Barrymore documentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barrymore documentary

Anyone else watching this on Channel 4? I must admit, I didn't particularly like Michael Barrymore as an entertainer anyway, he wasn't my style, but I am learning a heck of a lot about what happened that night. It's a rather slow documentary, but well researched. Oh and that bloke from the NoTW, what a t*sser.

Not seen it, was it sympathetic or critical of him.
    Like you I didn't really see the appeal of him, I found him pretty annoying and like Graham Norton not very funny.

Comment

The documentary didn't really take either side but I learnt a lot about the man who died - Stuart Lubbock - they'd spoken to his ex-wife (they'd divorced before he'd died), his mother and father and brother. The thing that really came out was how the police screwed up the investigation and should have realised this was a murder scene and not an accident. At the end of it all I found Barrymore resembled some Edwardian concert hall act who would go from town to town giving the same performance every night and who was thoroughly miserable off the stage but came alive for those brief couple of hours when on stage. To be honest, Barrymore didn't come out of it very well at all.
      Last edited by Paul S; 07-02-2020, 06:44.

Comment

Not seen the doc (not sure whether I will, tbh), but Barrymore always struck me as the classic 'talented-but-taking-the-cash-route'-type of comic. Every now and again, you'd see a flash of what he could do, but it was generally lost amid the slurry of eighties-game-show cobblers. (That 'Basil Fawlty'-shtick he always did on - I think - Strike It Lucky made me seethe. It's someone else's character, ffs.)

He was nowhere near as gifted, but his chosen path reminded me a little of the later career of Bob Monkhouse - who many also used to dismiss as a game-show turn.

Comment

Barrymore was the only famous alumni from my secondary school. He never came back to visit, but I doubt I would either if I became a household name.

Comment

Working...
          X