Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Someone Makes Racist Freudian Slips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Ya think?

No, I think most black people can be objective. But it goes beyond that; the reference to the Danny Baker thread means he thinks we're all blind / deaf / racist white people cuz we don't hear 'it'.
    Hahahaha, you of all people think you understand the black mindset.

I like the way you twist my words and intent in a way to garner support.

he thinks we're all blind / deaf / racist white people
    I won't ask you to substantiate this as I do not want you to spend your lunch break reading through old threads in a vain attempt to prove me wrong.
    But it is more convenient to act this way so you can summarily dismiss anything I say on such matters.

As I have said, you are entitled to your opinion.

Comment

I'm not aware of that "study", but would posit that "Martin Luther King Junior" isn't difficult at all for anyone at all used to saying it. By the same token, resorting to "coon" would seem to reveal a degree of familiarity with the word that is completely alien to my personal experience.

As to the clip, my experience is the same as Inca's. I wonder if there may be a divide here between those of us who grew up with accents like hers and those who did not.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
        Hahahaha, you of all people think you understand the black mindset.
        Hahaha...no, but I'm pretty sure I've got you figured out by now.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
          By the same token, resorting to "coon" would seem to reveal a degree of familiarity with the word that is completely alien to my personal experience.
          Not at all. The point is that King Junior 'slurs' together as kunior. But by the time people have said 'coon', they realize they've misspoken, back up and say it again.

The idea of 'misspeaking' aside, has anyone heard anyone intentionally saying "Marting Luther Coon" as a pejorative? I mean, I've heard pretty much every slur going but I've never heard that one, even once.

Comment

It's funny that you mentioned that, because I was going to as well. You know that they did a semi-scientific experiment after that last fiasco and asked, like, 100 people to read "Martin Luther King Junior Day" and an absurd number said Martin Luther Coon. King Junior is something the brain smashes together because when you read aloud, you read ahead and sometimes your brain stumbles. But I suspect you're not going to believe that.
            Well you seem to know what I know and suspect what I believe so I'll let you run with it.

I am happy to PM you my username and password so we can make this official.

Comment

Nah, we're good. I'll just move forward assuming everything is overtly racist, even if it doesn't make sense or even convincingly sound that way.

Comment

FWIW, I hear something like "Nikers" but a verbal slip is a error rather than a deliberate attempt to offend.

I mean, it could be a Freudian slip or it could just be a slip which sounds like a controversial word.

Comment

The idea of 'misspeaking' aside, has anyone heard anyone intentionally saying "Marting Luther Coon" as a pejorative? I mean, I've heard pretty much every slur going but I've never heard that one, even once.
                  It was absolutely common among Southern racists when he was alive.

You have led a sheltered life

Comment

It was absolutely common among Southern racists when he was alive.

You have led a sheltered life.
                    Well, given that our lives only overlapped for six months, being 'sheltered' doesn't have much to do with it. I've heard plenty of racist commentary in my life. My point was that 'Martin Luther Coon' doesn't seem to have much currency as a pejorative, so it would be an odd 'go-to' for closet racists with on-air jobs.

Comment

I always that that "coon" was a British pejorative; hadn't realised that it was used in the States too.

Comment

It's a southern old-timey word, for sure. No doubt still frequently used amongst a certain set.

Comment

WOM, do you accept the concept of a "Freudian Slip"?

I don't see anyone on the thread describing this as a conscious "go to" on the speaker's part.

Comment

WOM, do you accept the concept of a "Freudian Slip"?
                            Sure I do. But I think it's over-exercised as a way of implying people have 'underlying' racism where quite possibly (or probably) none exists.

But we're probably conflating two issues here that are unrelated.

The first, the issue which started this thread, is (to me) absurd on the face of it. I, and most here, hear someone stumbling over 'Los Angeles Knicks....Lakers' and it comes out Nakers. I hear it clear as day and the woman said that's exactly what she meant to say.

The second, the Martin Luther Coon thing, could perhaps invoke Freud with each of those white commentators being a closet racist. Or at least being familiar enough with the pejorative 'Making Luther Coon' that it comes tumbling out whenever they have to say the man's name. OR...the many, many people who have said it and lost their jobs might just have difficulty saying that particular string of words, as each of them has said in their own defense.

Which leads to 'are tons of US on-air broadcasters casual racists' or 'is Martin Luther King Junior day an unfortunate tongue twister'?

Comment

I will go with "tons of US on-air broadcasters are casual racists" because my life experience has led me to conclude that "tons of US residents are casual racists." Again, I understand that your life experience differs.

And, as I said, I hear the MSNBC clip in a completely different way.

Comment

I don't think she said it on purpose, I was wondering if the teleprompter said either Lakers or Knicks and her brain started to read the other, and then that came out, but I only hear that word.

Comment

Yeah, but nobody is suggesting she said it on purpose. The suggestion would be that she had the word on her tongue so readily that it could 'come out' unbidden or by accident.
                                  Rather than just an unfortunate slip of the tongue that sounds vaguely like the n word.

Comment

I will go with "tons of US on-air broadcasters are casual racists" because my life experience has led me to conclude that "tons of US residents are casual racists.".
                                    I don't get that.

Comment

Sounds "vaguely like" to you, "not at all like" to others and "crystal clear" to some of us.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                        I don't get that.
                                        It tends not to be featured in the films

Comment

Yeah, but nobody is suggesting she said it on purpose. The suggestion would be that she had the word on her tongue so readily that it could 'come out' unbidden or by accident.
                                          Rather than just an unfortunate slip of the tongue that sounds vaguely like the n word.
                                          It's sounds vaguely like it to you, exactly like it to others. I don't understand what there is to argue about. Are you telling me that I'm lying when I say that it's what I hear?

Comment

Nah, we're good. I'll just move forward assuming everything is overtly racist, even if it doesn't make sense or even convincingly sound that way.
                                            You really need to stop that WOM, it is the debating tactic of the morally and intellectually bankrupt.

Comment

You really need to stop that WOM, it is the debating tactic of the morally and intellectually bankrupt.
                                              No, it's not. WOM's neither morally nor intellectually bankrupt.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                                No, it's not. WOM's neither morally nor intellectually bankrupt.
                                                So you agree with him, anyone else?

Comment

So you agree with him, anyone else?

Yes, I agree with him.

Comment

I just watched the clip on a different tweet and it sounded a hell of a lot less like Nakers. Weird.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X