The Curse Of Harry Potter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    Jim Broadbent once complained that he'd won an Oscar, an Emmy and other awards, but every time he got a taxi the driver would say "you're Slater from Only Fools and Horses ". He was only in three episodes.
    I remember Jim Broadbent as Patrick Barlow's straight man.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      Fuck, I always thought it was an exaggeration but this thread is beginning to reveal to me the to me the sheer amount of British actors who have been in the franchise.

What about Ian McShane? (Don't know the answer but I'm guessing not, as he's based in the States).
      Ian McShane played Ron in the last two films. His range is much more than the critics would have you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
        That reminds me of someone I know who was up in Edinburgh for the Fringe. And he was sitting in a cafe opposite The Actor Steven Berkoff who was currently Acting in a Very Important Play during the Fringe, probably about how Important Acting Is.

Eventually, he managed to pluck up the courage to go over and say something to Mr Berkoff,

"Mr Berkoff, I'm a big fan of your work"
        "Why thankyou very much."
        "I especially liked you in Rambo III."
        Reeeeeaaaaaalllly? Cos that is absolutely the perfect person to do that to which makes the story too perfect.

"...soft, fleshy bodies of the village elders..."

You say all this about the actors, but someone I used to know worked on some of those bloody films. I don't even know anyone who was in The Bill (though I do know one EastEnders, so that's Fashy Potter 1 Stenders 1).

6. Bentdick Cucumber

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post

6. Bentdick Cucumber
          I think his star was rising just as the Harry Potter movies were winding down.

Comment

I think a more difficult task would be to find someone who hasn't been in one of the Harry Potter, LOTR/ Hobbit or Game of Thrones franchise's

Comment

I think a more difficult task would be to find someone who hasn't been in one of the Harry Potter, LOTR/ Hobbit or Game of Thrones franchise's
              Danny Dyer.

(And apparently he lobbied hard to be in GoT.)

Comment

Patrick Stewart comes to mind (while suggesting an additional test)

Comment

Patrick Stewart
                  Michael Sheen
                  ​​​​​​​Stephen Graham

Comment

The oily ones I can think of are Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Ben Kingsley, Penelope Wilton and Joss Ackland's Spunky Backback.

Comment

Kathy Burke, Jennifer Saunders.

Comment

Reeeeeaaaaaalllly? Cos that is absolutely the perfect person to do that to which makes the story too perfect.
                        Yup.

Comment

Ian McShane was in a few episodes of Game of Thrones. He annoyed fans by plot spoiling during an interview but was not bothered by this at all, piquing their ire further by saying it was all a load of "tits and dragons" anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                            The oily ones I can think of are Judi Dench, Helen Mirren, Ben Kingsley, Penelope Wilton and Joss Ackland's Spunky Backback.
                            That's a bit harsh, Stumpy.

Comment

I was convinced I'd seen all the Harry Potter films, but my daughter (Potter obsessive) informs me that all the clips I can recount are from the same film, which I must have seen multiple times. The one with Ian Brown sat in the pub.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                Patrick Stewart comes to mind (while suggesting an additional test)
                                Ah yes, Professor Picard (and his good friend, Erik Gandalf).

Comment

So, Robbie Coltrane has the curse...

Comment

"...soft, fleshy bodies of the village elders..."

You say all this about the actors, but someone I used to know worked on some of those bloody films. I don't even know anyone who was in The Bill (though I do know one EastEnders, so that's Fashy Potter 1 Stenders 1).

6. Bentdick Cucumber
                                    The thing is though that Berkoff is both an Ac-tor and someone who completely despises the whole luvvieeshnees of his industry. I've read couple of his memoirs and he had nothing but good things to say about both Eddie Murphy (who he acted opposite in Beverley Hills Cop) and Sylvester Stallone. The Berkoffness comes in stories such as the one where he gives Stallone a copy of Corialanius because he thinks that it would be perfect for Stallone to both branch out and take his 80s audience with him.

serious about his work to the point of pretension - absolutely.
                                    Serious about himself to the same extent - I don't think so*

*I stand to be corrected by people on this board who have probably met him. All you fuckers know everybody, don't you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                      Ian McShane was in a few episodes of Game of Thrones. He annoyed fans by plot spoiling during an interview but was not bothered by this at all, piquing their ire further by saying it was all a load of "tits and dragons" anyway.
                                      Was that back when they were based on already published novels?

Comment

They changed loads from the novels early in though.

Comment

Harry bloody Potter. I had a similar rant a couple of years back when the stage production of same won the Evening Standard Stage Show of the Year award for the third time.

The equivalent of continually awarding Coldplay 'Best Band' without bothering to make the effort to listen to anyone else.

Comment

I'm contractually obligated to point out that Ed Tudor Pole was Mr Borgin in a Harry Potter film, but his scenes were cut and appear only in the expanded DVD. And he was in Game of Thrones as a raving street preacher for about 8 seconds.

Comment

Natalia Tena is in both GoT and Potter (minor parts). As is Ciaran Hinds. Can't think of any others.

Comment

Originally posted by kokamoa View Post

The thing is though that Berkoff is both an Ac-tor and someone who completely despises the whole luvvieeshnees of his industry. I've read couple of his memoirs and he had nothing but good things to say about both Eddie Murphy (who he acted opposite in Beverley Hills Cop) and Sylvester Stallone. The Berkoffness comes in stories such as the one where he gives Stallone a copy of Corialanius because he thinks that it would be perfect for Stallone to both branch out and take his 80s audience with him.

serious about his work to the point of pretension - absolutely.
                                                Serious about himself to the same extent - I don't think so*

*I stand to be corrected by people on this board who have probably met him. All you fuckers know everybody, don't you.
                                                Rather bizarrely, I'm friends with him on Facebook. Never met him but know him through a friend of a friend kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Was that back when they were based on already published novels?
                                                  No, I think he was in one of the later seasons when they'd run out of book material and it all started to go to shit.

Comment

Never realised that poor old Leslie Phillips was thus cursed too. Hope he got some good cash out of it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X