Long shot - film scene with a lettuce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long shot - film scene with a lettuce

Years ago (and I mean when I was a young teen) I watched a film on TV with my family that was about a guy who I think did American civil war re-enactments. It was a fairly standard sort of drama, but there was one scene that really stuck out to me. The main character had his own method of preparing a lettuce, which was to bash the bottom of the lettuce hard on a counter to break all the leaves off at once.

In the course of the plot he becomes friendly with another woman and his wife suspects they are having an affair, which he denies. He claims not to have been close to her and stuff. Then the wife and some other friends of his are at this woman's house and she is preparing food for them all and she uses the patented lettuce preparation "Bash" technique, at which point everyone in the scene gasps. I didn't understand what the big deal was until my Dad explained that it meant the guy has been spending time with her after all because he had taught her that technique. It was the first time I really understood that a person's actions could give them away like that. A proper revelatory moment, that has always stuck with me.

Can anyone here recognise that film? It would have been made no later than the early 80s. I'm sure it had a subplot of American civil way re-enactments in it. It was set in small town America. And one of the lead characters was betrayed by salad.

It's not much to go on, but someone here might have seen it.

And more to the point, can anyone confirm if this method of instant lettuce dismemberment actually works in real life? I'd like to see that, and indeed to be able to pull it off, as it sounds like it ought to revolutionise salad preparation.

Comment

No idea on the movie, but with Iceberg lettuce the bashing works really well. Gets a nice little cone core you can remove.

I'd think it's common enough that it seems like a red herring for a movie script though.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
        And more to the point, can anyone confirm if this method of instant lettuce dismemberment actually works in real life? I'd like to see that, and indeed to be able to pull it off, as it sounds like it ought to revolutionise salad preparation.
        Yes, it absolutely does. I worked in a restaurant in high school and the Greek prep cook used to do this and it amazed me. Basically, you bash the head downward on the counter onto the stem and then pull the stem straight out, easy-peasy. It might not occur to you making one salad in the kitchen, but a guy who processes 50 heads of lettuce a day is bound to learn a few shortcuts.

Comment

And I think the movie you want is Sweet Liberty, with Alan Alda.

[This review even mentions coring the lettuce. https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-fe9258e7b829/ ]
          Last edited by WOM; 28-05-2020, 14:10.

Comment

Yes I was taught it while working in a kitchen preparing salads too. It's a really good way of doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
              betrayed by salad
              Great Hallmark movie title, BTW

Comment

Who has an affair and spends time preparing lettuce?

Comment

'Getting your salad tossed' not a euphemism around your way?

Comment

We do!

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

[This review even mentions coring the lettuce. https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-fe9258e7b829/ ]
                      I remember that film.

Comment

'Getting your salad tossed' not a euphemism around your way?
                        “He’s been bashing the lettuce round at No. 53.”

Comment

So do I, went on a first date to see it ,we left before the end to go to the pub.

Comment

PT's in for a real treat when he checks his thread.

Comment

Hahah, well I've learned something today at any rate. Next time I get hold of a lettuce I'm going to try this. Does it work with cos-type ones, do we know, though, or does it require a crisp iceberg sort?

Comment

I've only seen it done with the crisp iceberg heads.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUNyN6T7uHU

So the Your Produce Guy also had an affair with PT's leading lady?

Comment

Well, it was Michelle Pfeiffer when she was young....

Comment

Yes, I think that is it. Mate, you have saved my sanity.

I probably watched it because it had Michelle Pfeiffer in. I'd watch any movie with her in. I still will, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
                                        PT's leading lady?
                                        Mrs Thistle is my leading lady. But she likes Michelle Pfeiffer as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                          Who has an affair and spends time preparing lettuce?
                                          The idea of additional salad preparation wasn't on my list of reasons not to have an affair, but I will add it.

Comment

In the spirit of the opening post, that review mentions " an actual script floating around Hollywood about the atomic bomb, in which the scientists at Los Alamos have a food fight" and that does sound familiar. What script/film was it?

Comment

I'm coming up empty. Let me know if you remember.

Comment

Fat Man and Little Boy (1989) fits the timeline and is the right subject matter, but I've never seen it. Paul Newman leads a decent looking cast.

Comment

Betrayed by salad could be a documentary about Bolton Wanderers in the JJ Okocha says

Comment

Working...
                                                  X