No announcement yet.

20th Century-Fox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surely "mothballed" in the sense that there aren't any more being made for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post

The Marx Brothers have been dead for a few years but their movies show up regularly. Also Bogart and Bacall and many others from the thirties and forties.
      Oh, you meant they aren’t on TV, etc. That makes a lot more sense. Somehow I thought you were saying that they stopped making those films because they’re racist.

I’ve never seen it. I’m slightly too young to remember the golden age of watching “old movies” on TV late at night. I’m mostly the video store generation.

I never thought Bob Hope was funny. But he used to be on TV all the time.
      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 18-01-2020, 20:05.

Comment

The last of the Road films premiered 58 years ago

Comment

Oh, gotcha.

I dunno. It's most likely personal. The "Road" films were shown on TV regularly when I was growing up, particularly over holidays. But I haven't seen them, nor noticed them listed, for years (and I'm a regular TCM watcher.)

Comment

Bob Hope is like Whoopi Goldberg in being a comedian that no one has ever seen saying anything funny.

Comment

I disagree. He was funny — for his time. I doubt his humour, mostly based on one-liners and immaculate timing, transcends that. He was also a master of the ad-lib (which was the strength of the 'Road' movies.) Hope was essentially a vaudevillian, one of the last, so I can see why anyone younger than me wouldn't find him funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                Not sure about Karen Allen either.
                I watched Starman a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to see Karen Allen in it, having forgotten that she had any lead roles apart from RotLA.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

I watched Starman a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to see Karen Allen in it, having forgotten that she had any lead roles apart from RotLA.

And in Animal House, of course.

Comment

The last time I saw Animal House was probably as a VHS rental in the '80s. Is it worth revisiting?

Comment

Some of it hasn’t aged well, but it’s still a classic.

Comment

Although they are slightly different eras, I get Karen Allen confused with Karen Black, who I've just watched freaking out in a graveyard with Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda and Toni Basil on a channel called "Sony Movie Classics" (wrong thread, I know). Sony is both Columbia and MGM it seems, although confusingly most of the old/good MGM films are owned by Warner Bros, or whatever conglomorate owns them.

Back to the OP, I wonder if Disney think the Fox brand has become just too toxic or divisive for family viewing?

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                          Although they are slightly different eras, I get Karen Allen confused with Karen Black, who I've just watched freaking out in a graveyard with Dennis Hopper, Peter Fonda and Toni Basil on a channel called "Sony Movie Classics" (wrong thread, I know). Sony is both Columbia and MGM it seems, although confusingly most of the old/good MGM films are owned by Warner Bros, or whatever conglomorate owns them.

Back to the OP, I wonder if Disney think the Fox brand has become just too toxic or divisive for family viewing?
                          It doesn’t help, certainly.

Disney doesn’t have all the Fox assets. IIRC, they didn’t get the broadcast TV network or Fox Sports, which compete with ABC and ESPN, so any time they used the word Fox, they’d be advertising for a competing brand. And any company hoping to appeal to anyone under 60 wants nothing to do with Fox News.
                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 19-01-2020, 02:52.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                            Although they are slightly different eras, I get Karen Allen confused with Karen Black
                            Nancy Allen in my case.

Comment

Certainly a factor, but there is also increased competition between the two empires, particularly in streaming (where the Mouse is spending zillions on Disney+) and sports (where Fox is one of the primary rivals of Disney's ESPN).
                              Last edited by ursus arctos; 19-01-2020, 02:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

She’s also great in Scrooged.

Comment

And The Wanderers.

Comment

Duck Soup was followed by Road To Zanzibar just last weekend on Sony Movie Classics, which is Freeview channel 50 over here.

Comment

I confirmed that Disney now owns not only the rights to use Indiana Jones in its parks etc but bought the film distribution rights from Paramount, with Paramount still getting some of the back end of whatever they make. So Disney is clearly invested in making at least one more film and maybe a TV program of some kind. But IJ5 has already gone through a few writers and scripts.

Comment

Working...
                                      X