No announcement yet.

Best US TV Comedies of the 21st Century For Binge Watching Purposes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBT was quite good but I could never take to the quick scene cutting. Far too frantic for my liking.

Comment

Also Canadian, but we took a flyer on Schitt's Creek on Netflix, and it's fantastic.

Comment

Better Off Ted was one of the best comedies I've seen and it's ridiculous that it only lasted one season

Arrested Development and 30 Rock and the first season (maybe first two) of The Good Place are definitely up there.

I'd add Silicon Valley, which I think was brilliant and very under-rated.

Comment

Two, technically, but they were short seasons by US standards. Besides Better Off Ted:

Archer
          Bojack Horseman
          Community (the first three seasons anyway)
          Parks & Rec
          Silicon Valley
          The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
          Venture Bros (not really a comedy, but very funny)
          Veep (the Iannucci years)

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

I always find it strange when people focus on the sit rather than the com, the setting for a show doesn't matter if it's funny.

I mean, the premise of 'Detectorists' is completely uninspiring but it's a gem (and probably the best sitcom of the last decade).

Thanks for the tip re. Detectorists. I watched the first four episodes last night and really enjoyed them. The scene where they taste Sheila's home-made lemonade had me in tears of laughter, even if all it was was 15 seconds of mugging.

Comment

Simon and Garfunkel are the highlight of Detectorists for me. Is any dialogue improvised?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                Simon and Garfunkel are the highlight of Detectorists for me. Is any dialogue improvised?

Yes, they were very good. I can't really imagine Simon Farnaby ever doing anything straight. His voice and face just really wouldn't allow it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Thanks for the tip re. Detectorists. I watched the first four episodes last night and really enjoyed them. The scene where they taste Sheila's home-made lemonade had me in tears of laughter, even if all it was was 15 seconds of mugging.
                  Ah, glad you plunged in and liked it. I came late to it myself and the sporadic threads and comments we've had on it here over the years show it really is a sleeper hit.

Comment

I acquired Netflix for the first time ever last night. Started out with the Two Popes, a wonderful film. If you assume I've seen none of the recommendations on here (I haven't), which do I start with (if they're on netflix)?

Comment

We've just watched the first episode in season 5 of Community and, yeah, it's dipped in quality.

Comment

Loudermilk
                        And possibly a bit too close to the current situation : Last man on earth

Comment

I bingewatched the whole of Community a year or so again. (I think I started as I had a thing for Gillan Jacobs in Love). When it's at its best it really is excellent. I think it lost its way a bit after key cast members left (especially Donald Glover) and were replaced with lesser ones and yes, they did rely on the Dean's uproarious antices too much in later series. And I never liked the character of Chang from day 1. He's now a judge on ITV's The Masked Singer, pretending, not very convincingly, to know the identities of masked celebrities like Teddy Sheringham and Denise van Outen.

Modern Family is brilliant, character-driven US network comedy at its best. Yes, it's probably run its course now but it's had an amazing run.

My friend was so convinced that I would like Fresh off the Boat that she downloaded the whole first series for me. 3 episodes in. Not scintillating at the moment but it's quite watchable and I'm happy to stick with it and see if it gets better.

Not US comedy but talking of coming to something really late, I have only just seen Fleabag, which was really superb. I plan to watch The Detectorists and This Country next.

Comment

Detectorists is brilliant. I've been recommending it to everyone, but I don't think I've had any takers yet (it's about what? Um, OK then, moving on...).

Comment

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                              Detectorists is brilliant. I've been recommending it to everyone, but I don't think I've had any takers yet (it's about what? Um, OK then, moving on...).
                              Their loss. Detectorists is probably my favourite TV show of the last decade, its achingly beautiful, funny as hell and just about perfect in every way.

Comment

I'm really going to have to give Detecorists another go. I watched the first couple, first time around and it was nice, easy on the eye but not especially funny imo. Perhaps it's a slow burner.

Fleabag had shock value but it just never made me laugh. A wry smile here and there yet other people seem to love it.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  Better Off Ted was one of the best comedies I've seen and it's ridiculous that it only lasted one season

Arrested Development and 30 Rock and the first season (maybe first two) of The Good Place are definitely up there.

I'd add Silicon Valley, which I think was brilliant and very under-rated.
                                  The guy who made Better Off Ted also made Andy Richter Controls the Universe, which also didn’t last despite being excellent.

Undeclared and Wonderfalls are two other great shows that didn’t last. As a result, the studios that own them don’t care and so you can just get them on YouTube.

Comment

I’d like to see the last two seasons of Big Band Theory just to see how it ended, but it’s on on the CBS app. I guess Warner Brothers owns it so it will be on the new HBO Max, perhaps.

Comment

Corporate is good, if you're looking for a dark, workplace comedy.

Comment

I won't spoil it, but I like how they ended BBT.

Comment

Not American but on Netflix- Call My Agent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                            I’d like to see the last two seasons of Big Band Theory just to see how it ended.
                                            Glenn Miller dies in a plane crash. Or does he?

Comment

I finished Detectorists yesterday. Crook seems unwilling to write any more series and he did leave it fairly well wrapped up (Series 3 episode 6 has that wrap-up feel).

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                I finished Detectorists yesterday. Crook seems unwilling to write any more series and he did leave it fairly well wrapped up (Series 3 episode 6 has that wrap-up feel).
                                                Nearly finished watching a complete run of The Thick of It. Just brilliant. Malcolm Tucker is a phenomenal creation but all the other regulars - Olly, Terri, Glenn - are so note perfect too. So immersed have I been in it in this last couple of weeks that when the Dr Who clip came on the other day, featuring all the living Doctors (minus Ecclestone), I wondered, just for a split second, what the fuck Malcom Tucker was doing on it.

Anyway, I was hoping to watch a series with my son now the glorious swearfest is nearly over. Would the Detectorists be suitable viewing for a 10 year old?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                                  Anyway, I was hoping to watch a series with my son now the glorious swearfest is nearly over. Would the Detectorists be suitable viewing for a 10 year old?

No, not really. There isn't a great deal of swearing in it but there's more than enough for a 10-year-old. This Country is much worse though.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X