Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The End of the Good Old Days

Roy Hudd's died, aged 83.

Funny how most post-alternative comedy has returned to standups doing audience interaction comedy that even Roy knew was 50 years old, 50 years ago ...

https://youtu.be/8KbMBnGGSss

I can't believe that he was only 83. He's been around forever...

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
      Funny how most post-alternative comedy has returned to standups doing audience interaction comedy
      That's quite a bold statement.

Comment

"Many", then if you prefer. I've seen Eddie Izzard, Al Murray, Frankie Boyle live, they all have brilliant routines but all still fall back on the sort of stuff Roy was doing in the clip I posted.

Comment

That's a shame. Always liked Roy Hudd. Croydon's finest. Just seemed like a decent sort.

RIP

Comment

Aww, gutted. I grew up listening to The News Huddlines and last spotted him only a year or two back when he popped up on Tim West and Prue Leith's Great British Canal Journeys to show them around one of the old seaside resorts and its theatre (Great Yarmouth, I think) and was clearly in as good form as ever.

Rory Bremner's Tweet sums him up excellently:
            https://twitter.com/rorybremner/status/1239501192432103425

Though this was a particularly interesting aside from the BBC's article, I thought:
            One of his earliest jobs was as an artist working under Harry Beck, who produced the famous London Underground map.

Comment

Agree about Roy H seeming like a nice guy.

My late father-in-law was into music hall revival shows. We went with him a couple of times to see a company called The Players' Theatre. It was bloody awful. Lots of singing cigarette girls pining after absent soldier boys and a supposedly comic Irish dancing turn in which the only joke was that it was...Irish dancing.

The Players' Theatre were involved in a bitter dispute with The Players' Music Hall Company over who were the true heirs to The Players Theatre Club, the original music hall revival/preservation outfit who were based underneath Charing Cross station. The feud was considerably more engrossing than the performances.

Comment

Always seemed like a very decent guy, who had a huge knowledge of - and love for - comedy.

Comment

Someone I always confused / conflated with Rod Hull and Keith Harris for some reason. He outlived them both.

Comment

Working...
                  X