Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killing Eve and Saving Villanelle

Haven't seen a Killing Eve thread.

I mean as of now, it's on Mount Rushmore. Right next to Sopranos, Breaking Bad, and The Wire.

This season 3....I'm so happy watching it on Monday afternoons because it takes me about 5-6 hours to decompress. I couldn't imagine sitting in bed with my legs trembling at 1 in the morning having to teach in a few hours.

It's as good as any Scorcese, any film ever made. Camera, pacing, subtlety, bombasticness, color, beauty.

Don't know what else to say other than episodes 3-5 is as good as it gets. Filmmaking, writing, acting, twists and turns, heart-pounding fear.

It's Dusty Rhodes vs the Four Horsemen level of pro wrestling.

Like this season started with a Soviet gymnast on the high bars, all you can do is watch and pray they continue to keep it up and stick the landing.

Like Denmark in 1992, you pray for miracles and they can hold the lead.

You can find a lot of discussion on Killing Eve in the behemoth that is the Current Watching thread, JV.

Jack Seale (former OTFer) speaks for me:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...rk-killing-eve

This was linked on the aforementioned thread. His assertion that it lasted 4 and a half episodes before jumping the shark chimes in more or less with mine. By the end of the series I was thinking, yes it's been a glorious ride but I just didn't need more of the same. I haven't seen it post series 1 so I have no idea if I made the right decision or not. One of the best things I liked about it was seeing Martin from The Bridge again. Now that's a programme I could watch in perpetuity.

Comment

I can't quite agree, JV, though I do think this season has improved since the first episode. I'm still finding it pretty predictable and fanservicey narratively speaking, and I preferred Villanelle as an outright sociopath rather than whatever she is being written as now, but it's definitely entertaining.

Comment

I guess I actually line up pretty with Jon (and the reviewer). Thought the first couple episodes were astonishingly good, with diminishing returns after. I've also not watched beyond the first season.

Glad to see Sandra Oh in a massive hit (again?) though. She's one of the best we've got in TV/Film.

Comment

I posted up that Jack Seale piece (although, obtusely, it was actually in the Deteriorating Sitcom thread) as it pretty much summed up my feelings towards the show, which were it very quickly entered diminishing returns (a phase I now see matt j used too) territory.

Here's what I put on 'Current Watching' most recently about it ;

I thought series two was a massive drop in quality, the endless alliances and realignments of the main characters and general stretching of the central premise was like 'Homeland' - another series that didn't really need a follow up.

I'll probably give series three a try because...lockdown.
          ...and a month later it remains as yet unwatched.

Comment

Thanks Jon for letting me know about that link. I'm always ecstatic and always an honor to be on the opposite side of Glue Factory Rendering.

I mean it's predictable in the sense it will have to follow the pattern of any series, like Walt going up against Tuco then Tuco's Uncle then Gus then the Cartel then the Young Up and Coming Bucks. Obviously they'll be up against #1 of the 12....But the acting and writing has always kept me buzzed like an eternal filled copper cup of Moscow Mule. Every episode has left me dazzled. Bedazzled. Sparkles in the eyes.

I would encourage everyone to see Season 3 Episodes 3-5 now. Then if those suck, I'll never bring it up again.

But it is hilarious seeing the split across the ocean, like Sade. The single most mindblowing thing, way back in Euro 2000 when I first got on otf, was finding out Sade was seen as Kenny G over there (including prime zombie-fighting weapons,) while here she was the almighty Dark Queen, decades before her dark prince The Weeknd arrived. It's always fascinating to see what piece of art that opposite quantum spin lands on.

Comment

I was in the States the summer of 1988 and Sade's Paradise was coming out of every car window or door that I passed. I think the Americans got that one right - Sade has always been criminally underrated in the UK.

Comment

I love the two leading actresses, love the settings, the clothes(!), the dialogue, but the violence, stylish or not, just sickens me and for that reason, I'm out after Series 2. Also found the lack of resolution a boring wind-up rather than intriguing, I just don't care what happens to either of them.

Comment

Yes all that. Loved the first series, but the second seemed to have been written in haste and confusion. "OMIGOD we have to do another one! But...but... how!"

As noted elsewhere, we watched the first episode of s3, but the channel carrying it here has changed, now ads are splattered randomly and frequently throughout. Might pick it up again when it's On Demand, we'll see.

Comment

Well, to be fair they did know where they were going because they're based on a four-volume set by Luke Jennings, who must have instantly set the bar for greatest spy novelist who was a dance critic for The Observer.

Comment

Do you know what? Such has been the success of the TV programme, that I had completely forgotten that it was based on a series of novels.

Comment

I've got this series available on my one of my streaming services. I saw Sandra Oh was in it, but haven't got around to watch it yet. form what I read on this thread I suppose season 1 and then straight to season 3 is the best way to watch it.

Comment

I think that's a little unfair. Season 2 is harmless enough, and perfectly fine to watch. It just doesn't come close to the heights of the first season. If you were judging it by the standards of most of the landfill TV that's out there, it's still pretty good. You'd rather be watching it that another series of NCIS:Lowestoft.

Comment

Season 3 is shaping up pretty good, tbf.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                              You'd rather be watching it that another series of NCIS:Lowestoft.
                              Oooo! Where can watch that?

Comment

Finished this and it does seem like the law of diminishing returns but there were some highpoints. I enjoyed the Russian homecoming episode particularly. As has been mentioned, it is still better than a whole load of crap but I would be happy for that to be the last series.

Comment

Finished watching KE Series III a couple of weeks ago. As everyone says, the two leading women - well, all three, tbf - are excellent as ever, and Jodie Comer's comic skills are quite something to behold.

It felt more like a series of humorous set-pieces this time, however, with the narrative a bit more linear and obvious than previously. I'll still tune in to the (inevitable) fourth series, though, just to observe Eve and Villanelle continuing their violent flirtation.

Comment

Working...
                                  X