Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Given that Jones provided so much for the BBC, I was a tad surprised to learn that.

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    But apparently not as celebrated by the country as one might've hoped or imagined. (See my comment upthread.)
    Well, by the BBC anyway. I expect the Wales On Sunday will be all over it. Sorry, missed your comment.

Palin's tribute was customarily lovely. I don't want to think about when he goes.

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    This is a nice tribute focussing on Jones the Historian and how his erudition informed his comedy

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Beatle Simon
    replied
    I remember him on a Saturday morning kids show in the 80s and he was saying that 'Ireland has only ever banned 5 films, and I was in 4 of them!'
    RIP, Terry.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    It seems to have been Jones who came up with the idea of sequencing the sketches in the way that became associated with Python (although Milligan claimed he was already doing it with the Q format). Also his businessmen characters had a curious resemblance to Dirk Bogarde in 'Death In Venice'.

Jones was also, I believe, the main force behind the 'Holy Grail' film, which kept the British film industry on life support at least.

Cleese and Palin are more famous and will get bigger headlines but Jones is at least their equal as a writer, and a greater director.

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    What SIts said. RIP

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    You’ve all written some lovely tributes to which I can’t really add. So just a grateful RIP.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
    Welsh, of course.
    But apparently not as celebrated by the country as one might've hoped or imagined. (See my comment upthread.)

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    Precisely what John Cleese tweeted.
    There was an interview with Michael Palin earlier on BBC news and he choked up and I reckon the whole country choked up with him. I certainly did. They were writing partners and friends well before Python and for all the time after, almost 60 years. That is a truly special bond.

A very small thing, but I remember when Palin began his very first TV travelogue, the Around The World In 80 Days one, Terry Jones and his missus were there to bid him a fond farewell with a few kindly quips as, you know, a mate would do.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Very sad, but I’m kinda glad he didn’t have to suffer too long with dementia. I know what that looks like.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
    Precisely why I didn't see it already, then.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    I just saw that and......sorry, something in my eye.

Leave a comment:

• Sean of the Shed
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    As the Pythons themselves would have put it "two down, four to go".
    There was an interview with Michael Palin earlier on BBC news and he choked up and I reckon the whole country choked up with him. I certainly did. They were writing partners and friends well before Python and for all the time after, almost 60 years. That is a truly special bond.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    As the Pythons themselves would have put it "two down, four to go".

A great talent, a great storyteller and a great Welshman... even if he couldn't tell the difference between Whizzo butter and a dead crab.

RIP.

Leave a comment:

• Bored Of Education
    replied
    A great shame, not least with the deterioration he has had the last couple of years . I have never been the biggest fan of the Python TV series but enjoyed the films - especially The Meaning Of Life - which he directed. Welsh, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Anyway, RIP Terry, you glorious idiot. I still wish you'd not got your arse out for "Blackmail" but here we are.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    Echoing all the fine sentiments above. RIP Terry.

Typing that makes me realise Terry Jones, Terry Pratchett, Terry Wogan and indeed Doctor Who's much-loved 'Uncle Terry' Terrance Dicks have all now gone since the start of 2016. So many hours of entertainment they've all provided me over the years.
    They repeated the Terry Pratchett tribute show 9n BBC2 the other night, and it has given me a fixed desire to reread Equal Rites.

As for Terry Jones, a legend. Even had he done nothing more than deliver his lines in Holy Grail and Life of Brian, he'd still have etched a place in comedy history, never mind the writing, directing and presenting.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Just watched the Mr Creosote sketch on youtube as a tribute. A very funny man.

Leave a comment:

• Rogin the Armchair fan
    replied
    I think the nativity scene in Life of Brian is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied
    Echoing all the fine sentiments above. RIP Terry.

Typing that makes me realise Terry Jones, Terry Pratchett, Terry Wogan and indeed Doctor Who's much-loved 'Uncle Terry' Terrance Dicks have all now gone since the start of 2016. So many hours of entertainment they've all provided me over the years.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    I liked this from Michael Palin's tribute to his great friend:

"Another bizarre thing we did [came] when I was first writing with Terry. He lived down in Waterloo and they opened a new men's toilets on Lambeth Walk. Being a local celebrity, Terry was asked to be the first person to use them!

"So Terry and I went down to the new toilets on Lambeth Walk with the band playing behind us. The only other person with us was the Mayor of Lambeth.

Do you know, I'm not sure that I realised that it was him playing Mr. Creosote.
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 22-01-2020, 16:50.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    One of the funniest guys the country had ever produced was apparently demoted to third item on BBC Wales news this lunchtime.

Which itself is a joke.

RIP, TJ.

Leave a comment:

• tee rex
    replied
    So many things to remember and thank him for, here's just one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_F...Boys_and_Girls

When I was too young for Python (on way past my bedtime) I was given that book by somebody who was obviously doing their Christmas shopping in a hurry, and hadn't looked too closely at the contents. It was the most thrilling, subversive, hilarious read I'd ever encountered. Took it to school, passed it around, had it confiscated. It was my gateway drug to Python and all its successors.

Thanks Terry.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X