Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

madge's awesome new flick

Growing old gracefully is for mugs.

Well top me up and call me a Toby Jug then.

Comment

There is something in why people think that, for instance, Mick Jagger prancing around is not ridiculous whereas Madge etc can't do something similar (when she is only 53). Obviously, that something is sexism.

Personally, I find it more interesting when musicians grow old in a fashion that isn't trying to replicate what they were doing when they were teenagers but that is because I like to see what they are doing as they evolve and grow older. We have loads of music about being young but it is still fairly rare to see an artist explore getting old or, like Johnny Cash did, their own mortality.

Not having listened to Madonna of late, I am not sure that she explores what it is to be an older sex symbol, for instance, or being a mother

Comment

"Well top me up and call me a Toby Jug then".

Heh, you know what I mean though dude, no.

There's a difference between growing old elegantly and growing old gracefully.

James Mason and Jackie Kennedy grew old elegantly. Victorian dads and the woman that plays the housekeeper in Dowton Abbey grew old gracefully.

Hopefully that's dug me out of the shit.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
          There is something in why people think that, for instance, Mick Jagger prancing around is not ridiculous
          Crikey, do people really think that? Mick Jagger is a complete embarrassment.

I'm not sure if Ray of Light qualifies as "Madonna of late" since that was released 15 years ago but if I remember correctly (I don't pay any attention to the words, you see) that was pretty much entirely about motherhood and all the "finding yourself" spiritual bollocks that goes with it.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
            There is something in why people think that, for instance, Mick Jagger prancing around is not ridiculous whereas Madge etc can't do something similar (when she is only 53). Obviously, that something is sexism.

Personally, I find it more interesting when musicians grow old in a fashion that isn't trying to replicate what they were doing when they were teenagers but that is because I like to see what they are doing as they evolve and grow older. We have loads of music about being young but it is still fairly rare to see an artist explore getting old or, like Johnny Cash did, their own mortality.

Not having listened to Madonna of late, I am not sure that she explores what it is to be an older sex symbol, for instance, or being a mother
            To be fair, I think we all explore our own mortality, whether we like it or not.

Comment

Crikey, do people really think that? Mick Jagger is a complete embarrassment.
              Bloody hell, fussbudget, you would believe the amount of women that think he is still 'sexy' and a lot of them aren't even his contemporaries.

I'm not sure if Ray of Light qualifies as "Madonna of late" since that was released 15 years ago but if I remember correctly (I don't pay any attention to the words, you see) that was pretty much entirely about motherhood and all the "finding yourself" spiritual bollocks that go with it.
              I thought she might have done that but I was more thinking about the arguing with a stroppy teenager and having to pick them up from a party in the middle of nowhere at 3am sort of thing.

I perform 3 songs with my band that are essentially covers from my old band of 25 years ago. I always feels a bit weird being a 45 year old married father singing songs about the pathetic frustration of girls not fancying you when you are 20. What it is like for Madonna singing her songs, I have no idea.

Comment

To be fair, I think we all explore our own mortality, whether we like it or not.
                Good grief, that is a bit of a downer for a Monday. Although you are probably right, I can't think of many explicit explorations of one's own mortality in song, certainly not in pop. Johnny Cash is the only one that springs to mind

Comment

Sorry, dude.

Um, the only other examples I can think of are blues singers, like Skip Spence or what-have-you.

Um, 'Killed by Death' by Motorhead? 'Death Trip' by The Stooges. That Black Sabbath tune that goes "first there was the bomb, Vietnam, napalm..", and ends with Ozzie yelling "and now you're gonna die".

Comment

Bob Dylan's recent oeuvre is right there. Not Dark Yet being the prime example as a single song. Also most of Modern Times.

Comment

Yes, there are loads of those but I was thinking of the ones that were more along the lines of "I am getting old/going to die at some point/soon"

I am assuming that Leonard Cohen has probably done some. Tom Jones, who was previously was as ludicrous as Jagger but with better songs and voice, seems to have been flirting with it recently having let his go grey and producing the "Praise and Blame" album. This, however, is following the Cash blueprint to an extent and I think you will see a lot of older male artists doing this.

Comment

And of course Leonard Cohen. And Jarvis Cocker.

Comment

Indeed. Tom Waits too.

Comment

The best "jesus christ, I'm old" album of recent years is easily At My Age by Nick Lowe. It's terrific.

Comment

And among female performers Bettye LaVette's stuff seems right on the money.

Comment

I liked the way she took the piss out of Kevin Costner after he described one of her shows as “...neat...” in that kind of geeky/nerdy way he has when he met her backstage.

I’m really adding fuck all to this debate aren’t I.

I mean love her or hate her she is one of the foremost female pop/entertainer icons of a generation and all I can associate with her is shagging and piss - taking.

Comment

I don't know about "exploring mortality" but Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits always sound to me like they're practising being dead.

Comment

Well I don't know about always but, it's true, Tom Waits has written at least one song from the perspective of a corpse. And very nice it is too.

Comment

Working...
                                    X