Tony Garnett RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tony Garnett RIP

Producer of Cathy Come Home, Kes, Days of Hope, This Life, Cops, Cardiac Arrest Between the Lines.

Can’t think of any single person who has had a bigger influence for good on British culture.

RIP

guardian obituary

[URL]https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1216507515611033603?s=21[/URL]

and a review of his autobiography
    Last edited by Nefertiti2; 12-01-2020, 23:57.

I refuse to accpt this as a nil thread

Comment

The Cops was a great series. It deserved greater acclaim and the format could easily be used in present day. This Life seemed good at the time but definitely belongs to its own era.

Comment

Thanks for replying, Sean, yes the cops was great. The spam of Garnett’s career is astonishing.

Comment

This Life was brilliant.

Comment

I am listening to She's Leaving Home in his honour.

Comment

The BBC had a piece on Cathy Come Home this morning, and mentioned that Shelter was co-incidentally launched a few days later - contrary to the belief (by me anyway) that it came about as a result of. Though of course the reaction to Cathy Come Home and the awareness it generated will have contributed to Shelter's successful launch and longevity.

Comment

I used to love Between The Lines and am surprised that it isn't referred back to more often as the success of Line Of Duty has grown. Jed Mercurio, creator of the latter, got his big break with Cardiac Arrest, another example of Garnett's reach across generations of broadcasting.

Comment

astonishing interview here

Last edited by Nefertiti2; 20-01-2020, 21:55.

Comment

Working...
                  X