No announcement yet.

The Wire dialogue query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clarke Peters was on newsnight a couple of weeks ago, talking about BLM and how British racism is more subtle,polite and well spoken and therefore far more insidious.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
      Both of those things can be true, of course.

and as The Greek says

"my name is not my name" ..." I'm not even Greek"
      I've never known whether that's supposed to be a literal statement, or if he was joking, having had a new passport (Croatian, I think?) from the montage when they're around the table and eating and drinking. That whole sequence with the Greek song and the fax being wheeled to Koutris is peak use of music in the show.

Comment

Given the Greek dialogue at the restaurant, and his cultural preferences, I take the comment as a joking reference to his ID under the new fake passport.

Comment

The plotline of CIA officials trading some level of immunity to drug dealers for other information (terrorism, other drug dealers) also featured in Colombiana and in The Departed. But what makes the move so interesting in The Wire is that the move shows that the so-called war on drugs (as if you can fight a war against a thing) has trickled down to the local level, has been unfunded, and really isn't much of a concern for the people who got this so-called war started. They have moved on.

Comment

Working...
          X