The Curse Of Harry Potter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Curse Of Harry Potter

Just seen in The Graun that Julie Walters is a "Harry Potter" star. Fucking ridiculous.

I'm surprised that the Guardian would call her that. Smash Hits (I may be giving away my age by not knowing what a modern magazine aimed at youth would be called) would be justified in calling her that, given that's that's where their readers would most likely have seen her, but I'm surprised at the Guardian. She's the one out of Dinnerladies, isn't she?

Comment

Also, would probably be pertinent as to whether this was print version or online. "Harry Potter Star Does Whatever" is going to generate more clicks than anything else that she was in.

Comment

Yes, it's clicks and search engine metadata.

Comment

Will never better her performance as Mrs Overall in Acorn Antiques (though there's a fair few decent turns on her CV).

Comment

Well, there was an infamous magazine article that referenced a famous group as the "Hey Jude Hitmakers".

I reckon when Bob Dylan goes, he'll be referred to as a 'protest singer'. I mean, how many of his LPs would you describe as such. Two?

Comment

Jim Broadbent once complained that he'd won an Oscar, an Emmy and other awards, but every time he got a taxi the driver would say "you're Slater from Only Fools and Horses ". He was only in three episodes.

Comment

The Harry Potter series (and to an extent the Lord of the Rings franchise) was all a bit of a trade off - decent payday for a lot of British actors towards the end of their careers but massively more commercially successful than most other things they'd done, so to many people they are that character from the series.

Alan Rickman had this when he died of course - at a push he was "Harry Potter and Die Hard actor" but mostly just "Harry Potter actor".

Comment

Yeah. It totally overshadows his work in "Love, Actually".

Comment

That reminds me of someone I know who was up in Edinburgh for the Fringe. And he was sitting in a cafe opposite The Actor Steven Berkoff who was currently Acting in a Very Important Play during the Fringe, probably about how Important Acting Is.

Eventually, he managed to pluck up the courage to go over and say something to Mr Berkoff,

"Mr Berkoff, I'm a big fan of your work"
                    "Why thankyou very much."
                    "I especially liked you in Rambo III."

Comment

Wow. The silence that followed that must have been stonier than Castle Rock.

For me, Alan Rickman was always the Sheriff of Nottingham, calling off Christmas.

Comment

"someone"

Comment

Jason Isaacs was fine with Harry Potter as--without the Lucius Malfoy wig--no one recognized him and he said he could wander around London unmolested.

Although I expect his turn in Star Trek: Discovery has changed all that.

Comment

You could make a decent dinner party game with 50 printed cards of famous British actors, where you had to guess which ten WEREN'T in Harry Potter. I'll start you off. John Cleese?

Comment

Nearly Headless Nick

Comment

2. Alun Armstrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                  You could make a decent dinner party game with 50 printed cards of famous British actors, where you had to guess which ten WEREN'T in Harry Potter. I'll start you off. John Cleese?
                                  I thought the famous thesps who weren't in Harry Potter were all in Game of Thrones?

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                    2. Alun Armstrong?
                                    Ooh, I'm actually going to say ... no!

3. Shirley Henderson

Comment

3. Shirley Henderson
                                      Moaning Myrtle

Comment

Ooh, I'm actually going to say ... no!
                                        Correct. He was in an episode of Downton though, which could have its own version of the game.

Comment

4. David Tennant

Comment

4. David Tennant
                                            Barty Crouch Jr

Comment

5. Lenny Henry

Comment

The Bus driver the fourth one (I think)

Comment

Fuck, I always thought it was an exaggeration but this thread is beginning to reveal to me the sheer amount of British actors who have been in the franchise.

What about Ian McShane? (Don't know the answer but I'm guessing not, as he's based in the States).
                                                  Last edited by Jon; 29-07-2020, 00:02.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X