Signs that a Sitcom is Deteriorating in Quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

I can't imagine many of the US audience would have a clue who Bobby Charlton was in the first place, tbh.

Terrible English accents in American comedies has been standard practice for years, though: apart from The Beatles who sounded like Cockneys in their cartoon series, Englishmen are more-often -than-not voiced as wooden aristocrats. I expect the belief is that directors themselves know no better - and that almost nobody watching will, either.
    If only she'd said "Former Darlington and Bristol City striker Alan Walsh" - it would have been tremendously meta.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
      Meanwhile, I think I always assumed that Donald Sutherland shot was from Don't Look Now – is that the other one of the "two of the scariest" you were alluding to there Jah?
      Yes, absolutely - I still can't look at it now. (I was struggling with the above clip yesterday, as well.)

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I haven’t seen that film but I know that scene.

I got out of Frasier because I found the Daphne-Niles thing tedious. Indeed, there was something not quite right about her character that I couldn’t quite identify. Was it the accent?

The tension of the Daphne-Niles dynamic was one of the things that may the show so good, I thought, and the show dipped when they became a happily married couple.

The scene where Niles arrives at Frasier's flat one morning, depressed about the state of his love life, only to find an endless stream of new partners walking sleepily around (women for Frasier and Martin and some reference to a mating bitch for Eddie, if memory serves) and then capped off when Daphne and her new squeeze emerge from the bedroom.

"I'm not sure I can take any more of this good news," says Niles, with a rictus grin on his face as he's helped gently to a sofa by Frasier.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
          Yes, absolutely - I still can't look at it now. (I was struggling with the above clip yesterday, as well.)

Which DLN scene? I don't expect that you mean the one at the start when he pulls his dead child from the pond but that's one of the most personally affecting film images.

Comment

Well, no - we're talking final or later scenes, are we not? (Perhaps I'm mistaken.) I meant the climactic scene where...well you know...no spoilers and all that.

Obviously the scene to which you allude is pretty horrific as well, although I've (deliberately) not watched it since parenthood ensued.

Comment

<chapeau>

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

If only she'd said "Former Darlington and Bristol City striker Alan Walsh" - it would have been tremendously meta.
                <chapeau>

Comment

Working...
                X