Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Someone Makes Racist Freudian Slips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
    Well it was pretty clear I strongly disagreed on the consensus there at the time. After all, it triggered you to have a go at me. Or are you saying you just had a go at me without understanding my stated position?
    Not at all. I was triggered by the invocation of the Danny Baker thread. To me, the only possible way to read that is "just what I'd have expected from a bunch of...", which is deeply offensive. It is possible to see racism for what it is (Megan Markle's treatment) and what it is not (Nakers).

I was hoping for something, from you, as clear as "yes, I hear the n word" or "nah, I can hear Nakers too".

Comment

I would come across as frustrating if you try to misrepresent my point which I can simply debunk with, "show me where I said that".
      Right. But when I ask for clarity, you just say 'read what I wrote'. And if what you wrote is not clear, we're back where we started. You're a bit frustrating that way.

Comment

Yes, based on his initial response.

You see, I form opinions based on what people actually say, and when I am not sure I ask them. You should try it sometime. It's alot easier than just making up stuff.
        Who's been making stuff up?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Not at all. I was triggered by the invocation of the Danny Baker thread. To me, the only possible way to read that is "just what I'd have expected from a bunch of...", which is deeply offensive
          But on the Danny Baker thread, I didn't accuse people on OTF for being racist for giving him the benefit of the doubt because he's a sound bloke, a mate, or an entertaining broadcaster. I was equally critical of those who initially backed Mark Sampson or Peter Beardsley because they were good coaches or popular ex players.

. It is possible to see racism for what it is (Megan Markle's treatment) and what it is not (Nakers).
          Whether she said Nakers or Niger's (is that acceptable for webfilters) is a matter of opinion and not fact as you seem to be claiming.
          I was generous to say people were entitled to their own opinions so I am showing I am flexible despite what a poster on this thread has accused of not being.

I was hoping for something, from you, as clear as "yes, I hear the n word" or "nah, I can hear Nakers too".
          You knew what I meant WOM. I know you are not a stupid man and if you didn't know what I meant, you would have asked and not waded in two footed.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
            Who's been making stuff up?
            Again, not addressed to you.

Comment

Again, not addressed to you.
              Ah, okay.

Just to clear things up: Am I WOM's cheerleader?

Comment

The clip of it I've seen, it sounds like she's halfway through the wrong word, and slams on the handbrake, and skids through the rest of the word, and into the wall of Ignominy

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                  Ah, okay.

Just to clear things up: Am I WOM's cheerleader?
                  We could both do worse. Not by much, mind.

Comment

I've listened a few times and I can't hear "Nakers", but likewise I don't think heard her go full Gabby Johnson either, though I reckon if the word was played alone without hearing the rest of the sentence it could have been even more damning.
                    I couldn't say that it was down to ingrained racism. I realise it is still prevalent in society in general and likely in enough newsrooms in America, but even the dumbest racists like Tommy Robinson manage to thinly veil it as fighting Islamification and exercising free speech.
                    In the end I can't understand how she even got to that slip. I know next to fuck all about US basketball but I know that it is the New York Knicks and the LA Lakers. She's supposed to be a professional sports presenter and should at least know the names of the teams she is fucking reporting on.
                    Last edited by Sean of the Shed; 27-01-2020, 19:48. Reason: Maybe not every one.

Comment

FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                        I've listened a few times and I can't hear "Nakers", but likewise I don't think heard her go full Gabby Johnson either, though I reckon if the word was played alone without hearing the rest of the sentence it could have been even more damning.
                        I couldn't say that it was down to ingrained racism. I realise it is still prevalent in society in general and likely in enough newsrooms in America, but even the dumbest racists like Tommy Robinson manage to thinly veil it as fighting Islamification and exercising free speech.
                        In the end I can't understand how she even got to that slip. I know next to fuck all about US basketball but I know that it is the New York Knicks and the LA Lakers. She's supposed to be a professional sports presenter and should at least know the names of the teams she is fucking reporting on.
                        First sentence aside, this is almost word for word what I thought. I did hear the n word (different video clips with different sound quality are available, as EIM noted), and like Sean, I don't understand where the slip comes from unless you're someone who doesn't have an aversion to using that word. Aside from which, as someone who stopped watching basketball about two years into his career I was all the same aware that Bryant had never even played for the Knicks, so I'm not sure how someone who earns a living covering it claims that's the mistake she was in the process of making. It'd be like me going on the radio and accidentally beginning to say that Lionel Messi was Real Madrid's all-time top scorer.

Comment

She's a news anchor, not a sports presenter, but I agree it would be fair to assume that a British anchor knew that Messi played for Barcelona.

Comment

It wasn't a question of 'not knowing it', though, was it? She tripped over her words.

Comment

But if one of those was 'Knicks', you'd have to explain why she would associate Bryant with that team. It might be because she born locally (Long Island) but still a stretch. OTOH we are playing amateur psychologist without expertise, which is not good. I would be interested to read something from a qualified person, and thus remain on the fence, although I keep lowering a foot either side depending on the last good argument I read (which is also not good, but I'm admitting to be flawed here).

Comment

If we're being honest with ourselves, on balance of probabilities alone, it's far more likely that she was stumbling over the mental error of Los Angeles Knicks than she was Los Angeles N*gg*rs.
                                I mean, seriously.

Comment

That's the side I sit on WOM.

Even believing that the presenter is a monster racist who frequently refers to black people using the N-word in private - the fact that it would be on the tip of her tongue when reporting on the death of a prominent black man just seems to not sit right with me. Of all the times for your closet racism to come to the fore, it's a hell of a coincidence that it happens at this time.

Of course, that may just be me being extremely naive on the matter.

Comment

Working...
                                  X