Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terry Jones...

...is an ex-Python.

Another hero gone. Not a great start to the year.

RIP.

One of my mates was driving through Highgate a year or so and almost knocked him down (TJ was wandering slowly and incautiously across a road) so he's maybe done well to last this long.
    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 22-01-2020, 12:59.

Comment

The second nicest Python. A real shame. Sad but not totally unexpected, considering the degenerative dementia he had been diagnosed with.

Comment

A life truly well lived. So much to admire even away from his contribution to Python. RIP.

Comment

Very sad loss indeed. Hugely talented and entertaining on whatever he turned his hand to.

Comment

Have to echo the above, a terrific mind cut down by dementia, very sad.

Comment

A mad, wonderful genius. A sad loss.

In a career full of memorable lines, the one that sticks for me is the one so ingrained that I still tend to finish long lists with "...and as much gold as I could eat".

Comment

So many things to remember and thank him for, here's just one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bert_F...Boys_and_Girls

When I was too young for Python (on way past my bedtime) I was given that book by somebody who was obviously doing their Christmas shopping in a hurry, and hadn't looked too closely at the contents. It was the most thrilling, subversive, hilarious read I'd ever encountered. Took it to school, passed it around, had it confiscated. It was my gateway drug to Python and all its successors.

Thanks Terry.

Comment

One of the funniest guys the country had ever produced was apparently demoted to third item on BBC Wales news this lunchtime.

Which itself is a joke.

RIP, TJ.

Comment

I liked this from Michael Palin's tribute to his great friend:

"Another bizarre thing we did [came] when I was first writing with Terry. He lived down in Waterloo and they opened a new men's toilets on Lambeth Walk. Being a local celebrity, Terry was asked to be the first person to use them!

"So Terry and I went down to the new toilets on Lambeth Walk with the band playing behind us. The only other person with us was the Mayor of Lambeth.

Do you know, I'm not sure that I realised that it was him playing Mr. Creosote.
                    Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 22-01-2020, 16:50.

Comment

Echoing all the fine sentiments above. RIP Terry.

Typing that makes me realise Terry Jones, Terry Pratchett, Terry Wogan and indeed Doctor Who's much-loved 'Uncle Terry' Terrance Dicks have all now gone since the start of 2016. So many hours of entertainment they've all provided me over the years.

Comment

I think the nativity scene in Life of Brian is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Comment

Just watched the Mr Creosote sketch on youtube as a tribute. A very funny man.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                            Echoing all the fine sentiments above. RIP Terry.

Typing that makes me realise Terry Jones, Terry Pratchett, Terry Wogan and indeed Doctor Who's much-loved 'Uncle Terry' Terrance Dicks have all now gone since the start of 2016. So many hours of entertainment they've all provided me over the years.
                            They repeated the Terry Pratchett tribute show 9n BBC2 the other night, and it has given me a fixed desire to reread Equal Rites.

As for Terry Jones, a legend. Even had he done nothing more than deliver his lines in Holy Grail and Life of Brian, he'd still have etched a place in comedy history, never mind the writing, directing and presenting.

Comment

Comment

Anyway, RIP Terry, you glorious idiot. I still wish you'd not got your arse out for "Blackmail" but here we are.

Comment

A great shame, not least with the deterioration he has had the last couple of years . I have never been the biggest fan of the Python TV series but enjoyed the films - especially The Meaning Of Life - which he directed. Welsh, of course.

Comment

As the Pythons themselves would have put it "two down, four to go".

A great talent, a great storyteller and a great Welshman... even if he couldn't tell the difference between Whizzo butter and a dead crab.

RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                      As the Pythons themselves would have put it "two down, four to go".
                                      Precisely what John Cleese tweeted.
                                      There was an interview with Michael Palin earlier on BBC news and he choked up and I reckon the whole country choked up with him. I certainly did. They were writing partners and friends well before Python and for all the time after, almost 60 years. That is a truly special bond.

Comment

I just saw that and......sorry, something in my eye.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                          Precisely why I didn't see it already, then.

Comment

Very sad, but I’m kinda glad he didn’t have to suffer too long with dementia. I know what that looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                                              There was an interview with Michael Palin earlier on BBC news and he choked up and I reckon the whole country choked up with him. I certainly did. They were writing partners and friends well before Python and for all the time after, almost 60 years. That is a truly special bond.

A very small thing, but I remember when Palin began his very first TV travelogue, the Around The World In 80 Days one, Terry Jones and his missus were there to bid him a fond farewell with a few kindly quips as, you know, a mate would do.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                Welsh, of course.
                                                But apparently not as celebrated by the country as one might've hoped or imagined. (See my comment upthread.)

Comment

You’ve all written some lovely tributes to which I can’t really add. So just a grateful RIP.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X