Peaky Blinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
    I am the exact opposite of this. Literature, and specifically prose fiction, is definitely the one art form I couldn't live without. I'd struggle without films, theatre and music (live and recorded) but could somehow struggle by without them if truly necessary.
    I probably should have added a few caveats. When I'm reading prose fiction and there's clearly an idea that the author is exploring or working through, I'm engaged. That's much different than someone who has 'written a book'.

With music, the same rule applies. For instance, early Springsteen is compelling because you hear him working to express ideas, anger, frustration, desires. His latter albums are just full of songs.

My kids have asked why I listen to so much weirdo music while mom listens to normal stuff, and I tell them I'm always listening for new ideas...not just ones I've heard a hundred times already. Someone needs to be trying something.

But back to fiction, much of it now just reads as product. The industry needed it so someone wrote it. Marvel movies are much the same; the beast needed feeding so someone feeds it.

Comment

On the TV thing, I got to The Wire late and watched the lot. I have seen episodes of the Sopranos but not a full series. I have seen snippets of Breaking Bad. I just don't have time to commit to watching shows where I get to it late and there are 10 series of eight episodes etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
        My kids have asked why I listen to so much weirdo music while mom listens to normal stuff, and I tell them I'm always listening for new ideas...not just ones I've heard a hundred times already. Someone needs to be trying something.
        I like that manifesto. Wish I'd had that line to hand ten years ago when my kids kept asking me that.

Uncle Ethan I get that same can't-be-arsed sensation when I see a series spanning 60+ episodes. Do I have to? No, I don't.

Comment

Working...
        X