X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy Birthday Jim Carrey!

50 today!

Him turning 50 shocked me a bit.

A guy who has left me in tears from some of his performances, remember watching Ace Ventura: Pet Detective as a 15 year-old and crying with laughter at the nervous energy that he displayed.

He has starred in some stinkers (who hasn't?), but I will remeber him for some of the stronger films that he has starred in.

My favourites in no particular order (Well the Truman Show had to be near the top, loved that film and the subtext to it, eternal sunshine showed he could act as well)

1. The Truman Show
    2. Dumb And Dumber
    3. Ace Ventura: Pet Detective
    4. Liar Liar
    5. The Cable Guy
    6. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
    7. Me, Myself and Irene
    8. The Mask (Credit WOM)

Haven't seen the Majestic, I love you Phillip Morris or Yes Man which I'll get around to watching.

Beloved classics that Jim Carrey completely ruined:

1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    2. A Christmas Carol
    3. Horton Hears a Who!

Honorable Mention: Man on the Moon. (Jim Carrey as Andy Kaufman? Seriously?)

Comment

What, his performances alone?
      Thought he did well as the Grinch.
      Ah, the good outweighs the bad though.

Comment

He is actually quite an interesting guy isn't he?

I watched Cable Guy a few weeks back, much better than I originally remembered. I don't think i could watch Pet Detective though. Truman Show was great, surprised at his performance in that.

Comment

Too bad In Living Color never really made it over there, because for those years it was on, there wasn't a funnier fucking show. Here it's been over 20 years later, and I haven't come close to laughing like I did for Fire Marshall Bill.

Yeah, 50. It's going to be so sad when he's 80, and either as banal as Groucho, as bloated and wasted as Jerry Lewis, or as quiet and bitter as The Three Stooges were at the end.

But hey, comedy has a short shelf life.

Comment

No love for Mask, eh?

I had hope for his later years when he did Eternal Sunshine, but then he went back to Yes Man sort of stuff that's 'true Carrey', but really, really tired.

He also slips into Eddie Murphy territory with stuff like Mr Popper's Penguins. Not bad, but...meh. Pays the bills, I guess.

And the creepy Emma Stone Youtube loveletter? Urgh.

Comment

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
              No love for Mask, eh?

I had hope for his later years when he did Eternal Sunshine, but then he went back to Yes Man sort of stuff that's 'true Carrey', but really, really tired.

He also slips into Eddie Murphy territory with stuff like Mr Popper's Penguins. Not bad, but...meh. Pays the bills, I guess.

Bugger, good shout WOM. I will re-edit the list post-haste.

And that is on the money regarding Mr Popper's Penguins. Very much an Eddie Murphy kind of film.

And that's got me thinking, has Eddie Murphy done a Truman Show, or a Eternal Sunshine?
              I'm gonna have to think about this.

Comment

jv, when I was a lad, I remember watching 'in living colour', Sky One used to show it. A large amount of the humour passed my eleven year-old self by, being honest.
                My sense of humour was still in the embryonic stage.

For someone raised on Tom and Jerry and Laurel and Hardy, it was pretty much slapstick or gtfo.

Without cheating by googling, didn't some of the Wayan's brothers feature prominently in ILC?

I'm thinking Damon and Keenan Ivory? (Remember being blown away by KI's name as a kid)

And Jim Carrey reminded me of Jerry Lewis when I first saw him, following on from your mention of him.

Comment

Tactictoe wrote:
                  Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                  No love for Mask, eh?

Bugger, good shout WOM. I will re-edit the list post-haste.

And that is on the money regarding Mr Popper's Penguins. Very much an Eddie Murphy kind of film.

And that's got me thinking, has Eddie Murphy done a Truman Show, or a Eternal Sunshine?
                  No, but he did The Adventures Of Pluto Nash, which as I was watching, assumed was a dry, Woody Allen style Sci Fi pastiche. I was watching it in Thailand, with the subtitles all wrong, though.

When I watched it back in the UK I realised what an absolute abomination it was.

Comment

I didn't know about that.
                    Just watched it and it seemed quite earnest in all honesty.
                    It isn't as if he filmed it outside of her bedroom window in the wee small hours.
                    That would have been creepy, if he'd of filmed a series of them, each one increasingly unhinged, more so than the last, then fair enough.
                    But he's just chancing his hand there isn't he?

Comment

Murphy was supposed to be pretty good in Dreamgirls, which I did not see.

Comment

Tacitoe wrote

Bowfinger - Murphy plays an Eddie Murphy- type movie star, and the star's brother. Pretty good.

Comment

Yes, it was the Wayan's show, but Carrey was the secret weapon. The chemistry they all had was incredible. I know Damon Wayans is sad that it wasn't another Saturday Night Live that lasted for decades, but what they did in those 5 years was better than the last 30 of SNL.

See, I ranked Eddie's Nutty Professor as my favorite movie of 1996. While Fargo was a masterpiece and Trainspotting was a near-masterpiece, this movie was everything Eddie built up to. It's his Mulholland Drive. The sadness in Klump's eyes, trapped by his family and wanting so much more from himself and life, still reverberates in me. He continued the multi-part magic with Steve Martin in Bowfinger, which is probably his most artistic success.

Eddie also had an action career, while Carrey did not. 48 Hrs is a very, very bizarre and edgy film. I was scared when I saw it when I was 8, and the fear was pretty much still in me when I saw it a few years back. For Eddie to work in serious films, he would need to work with Scorcese. He was watchable in Dreamgirls, but it was a pretty dopey and cheesy part. He morphs from his James Brown hottub to a Bob Marleyized Marvin Gaye. It's actually really fucking stupid.

Comment

Oldjack beat me to Bowfinger.

Comment

Bowfinger, yeah, good shout.
                              The scene where they make him cross the freeway in the action scene is as funny as it gets.

I haven't seen the Nutty Professor as of yet.

Comment

Shorter post

Edit: after reading the posts by jv, tacticoe, and incandenza, I realise how grudging and mean-spirited my original "pretty good" rating is - it's better than that, of course.

Why I like the film: just about everything EM does is an EDDIE MURPHY FILM. But Bowfinger isn't - it's a film that happens to have EM in it, and very good he is, too (as is Steve Martin as the Driftwood/Bialystock central figure).

Comment

Glad I'm not the only one who liked Bowfinger. I didn't mention it because it didn't seem in line with a it's obvious that I want people to take me seriously as an actor and that's why I'm doing this serious part role like Carrey has done, starting with The Truman Show (Adam Sandler's version is Punch Drunk Love).

I didn't think many people liked Bowfinger, but I really enjoyed it. And as Tactictoe says, the freeway scene is hilarious.

See, I ranked Eddie's Nutty Professor as my favorite movie of 1996. While Fargo was a masterpiece and Trainspotting was a near-masterpiece, this movie was everything Eddie built up to. It's his Mulholland Drive. The sadness in Klump's eyes, trapped by his family and wanting so much more from himself and life, still reverberates in me. He continued the multi-part magic with Steve Martin in Bowfinger, which is probably his most artistic success.
                                  This reminded me that Richard Brody, a film critic at the New Yorker (he doesn't do the long reviews, mostly the capsule reviews) truly loved Murphy in Norbit. He even mentioned it when it was announced that Murphy was doing the Oscars.

When Murphy was announced as the Oscars host, there was a lot of ridicule at the choice, and jokes about him not being relevant in years. Then Brett Ratner made his comments and was canned as the producer, then Murphy backed out, to be replaced by Billy Crystal, who apparently everyone except for me loves. You want to talk about not being relevant in a while? Somehow Crystal gets a pass, but Eddie Murphy was seen as a bad choice. I have to wonder if Chris Rock talked to him about the criticism he would get, no matter what.

I'm not going to defend Murphy's choice of roles lately, but it's sad how his become a joke to a lot of people. I mean...Trading Places and Coming to America. Two of the best American comedies of the 1980s. He earns a pass just for that.

Comment

That's a good point regarding Billy Crystal.

Seeing that you popped up a link to a 'Coming To America' clip, I thought i'd jump on with a bit that i'll always love.

Sexual Chocolate, Ladies and Gentlemen, Sexual Chocolate.

And that clip includes a youtube comment that I agree with wholeheartedly:

brittits69 wrote eddie murphy should just do a fucking spin-off movie concerning the life and fame of randy watson. WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN DONE DAMMIT.
                                    Didn't need the sweary, but yes, that would be great.

Comment

Jim carrey gives me hives. Spells his name wrong as well.

Comment

Yeah Inca, the coast is clear.

It was quite beloved by critics at the time, even if it didn't set box office records (nor bomb, either.)

Comment

Find him utterly unwatchable!

Comment

Tactictoe wrote:

I didn't know about that.
                                            Just watched it and it seemed quite earnest in all honesty.
                                            It isn't as if he filmed it outside of her bedroom window in the wee small hours.
                                            That would have been creepy, if he'd of filmed a series of them, each one increasingly unhinged, more so than the last, then fair enough.
                                            But he's just chancing his hand there isn't he?
                                            Well apart from the fact that he was 49 and she was 22, and that he was describing what having sex with her would be like with a completely unhinged look on his face, but yeah apart from that not creepy at all. Compleeeetely normal.

Comment

Hoping to avoid this ...when it comes on telly 6 months after release!

-

Comment

With his roles over the years, I can't help but be reminded of...

-

Comment

Fussbudget wrote:
                                                  Well apart from the fact that he was 49 and she was 22, and that he was describing what having sex with her would be like with a completely unhinged look on his face, but yeah apart from that not creepy at all. Compleeeetely normal.
                                                  Thank you.

Clive, it doesn't much resemble the book, but it's really not that bad.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X