Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible films by great actors/directors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked A Serious Man the second time I tried to watch it. If nothing else, it highlights how good Jefferson Airplane were.

Comment

William Friedkin is a great director, and even his middling films usually have something to recommend them.

But Jade (1995) is another story altogether. A Joe Esterhaus script, Robert Evans producing, Friedkin in the chair, and a good enough cast: Linda Fiorentina, Chazz Palmienteri, Richard Crenna... and David Caruso. David Caruso as the lead in an "erotic thriller". It's almost unwatchable.

Comment

Just from that synopsis, I am certain that there was a meaningful uptick in Colombian exports during the production.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
          Burn After Reading has some great lines. Especially from Clooney and Pitt. "You think that's a Schwinn?" is a nothing line, but it's beautifully delivered.
          Yeah, it is a loose collection of character moments. It’s not a tight plot like their better noir stuff. That one with Oscar Isaac as the Village folk singer was a bit like that. It didn’t really have a plot. But the overall vibe was interesting.

I like Intolerable Cruelty.

Why only 50, Freddy? Why not a hundred? While we're dreaming, why not 150? Are you familiar with "Kershner"?

Freddy Bender:
          "Kershner" does not apply.

Miles Massey:
          Bring this to trial, we'll see if "Kershner" applies.

Rex:
          What's "Kershner"?

Miles Massey:
          Please, let me handle this.

Freddy Bender:
          "Kershner" was in Kentucky.

Miles Massey:
          "Kershner" was in Kentucky?

Freddy Bender:
          "Kershner" was in Kentucky.

Miles Massey:
          All right, Freddy, forget "Kershner". What's your bottom line?

Freddy Bender:
          Primary residence, 30 percent of remaining assets.

Miles Massey:
          What, are you nuts? Have you forgotten "Kershner"?

I need to see Barton Fink again. I saw it in college and didn’t get it but maybe because I was expecting something else.

Same with Rushmore and Wes Anderson. Now that I’ve seen some of his other films, and sort of get the gist, I won’t watch it waiting for Bill Murray to be funny.

Comment

I couldn't get through A Serious Man. And I say that as someone who enjoyed Intolerable Cruelty, Burn After Reading and (particularly) The Man Who Wasn't There.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              I liked A Serious Man the second time I tried to watch it. If nothing else, it highlights how good Jefferson Airplane were.
              Well there is that I'd agree.

Comment

Can I put in a word for Hail Caesar here? If ever a film could be said to be less than the sum of its parts it is that one, lesser even than Burn After Reading.

Comment

Hmmm... when you get right down to it they haven't turned out a really good movie since No Country for Old Men thirteen years ago

Comment

I've only heard good things about A Serious Man and Llewyn Davis. Haven't seen either. Would agree that Hail Caesar was a miss.

Comment

I always enjoy rewatching Burn After Reading but will concur that Hail Caesar was a miss.

Where do OTFers stand on O Brother, Where Art Thou? A couple of workmates here who love Fargo and TBL said they couldn’t stand OBWAT. Personally I always enjoy it.

Comment

I really liked that. But if you don’t like the music, you won’t like it.

Comment

Hail Caesar was underwhelming. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really care about it at all. I found Inside Llewyn Davis very boring. Along with A Serious Man, possibly my least favourite Coen film.

OBWAT is a mid-range Coen. There are some very charming parts of it, but I think a lot of the love for it derives from the music rather than the film itself.

Comment

I can't be objective about O Brother, Where Art Thou as it was the first film a saw with La Signora. So it was effing brilliant, whatever anyone says.

Comment

Naturally.

I love the music.

Comment

The best thing about Hail, Caesar! was the punctuation. I'm disappointed in y'all.

Comment

Whilst I agree with the general consensus on Hail, Caesar! it does contain one bit that possibly makes me laugh more than any other in a Coen brothers film, the "Would that it were" scene.

Comment

I do like Paul Verhoeven, but Showgirls still leaves me scratching my head.

Comment

Showgirls also provided a career low for Kyle McLachlan, who had been a proper actor up until then, but has never really recovered his reputation

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                        I do like Paul Verhoeven, but Showgirls still leaves me scratching my head.
                                        Two things about that film: breasts.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                          Showgirls also provided a career low for Kyle McLachlan, who had been a proper actor up until then, but has never really recovered his reputation
                                          He was quite good on Agents of SHIELD, take that for what you will. He's really done (looking at IMDb) quite a lot of long running TV roles in the last 20 years actually.

Comment

Like Hot Pepsi, I need to see Barton Fink again as I didn't get it at all when I first watched it. I have always put it down to my problem with the film rather than the film itself. Similarly, I have never held The Big Lebowski in quite the same regard as everyone else seems to and should probably rewatch it especially as John Tuturro is reprising his character for a new film. On the other hand, I enjoyed Hail Caesar and O Brother Where Art Thou.

We watched Miller's Crossing the other day as I had hitherto thought that it was one of Mrs Bored's favourite films but she insisted she had actually never seen it. As it turned out, she hated it. As is often the case with watching previously loved films with Mrs B, I seem to view them anew with her critical eyes and see the flaws. This happened with Blade Runner and Miller's Crossing. As with the former, I still like the latter but can see what people, certainly Mrs B, don't like about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                              John Tuturro is reprising his character for a new film.
                                              A review I carefully selected randomly decided to read savaged this new film. It's really putting me off watching it. Did anyone see it yet, and if so: is it any good?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                As is often the case with watching previously loved films with Mrs B, I seem to view them anew with her critical eyes and see the flaws. This happened with Blade Runner and Miller's Crossing. As with the former, I still like the latter but can see what people, certainly Mrs B, don't like about it.
                                                I'd never ask Mrs Thistle to watch Blade Runner because I don't think she'd like it. And also because you have to 'get' Blade Runner to appreciate it and I'm not sure you can 'get' it unless you first watched it as an alienated teenager and thought it was one of the best films ever.

I really didn't like the sequel but mainly for one scene that just seemed unnecessary.

Comment

Oh my God, that new Jesus Quintana movie has an amazing cast. And a 4.4 rating on imdb.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X