Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What SIts said. RIP

Comment

It seems to have been Jones who came up with the idea of sequencing the sketches in the way that became associated with Python (although Milligan claimed he was already doing it with the Q format). Also his businessmen characters had a curious resemblance to Dirk Bogarde in 'Death In Venice'.

Jones was also, I believe, the main force behind the 'Holy Grail' film, which kept the British film industry on life support at least.

Cleese and Palin are more famous and will get bigger headlines but Jones is at least their equal as a writer, and a greater director.

Comment

I remember him on a Saturday morning kids show in the 80s and he was saying that 'Ireland has only ever banned 5 films, and I was in 4 of them!'
        RIP, Terry.

Comment

Comment

This is a nice tribute focussing on Jones the Historian and how his erudition informed his comedy

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              But apparently not as celebrated by the country as one might've hoped or imagined. (See my comment upthread.)
              Well, by the BBC anyway. I expect the Wales On Sunday will be all over it. Sorry, missed your comment.

Palin's tribute was customarily lovely. I don't want to think about when he goes.

Comment

Given that Jones provided so much for the BBC, I was a tad surprised to learn that.

Comment

Working...
                X