No announcement yet.

Coronavirus and Film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Balders, that goes on the "Small Coronavirus Wins" thread.

Comment

Interesting to see how they ration out the episodes. Down to 2 per week currently but when they get down to the last couple of dozen...?

This could also be the last nail in the coffin of the TV licence, when they have no new product left, and they've lost a year of Grand National, Wimbledon, MOTD, Cup final day, etc.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 18-03-2020, 12:02.

Comment

Netflix to cut streaming quality in Europe for 30 days. This might be the measure I'm most scared about so far. People might actually riot over this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51968302

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          Interesting to see how they ration out the episodes. Down to 2 per week currently but when they get down to the last couple of dozen...?

This could also be the last nail in the coffin of the TV licence, when they have no new product left, and they've lost a year of Grand National, Wimbledon, MOTD, Cup final day, etc.
          The converse opinion to that is that this crisis illustrates the importance of having a public broadcaster and the programming and services they announced this week that are tailored to the current situation demonstrates its value.

Comment

That's true but the public is not being given that message and may just takes these programmes for granted until they are gone.

Comment

TV history presenter Dr Janina Ramirez has tweeted that she is infected.

Comment

It's changed the way I watch everything. There are new things to shout at the telly (my main hobby).

Quiz show: contestant wins X thousand dollars "Yay, I'm going to Vegas!". (Oh no you're not)
                Drama crowd scene (hey, that's way too many people, get some distance)
                Reality show farewells, somebody voted off (Oi! No hugging!)

Comment

The Sunday Times reports that Cineworld are closing all their cinemas. I've only read The Guardian's retelling of the story but it sounds as if it could be permanent, although one might expect a slimmed down operation to emerge at some point on the other side.

The postponement of the new James Bond film is cited as a factor in their decision. I'm surprised that the producers aren't trying to get that out asap by hook or by crook. It has to be a fast depreciating asset as Britain's international image becomes ever more risible. Perhaps the delay is for the addition of extra swanee whistles to the soundtrack.

Comment

It seems to be a threat contained in a letter asking for government money. Not that I wouldn't take it seriously.

Comment

It would also appear they didn't inform their employees first.
                      https://twitter.com/mollymaecosplay/status/1312520534358282241?s=19

Comment

I saw the new mutants at their broad street, Birmingham cinema the other week. I was the only one in the cinema. First time that's ever happened for me. And I didn't pay for my ticket, having used a voucher. So yeah, things not going great for them. As has been cited, the lack of film choice has been devastating for cinema chains.

Comment

Cineworld operate the only multiplex in Shrewsbury. If they shut then that's a massive restriction on access to films in towns like that.

Comment

Tenet is the canary in the coal mine here. Chris Nolan really wanted it in theaters, and so it is, even in the US. It’s not doing all that well given what it cost.

I could go see it in a theater if I wanted to, but I don’t think I want to wear a mask for two plus hours. Then again, I might be the only one there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                              It would also appear they didn't inform their employees first.
                              https://twitter.com/mollymaecosplay/status/1312520534358282241?s=19
                              And you're surprised by that?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                The Sunday Times reports that Cineworld are closing all their cinemas. I've only read The Guardian's retelling of the story but it sounds as if it could be permanent, although one might expect a slimmed down operation to emerge at some point on the other side.

The postponement of the new James Bond film is cited as a factor in their decision. I'm surprised that the producers aren't trying to get that out asap by hook or by crook. It has to be a fast depreciating asset as Britain's international image becomes ever more risible. Perhaps the delay is for the addition of extra swanee whistles to the soundtrack.
                                Not surprised that Sheffield is losing a cinema, with lockdown it would suggest that it's a saturated market

Vue
                                Cineworld
                                The Light
                                Odeon Luxe
                                Curzon (Boutique "kino")
                                Showroom (independent)

But I can't see how losing the Bond film until April threatens the Shrewsbury operation?

Comment

They haven’t been making much during the pandemic - although production is picking up - so one way or another, there’s going to be a big hole in the line-up, so they might as well hold the 2020 films until 2021 to fill that hole.

One way or the other, the longer they wait, the more people will return to the theaters, either because it is actually safe or because more people are willing to chance it. And more drive ins may be up and running.

For movies that appeal to families, at least, putting them on streaming services for $20 or $30 for the weekend seems to be sort of working. At that price, it’s actually cheaper than taking a load of kids to the theater.

But one way or the other, the cinema business is in trouble. I think there will still be theaters, but it will be increasingly devoted to Avengers, etc. Big cities will still have art house cinemas. But Netflix et al will be the primary distribution channel for most films, and that will change the kinds of movies and series that get made.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

And you're surprised by that?
                                    Even the shittest companies usually put out a companywide email ahead of such an announcement.

Comment

Wonder Woman 1984 release date has been moved back to Christmas Day but the studio have said it's not going straight to streaming.

Pixar's next film, Soul, will be released on Disney Plus on Christmas Day. I think it's the first Pixar film not to get a cinema release.

Comment

Working...
                                      X