No announcement yet.

Normal People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, my kids aren't as old as yours, but I did partly see it through the prism - not so much of my own uni years (which are a long time in the past now) - but of how things might be for them when they first get emotionally involved with people

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
      Both my daughters are planning to watch it soon (the other one is 16) and I'll be intrigued to see what they think of it.
      Bloody hell!

Comment

Up to episode 8 here in Ireland, and suddenly consciousness of your own working class status and/or heritage becomes very much apparent. That said, how many middle-class families would actually own an Italian villa (even allowing for the Celtic Tiger boom), and hard to believe that someone of that standing would be as boorish as Jamie, as notions of polite behaviour surely transcend social class?
        ​​​

Comment

He just doesn’t like Connell.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
            hard to believe that someone of that standing would be as boorish as Jamie, as notions of polite behaviour surely transcend social class?
            ​​​
            That has not been my experience.

Comment

Jamie is a bit of a cartoon bellend, but the fact of someone of his social class being an obnoxious cunt is not part of the cartoonishness.

Comment

The Jamie character is deeply unpleasant, but I read him has having his own mental health issues, hence his behaviour.

Also, Marianne is obviously bullied in school, but I think she is a bully herself to her peers, in a subtle clever way. They are just too dumb to realise it.

I enjoyed Laverte contribution to this thread. I was thinking along the same lines in terms of perceived gender roles in sexual relationships.
                Last edited by NickSTFU; 27-05-2020, 06:26.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alVbyTgJ828

I Knew I'd seen his big gormless gobshite head somewhere before.

Comment

Also, Marianne is obviously bullied in school, but I think she is a bully herself to her peers, in a subtle clever way. They are just too dumb to realise it.
                    Oh yeah, I mean it takes a while before you really see Marianne being a particularly giving person at all. Which is why the episode on Connell's depression is so good, when she really is clearly doing some proper giving and helping. And is growing as a result of it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alVbyTgJ828

I Knew I'd seen his big gormless gobshite head somewhere before.
                      Jaysus Berba, the rest of us knew he was " Ballyhaunis man" since the first episode.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                        I enjoyed Laverte contribution to this thread. I was thinking along the same lines in terms of perceived gender roles in sexual relationships.
                        I'm glad you brought that up because I meant to reply to that thoughtful post and then got distracted by some nonsense.

I guess to reiterate but expand on my post about kink is that Marianne is clearly sexual. Right away--maybe the first real kiss when she was alone with Connell (versus the kiss that happened when he was waiting for his mom) she asked if they could take their clothes off. But when it came to more BDSM forms of sexuality, she didn't have good partners. Jamie, as everyone has noted in this thread, was a selfish a**hole. And I think she wasn't in a good headspace in Sweden. I think when she asks Connell if he wants to hit her, that scene can be read as (A) that's how she has been relating with men sexually since she broke up with Connell after he went home for the summer, (B) she's wrestling what a general sense of numbness and thinking him hitting her will pull her out of that numbness, and/or (C) she trusts him and has maybe figured out that pain becomes more pleasurable when she's with a trusted partner.

At the end of the day, being a good sexual partner is like most things in life, we learn more about it based on experience. Her early experiences were bad. But even with Laverte's very thoughtful response, I guess I still see a kind of kink-shaming happening in the presentation of Marianne. She can only want these form of sexual relationships because she's damaged. And it's not until she's ready to settle down (the scene very late when she tells her friend that her life is completely boring and she loves it) that she's not damaged. Of course, the comfort in the mundane is fine. But I think that's too simplistic.

Comment

I liked it overall. I thought there were enough clues to the impact of the family dynamics on both of them. It was quite refreshing to not have everything laid out and explained.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post

I'm glad you brought that up because I meant to reply to that thoughtful post and then got distracted by some nonsense.

I guess to reiterate but expand on my post about kink is that Marianne is clearly sexual. Right away--maybe the first real kiss when she was alone with Connell (versus the kiss that happened when he was waiting for his mom) she asked if they could take their clothes off. But when it came to more BDSM forms of sexuality, she didn't have good partners. Jamie, as everyone has noted in this thread, was a selfish a**hole. And I think she wasn't in a good headspace in Sweden. I think when she asks Connell if he wants to hit her, that scene can be read as (A) that's how she has been relating with men sexually since she broke up with Connell after he went home for the summer, (B) she's wrestling what a general sense of numbness and thinking him hitting her will pull her out of that numbness, and/or (C) she trusts him and has maybe figured out that pain becomes more pleasurable when she's with a trusted partner.

At the end of the day, being a good sexual partner is like most things in life, we learn more about it based on experience. Her early experiences were bad. But even with Laverte's very thoughtful response, I guess I still see a kind of kink-shaming happening in the presentation of Marianne. She can only want these form of sexual relationships because she's damaged. And it's not until she's ready to settle down (the scene very late when she tells her friend that her life is completely boring and she loves it) that she's not damaged. Of course, the comfort in the mundane is fine. But I think that's too simplistic.
                            I interpreted the scene as a bit of A and a bit of C.

It is interesting that Marianne appeared to take the lead in their sexual encounters, and I think that, when it came to sex, she was the more mature, despite her perceived naivety and lack of confidence.

I wonder if Rooney imagined Connell immature sexually due to the influence of his mother.

Comment

https://twitter.com/emmajhade/status/1266052055191433216

Comment

Jesus!

Comment

Somewhere amongst my packs of old photos theres a picture of me in Paris in 1987 wearing a check shirt, O' Neills short shorts, white socks and runners, I couldn't look more Irish if I tried.

Comment

Let's hope that as far as his sartorial influence extends :

https://twitter.com/mescal_paul/status/1265376890723991554?s=21

Comment

Three episodes in and loving this, not going to read the rest of the thread yet.

Comment

That was OK, overall. Connell is very attractive but I didn’t need to see the side of his arse (or Marianne’s breasts) quite so much.

Fine acting, exasperating storyline “I love you” “I love you, too” “we’d better go fuck peripheral characters we’re not really interested in, so.” “right, yeh.”

Still, drama that doesn’t feature an autopsy is rare enough these days.

(My Dad was from Sligo, so I found that slightly interesting.)

Comment

The actor who plays Connell is one of the main characters in a new Pheobe Bridgers music video, which was directed by Phoebe Waller-Bridge. A lot of Phoebes on set.

https://www.facebook.com/phoebebridg...7568852315403/

Comment

Got round to the first two episodes recently. Quite sweet and a nostalgia trip for me personally. When I was at Trinity, the pre school Berbaslug and his mates Ken E, Shane G and Greg O would come into the park at lunchtimes and argue incessantly about conspiracies against Manchester United

But during last summer I found Middlemarch more compelling. A 900 page book where nothing happens in Nuneaton.

One winter evening in the 80s I was leaving campus onto Nassau Street when a woman getting out of a taxi asked for directions. I offered to show the way (the students Union back then was as cunningly hidden as the Japanese Emperor's Palace). But declined her invitation to the meeting as a guest. I'd been to the Sinn Fein Cumann before (and since), but figured that being Bernadette McAliskey's plus one was pushing it...

Comment

Given this is in the Normal People thread I think we can all imagine the alternative history where Dunc goes to the meeting, and Bernadette becomes a committed boys in green home and away fan

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                                The actor who plays Connell is one of the main characters in a new Pheobe Bridgers music video, which was directed by Phoebe Waller-Bridge. A lot of Phoebes on set.

https://www.facebook.com/phoebebridg...7568852315403/
                                                Bridgers and Mescal are an item, I am led to believe.

Comment

Working...
                                                X