• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Him off that Thing has died RIP

Wilford Brimley has died aged 85

(You know.

Off of Cocoon and other stuff.)
    Last edited by Guy Profumo; 02-08-2020, 10:38.

So, do I need Snake to amend the title please?

Comment

I've never heard of the cunt. But commiserations anyway.

Comment

Probably best known to a generation as the "diabeetus" meme.

Comment

I mean, I thought he was 85 30 years ago.

Good actor. Had that jolly-old-guy-being-pensive-at-his-life-getting-pissed-away whimsy thing down pat.

Comment

Obviously missed the utterly rib-cracking diabeetus thing, but the Brimley/Cocoon line is also quite hilarious

​​​​​​https://twitter.com/brimleyline

Comment

https://twitter.com/pat_healy/status/1289768158702612481

Brimley meets John Woo

Comment

I covered an FDA meeting where he testified.

He wasn’t that old. He was only slightly older than Robert Redford when he played “Pop” in The Natural.

He was great in The Firm and all those oatmeal commercials.

Comment

He was 50 when he played on Old Folks in Cocoon. 50! Practically a kid.

Brimley could do the "jolly-old-guy-being-pensive-at-his-life-getting-pissed-away whimsy" well, but he was scary as fuck in The Firm.

Politically he was a bit of a dick, though. And he supported cock-fighting, so it seems best to give regard to his acting career.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                    He was 50 when he played on Old Folks in Cocoon. 50! Practically a kid.
                    I'll use this as an excuse to mention something I didn't realise til I read it on Twitter recently - Richard Wilson was only 52 when he was cast in One Foot In The Grave (and initially turned it down thinking he was too young, meaning they tried to offer it to Les Dawson). I know that this way lies Dad's Army, but there you go.

Comment

Wasn't the point about OFitG that Victor had been forced to take early retirement?

(much against his will, in a similar manner to Richard Bucket?)

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                        Wasn't the point about OFitG that Victor had been forced to take early retirement?
                        (much against his will, in a similar manner to Richard Bucket?)
                        He'd been made redundant but was still supposed to be 60 apparently.

Comment

I fucking love Hard Target. It is way better than it should be and somehow manages to kick up a gear when Brimley comes into it.

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                          He was 50 when he played on Old Folks in Cocoon. 50! Practically a kid
                          This Twitter account notes when actors get to the same age of Brimley in Cocoon.

[URL="https://twitter.com/BrimleyLine/status/1288468278432669696"]https://twitter.com/BrimleyLine/stat...68278432669696[/URL]

Comment

That's brilliant.

I had the slightly disconcerting experience recently of being exactly as old as my father was when he died at 54. I might look my age, but he looked much older than I do now. Lifestyle helps in that regard, of course. By the time he was 22, he had lived through the Depression and the Third Reich, fought on the Eastern Front, lost his father to the Gestapo, his brother to the war, and his baby son to who knows what, and was worried what will become of him. By the time I was 22, I had been to Live Aid and was worried whether I should wear the black or the white shirt to the club tonight.

Plus, moisturising!

Comment

Working...
                            X