The Personal History of David Copperfield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Personal History of David Copperfield

Watched this last night and absolutely adored it. Brilliant cast, wonderfully shot and superb production. So much to marvel at, whether it be Dev Patel as the titular character, Tilda Swinton as Betsey Trotwood, Hugh Laurie as Mr. Dick or Benedict Wong as Mr. Wickfield. Everyone is really on their game and wonderfully cast. Delighted to see Paul Whitehouse and Daisy May Cooper as Mr. Peggotty and Peggotty respectively.
    I liked how some scenes fell away, either being projected onto walls and backdrops, the different use of lenses to capture a child's view of the world or to make lodgings look extraordinarily cramped.

I was wondering about this, because the reviews have been great: Is it a film where I need to have previously read, or known the details of, the Dickens David Copperfield (which I haven't, don't judge me). Or where I'll lose some of the nuance without the background. Or does it properly stand alone?

Comment

I've never read it. There are some liberties taken with the source material so i've heard (which is understandable), but i'm more inclined to read it now.

Comment

I watched this this evening and thoroughly enjoyed it. Again I've not read the book but am now intrigued to. I felt that it was much more about the characters than the plot, so having the right cast was crucial.

Got to clear some donkeys off the lawn now.

Comment

Just left the cinema after seeing this. An absolute joy from start to finish. Highly, highly recommended.

Comment

Plus the gammonati will be fulminating at the multi-racial nature of the cast, so, y'know. Support it for that reason if nothing else.

Comment

Feck, I think this has left the cinema near my gf's gaff already. For some reason they've stopped showing decent films in the mid afternoon weekend slots (also 1917, the new Tom hanks thing). Wall to wall Paw Patrol, Star Wars and that Harley Quinn shite till 6pm.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 11-02-2020, 23:57.

Comment

I saw this tonight, very likeable and absolutely carried along by the wonderful cast in which the actor for every single role is perfectly chosen.

It's a little gentler and less riotously funny than some of the reviews led me to expect but is particularly warm and engaging.

There's a great dog in it too.

Comment

I really enjoyed it, even if it was gentler than I expected. The cast all out in excellent performances. Tilda Swinton should be in everything and I was very impressed by the mother of the posh guy.

I'm really posting to make people aware of the trailer for The Green Knight which has just been released with Dev Patel as Gawain. Not as light and bawdy looking as the original text but promising.

Comment

Working...
                  X