Stacey Dooley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stacey Dooley

This may seem harsh but I can't remember another "journalist" / presenter who just sounds so fucking thick as Stacey Dooley. She was on some show on Radio 5 over the weekend and her answer to every question started "I don't know..." before laughing at her own ignorance.

Anyway, Twitter is kicking off because she's fronted a Panorama about Covid babies that includes accessing midwife appointments and a maternity ward with a camera crew. A lot of people have pointed out that partners have been unilaterally banned from attending any of these appointments in most places in the country but it's OK to have a film crew in there.

I don't think she's thick. She's done some impressively tough interviews in amazingly inhospitable places. For instance, sex offenders, fundamentialist religious groups who trample over women's rights, etc. Some of those programmes on BBC Three were worth a tonne of BBC Four sleepy music docs. Maybe she has a schtick, maybe she plays up a bit the self depreciation. But you know, I quite like it.

Comment

We highlighted the main problems surrounding Dooley's work - it isn't really a 's(c)htick' - here around eighteen months back:

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...-versus-dooley

As I said on that thread, she's the classic BBC 'discovered' celebrity - a made-good grafter who unfortunately is now being re-cast as mainstream TV star, via appearances on these crappy dance contests and the like. This, to my mind anyway, undermines much of the occasionally decent work that she tries to do. (I remember a time when supposedly 'serious' journalists appearing on light-ent shows was for Christmas Day only.)

But I'd agree that she sometimes falls down when being grilled in interview because she doesn't seem to have the depth to hold her own in that kind of context. Working on that side of her game might prove a more enduring skill than perfecting a pasodoble, in my opinion anyway.

Comment

It's basically the same level as Ross Kemp on Gangs or Danny Dyer on hooligans. You end up thinking that it is about the presenter, because they aren't good/willing enough to blend into the background for the actual subject.

Actually, a better example is Gordon Buchanan, where his shows are 25% film of the animals and 75% showing him filming the animals. Get out of the way, Gordon, I want to see the bears.

Comment

The difference with Ross Kemp is that he was already a very recognisable TV face before being rather-predictably cast to present those tough-guy exposees that help fill the myriad channels we now have. Dooley at least pitched herself as a relatively-unknown twenty-year-old, so deserves some credit for that.

Comment

I fucking love Gordon Buchanan, man.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              I don't think she's thick. She's done some impressively tough interviews in amazingly inhospitable places. For instance, sex offenders, fundamentialist religious groups who trample over women's rights, etc. Some of those programmes on BBC Three were worth a tonne of BBC Four sleepy music docs. Maybe she has a schtick, maybe she plays up a bit the self depreciation. But you know, I quite like it.
              Me too. Some of her stuff takes plenty of nerve. That said I haven't seen the childbirth film yet and until recently I thought she and Cat Deeley were the same person

Comment

Oh, regarding the white saviour stuff, yeah, that's a serious (and in some ways for me) separate issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                  until recently I thought she and Cat Deeley were the same person
                  I've only recently found out that she's not Stacy Soloman, if that helps

Comment

At least Ms Dooley tries to produce something of value in her career - Stacey Solomon I don't understand the purpose of whatsoever. Similarly, that Rylan bloke who keeps getting thrust into presenting jobs that any number of people could do better. (Their vacuous personalities suggest to me that they both emerged from some reality programme or other.)

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                    Oh, regarding the white saviour stuff, yeah, that's a serious (and in some ways for me) separate issue.
                    It's clearly a far broader issue than that which prompted the thread I linked, for sure.

Comment

I think very few people would be able to do half as well what Stacey Dooley does in her kind of investigative journalism.

Comment

Totally agree about plastic Rylan. Who the fuck dug him up?

Comment

So do I.

Comment

Ha, my wife's just described Rylan as a modern Simon Dee...

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                              until recently I thought she and Cat Deeley were the same person
                              Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                              I've only recently found out that she's not Stacy Soloman, if that helps
                              Yeah, you were both obviously wrong there. Cat Deeley is the same person as Tess Daly. Stacey Dooley is the same person as Cherry Healey.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                Ha, my wife's just described Rylan as a modern Simon Dee...
                                Nah, Simon Dee at least had ‘something’.

Zeitgeist appeal, perhaps.

Comment

I think "20s" and "BBC3" are key here. If she gets her target audience talking about the issues in a language they understand, than all well and good.

Obviously, some may see BBC Radio 5, as *ahem* more grown up, and she may struggle, but I rather someone be honest and say they don't, as opposed to turning into a rent-a-gob. We have plenty of those in the media.

As for laughing at her own ignorance, I do it all the time. I dunno, maybe she is emotionally intelligent or summat.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    Totally agree about plastic Rylan. Who the fuck dug him up?
                                    Simon Fucking Cowell and his acolytes - no fucking surprises there then.

As for the Stacey confusion, whenever I hear Ms. Solomon speak I get weird flashbacks to Bernie Winters and at least he had Schnorbitz.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                                      I think "20s" and "BBC3" are key here. If she gets her target audience talking about the issues in a language they understand, than all well and good.

Obviously, some may see BBC Radio 5, as *ahem* more grown up, and she may struggle, but I rather someone be honest and say they don't, as opposed to turning into a rent-a-gob. We have plenty of those in the media.

As for laughing at her own ignorance, I do it all the time. I dunno, maybe she is emotionally intelligent or summat.
                                      I'm guessing that you aren't doing so in the national media? I think if someone like Stacey Dooley is asked to appear by R5 and agrees to do so, then both parties have at least 'some' responsibility toward her knowing what she's talking about. She's not just some Joe Schmoe off the street, she's a highly-paid BBC presenter.

Comment

Yeah, you were both obviously wrong there. Cat Deeley is the same person as Tess Daly. Stacey Dooley is the same person as Cherry Healey.
                                        That is very well observed by VA there. On the latter comparison at least, I mean, tbh I think I've managed to avoid ever seeing anything with Cat Deeley in it.

Comment

I've never even heard of Cherry Healey.

She sounds like a kid's colourful shoe.

Comment

Cherry Healey has similar critical faculties to a colourful shoe. 'Amazing' appears to be the only adjective she knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                              And there is me getting criticised for saying you all look the same.
                                              Maybe she does not know because she is a presenter and has little to do with the programme besides what she does in front of the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                If you go with surnames only, you get Daly Deeley Dooley Healey, which I think came second in the Eurovision Song Contest in the seventies.

Comment

Ha ha, by Tony Ferrino, that one!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X