No announcement yet.

Documentaries on YouTube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's definitely going on the list as well. Nobody in England knows about that except for us that grew up on the Medway. It turned out that the Dutch took possession of the Isle of Sheppey at the time and forgot about it until 1967 when a local historian discovered it and they organised a ceremony to give it back. My Nan was born in Sheerness so for years I harboured fantasies of being called up for the Elftal. My knees have gone now, so it's Rinus Michels's loss.
    Last edited by Alderman Barnes; 08-02-2020, 19:50.

Comment

Hahaha. You can see why it was glossed over, much in the way that the Dutch conquest of england has deftly been brushed to one side.

Comment

Yeah, doesn't really come up to scratch in the imperial narrative, does it? I've always been fascinated by the story though, not least because my dad's side of the family are from Gillingham and my mum's are originally from Upnor, which is where they stretched the chain across. God knows how they thought it would keep the Dutch out.

Comment

Another piece of history that isn't well known is the succesful French invasion during the reign of King John, when the Barons invited the Dauphin over. The history of the royal family could have been quite different.

Comment

The hidden killers series is very good.
            This one is about Edwardian homes. An added bonus is the presenter is not a fan of Dr David Starkey. And vice versa as one would expect.

https://youtu.be/dr1IAfl0_TM
            Last edited by Tactical Genius; 10-02-2020, 00:31.

Comment

There's a shedload of the very good HBO Sports documentaries online. This one would be right up Ursus' alley on the 1968 Detroit Tigers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4TyqqoDA8Q

Covers the aftermath of the devastating 1967 riots and one of the few teams that actually earned the hype of "bringing the community together".

Comment

Gates Brown!

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
                  The hidden killers series is very good.
                  This one is about Edwardian homes. An added bonus is the presenter is not a fan of Dr David Starkey. And vice versa as one would expect.

https://youtu.be/dr1IAfl0_TM
                  Those shows are great. In fairness, the material is incredible. What are we doing today that is going to look every bit as horrifying and bizarre in 50 years time I wonder. if you google Suzannah Lipscomb and David Starkey you can track the development of their relationship over time from respectful politeness on her part to absolute withering contempt. She just can't stand him on any level

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Those shows are great. In fairness, the material is incredible. What are we doing today that is going to look every bit as horrifying and bizarre in 50 years time I wonder. if you google Suzannah Lipscomb and David Starkey you can track the development of their relationship over time from respectful politeness on her part to absolute withering contempt. She just can't stand him on any level
                    Indeed. It should be required watching for those who bleat about "Elf and Safety", "red tape", "and bleeding building regs". Keep an ear out for that Welsh guy with the magnificent accent saying Absolutely Lethal. It's on the level of Mick Channon saying Gary Lineker.

I doubt anyone who has seen David Starkey on question time would be surprised. He doesn't come across as an accommodating chap.
                    Last edited by Tactical Genius; 11-02-2020, 22:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post
                      There's a shedload of the very good HBO Sports documentaries online. This one would be right up Ursus' alley on the 1968 Detroit Tigers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4TyqqoDA8Q

Covers the aftermath of the devastating 1967 riots and one of the few teams that actually earned the hype of "bringing the community together".
                      Cool. My first in-person MLB game was Tigers v. Angels at Tiger Stadium in 1970. All I remember was Alex Johnson argued big time w/ the umpire and Denny McClain got hit pretty hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post

Indeed. It should be required watching for those who bleat about "Elf and Safety", "red tape", "and bleeding building regs". Keep an ear out for that Welsh guy with the magnificent accent saying Absolutely Lethal. It's on the level of Mick Channon saying Gary Lineker.

I doubt anyone who has seen David Starkey on question time would be surprised. He doesn't come across as an accommodating chap.
                        There's a neat symmetry to the situation. David Starkey thinks all women are shit, and all women feel the same about him.

This covers some of his greatest hits.

Comment

The picture in that article is priceless.

Comment

I don't know about you, but I'm pregnant after looking at it. oooh that man is Sex on a stick. He makes me drop my chips.

Comment

Alastair Cooke's America is a fascinating time capsule. The full series is here. An equivalent series made today would be extremely different indeed.

Comment

I should go back and watch that.

I was very fond of it on first run.

Comment

you should. I mean you'll see a very different programme now, but was everything really that bright and colourful in the 60's and 70's?

Comment

Well, apart from the grinding poverty, rampant racism, jingoistic nonsense and the riots . . .

Comment

No I mean the sea, and the sky and stuff. I assume it's just a technological artefact of the production process but this series is lush to look at. (And I mean that in the original sense)

Comment

No, it was the same as it is now (worse, actually).

The look is all production and film stock. They can make Ireland look fabulous, too.

Comment

ah you're talking about the John Hinde postcards with the little girls with the radioactive hair .

Comment

A rather complete collection of Time Team episodes, specials and extras

https://www.youtube.com/user/Fillask/playlists

Londonium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJsnL1kJT8

Brunel's Great Eastern: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6hDz8ofQgA

Comment

Working...
                                            X