No announcement yet.

Most and least authentic biopics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and Berba speaks for me on this thread. I don’t think I’ve ever written that phrase before (winky smiley)
    Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 13-02-2020, 06:13.

Comment

Authentic is an interesting idea in relation to biopics. I really liked the Gainsbourg one which had a giant paper maché puppet on screen the whole time alongside the actor and the larger-than-life elements were ‘authentic ‘ because every word of the script was taken from things he had said in interviews. Authentically exaggerated.

Comment

Have we done Being John Malkovich yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
          Authentic is an interesting idea in relation to biopics..
          Yeah, I agree. Real life is often not very cinematic.

I read an interview with Eddie Edwards, discussing the Eddie the Eagle movie. He said the writers had taken liberties with several things, but he wasn't that bothered as it made for a better film and they were true in spirit if not in fact.

It's quite common, for example, to have a single character in a biopic who is a composite of several people.

Comment

Midnight Express was a prime example of Hollywood taking an interesting story and replacing it with one that is largely bollocks.

Comment

Biopics (especially of musicians or scientists) are terrible in the main. Always a moment of genius epiphany, a childhood trauma that explains character flaws. Walk Hard was great at cutting through all that.

Comment

Originally posted by Foot of Astaire's View Post
                Midnight Express was a prime example of Hollywood taking an interesting story and replacing it with one that is largely bollocks.
                For a second, I thought you meant Midnight Run, which isn’t based on a true story, as far as I know, and is excellent.

Comment

I saw The Lost City of Z in a theater, because it got good reviews. It’s ok, but predictable and kinda pointless. It’s also not especially historical, which is especially disappointing, because the true story of a delusional crackpot would have been much more interesting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...z-was-no-hero/
                  Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 22-02-2020, 23:13.

Comment

If you want to see a particularly bad one, Lady Caroline Lamb is currently on Talking Pictures...

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                      If you want to see a particularly bad one, Lady Caroline Lamb is currently on Talking Pictures...
                      Settle down with glass of your own urine and enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                        Biopics (especially of musicians or scientists) are terrible in the main. Always a moment of genius epiphany, a childhood trauma that explains character flaws. Walk Hard was great at cutting through all that.
                        Walk Hard is probably the best musical biopic ever made.

Comment

Working...
                        X