hate.

I have no idea what her contractual status is, what I do know is that she appears to get 'sneered' at for what she does by some media types and punters. I also know, from personal experience, that she inspires young people to talk about such things as modern slavery and sex trafficking.

There's a lot worse out there.

Comment

Agree with that.

Comment

Well, of course most of us would agree with that.

However, the question is one of ‘being prepared’ if one is going to take on media interviews. She’s been in this game long enough to understand about professionalism.

Comment

I get that she was being unprofessional.

My beef is with the idea of her being thick, a parody, not a real journo, etc, etc.

It's not just this thread, the White Saviour thread and some of the general unpleasantness on social media toward her grates a little.

Comment

Although his style is immensely grating, a word in defence of that Rylan: he's by some distance the only UK personality involved in Eurovision who knows anything about what he's talking about (or, at least, doesn't cover up any knowledge with the old 'oh, nobody likes us, that's why we never win' card - see one G Norton - rather than seeing that the UK does poorly because its entries are often awful). When presented with the offerings in the most recent 'you decides' (2019 and before) he was the only panel member to diplomatically say that a lot of what was on show was rubbish/wouldn't get near winning; and his other Eurovision work is well-done and demonstrates a care and understanding of the subject.

(I appreciate Eurovision is seen as pretty fluffy and silly, but he at least knows his stuff, takes it seriously, and presents it well)

Comment

I think - given that he’s Irish and likely doesn’t care a hoot - Graham Norton’s comments on the UK’s lack of success shouldn’t be taken as any kind of gospel. But I’d be surprised if anyone genuinely believes that that’s all down to the songs being ‘awful’. (I mean, they are, but then so are 98% of the others on offer.)

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                                            I get that she was being unprofessional.

My beef is with the idea of her being thick, a parody, not a real journo, etc, etc.

It's not just this thread, the White Saviour thread and some of the general unpleasantness on social media toward her grates a little.
                                            She ‘is’ a real journo, but if she’s going to be regarded in the same light as some of her more illustrious contemporaries, then she needs to be across all this stuff, I’d have thought.

However, my guess is that SD doesn’t really want that, hence her sudden propensity for turning up on all these celeb reality shows. I certainly don’t begrudge her her success (or indeed her making hay while the sun shines) - that’s entirely up to her - but it very firmly places her on the side of ‘entertainment’ rather than ‘journalism’ per se.

Comment

When I read this thread, I hear a touch of the centrist dads. I could be getting it all wrong, but there's lots of grappling for words to describe what ultimately feels as much of a sense of discombobulation that the kids like some different things to what we liked, and that this is wrong.

I mean, the only thing to say about Dooley if you don't like her is to say you don't like her. To say she's a bit thick is at best unnecessary and at worst comes across as a bit misogynistic.

I was agnostic about her, but my kids loved her on Strictly, and in time, so did I (she trained above our kids' former nursery, so there was a local connection which appealed). I've since watched her shows and she's got a way that's clearly geared at a younger audience, but she gets into the hard places and does good reportage. She's clearly being groomed for mainstream stardom by the BBC.

With Stacey Dooley, and Strictly my kids are keeping my cultural life attuned to what's great about new stuff, not ossifying like the crusty old fart banging on about how it was better different in my day. I thought Rylan was a bellend. Then I listened to his show on Radio 2, and realised I was being a prick. And saw him on Celebrity Masterchef, and he was great. And Celebrity Gogglebox. Ditto. And Strictly Come Dancing's BBC2 spin off etc etc. And more - my daughter getting into Ru Paul's Drag Race has opened a whole new world of culture and politics to me and helped smooth my journey into getting my take right on trans issues (along with posts on the thread in World on this subject, I should add).

Comment

I said she sounded thick, which I know is splitting hairs, not that she was thick. Clearly she ain't, given the comments on here about her work from people who have watched her programmes. (I've also said I was in a crabby mood when I started this thread on the back of hearing her giggle about not knowing anything while being the guest on a radio show, which irritated me because I'm sure there are people who could have talked about those things who could have been on that show.)

I don't watch Strictly so hadn't seen her on that.

So, yeah, I'm judging her on limited exposure and that was harsh. The comments on here have made me think about watching some of her stuff, which paradoxically her promo work on Radio 5 really did not do.

(I've also switched back to Absolute Radio 90s in the morning now so won't be exposed to BBC self promotion in the immediate future.)

Comment

I think that she plays up on the harmless wide-eyed schtick because that's kind of the role she's been expected to play. I think it's a minor miracle that she was able to make the documentaries she has, because here is somebody from the recent past who works for the BBC yet hadn't been fast-tracked into a role via Oxbridge.
                                                  It's a real achievement!
                                                  Last edited by Mr Delicieux; 20-08-2020, 12:14.

Comment

I’d venture that the ‘Oxbridge-mafia’ fast-tracking of on-screen TV talent is more a thing of the past these days.

As we’ve surmised via this thread, the BBC (especially, but not exclusively) these days loves creating celebs from ordinary Joes who find their way onto other BBC shows - whether characterless walking tailors‘ dummies, dimwitted next-door types or ghastly ‘controversial’ figures like that person from The Apprentice whose name I refuse to utter.

Stacey Dooley is effectively this, rescued somewhat by actually having some kind of raison d’etre.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X