BBC to resurrect Crackerjack

That's fucking Crackerjack

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...ater-time-slot

Shite, shite, and thrice shite.

CRACKERJACK!

Comment

You don't have to watch it, Guy.

Comment

Never particularly liked it the first time around.

Comment

It's a bit weird to reboot something like this - Reboots are all about nostalgia, and how many kids have nostalgia for a show that hadn't existed for a quarter of a century before they were born?

It's also very weird to care one way or the other, unless the nurses at your care home always have that channel on full volume and refuse to wheel you out of the common room when it's showing.

Comment

It's just the BBC bringing back another tv show for their primary audience. Sundowning baby boomers. If you're five in 1955, you're 70 years old

Comment

I remember Leslie Crowther & Peter Glaze, boy scouts and lots of shouting.

And pencils.

Comment

It's FRIDAY! It's FIVE TO FIVE!! And it's CRACKERJAAAAAACKKK!!

They did spoofs of the hits of the day. I might look on YouTube.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-ZtpYfNq74

Golden Years!

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                    I remember Leslie Crowther & Peter Glaze, boy scouts and lots of shouting.

And pencils.
                    And cabbages.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                      It's just the BBC bringing back another tv show for their primary audience. Sundowning baby boomers. If you're five in 1955, you're 70 years old
                      Animal Magic?

Let's get some geriatric senile old fart to “voice” animals in a prison.

Then kvetch it was cancelled due to “anthropormorphic personification”

No you dick head

It was cancelled for the same reason as The Black and White Minstrels Show.

It was cancelled because it was fucking shit

Comment

It's a shame we won't see Peter Glaze tackling the hits of Billie Eilish and Stormzy.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Animal Magic?...

It was cancelled because it was fucking shit
                          Still upset that your mum wouldn't let you keep a sea lion in the bath, Guy?

I may have mentioned this before but Johnny Morris came and did 'An Evening With...' at my school some time after AM was cancelled. Attendees reported that he still seemed quite bitter about it.

Comment

At the end of each AM Morris would say "From all of us here, goodbye" except that my 7/8 year old self heard "for all of this year" and felt sad it wouldn't be on next week.

Comment

Does anyone else remember when Eamonn Andrews did Crackerjack!?

No?

Thought not.

Comment

I do. That's when cabbages were the thing. I did a quiz for work a few years back, and I gave cabbages to the losers. Who were both far too young to understand...

Comment

Was Stew “Stewpot” Francis a host?

i have vague memories of “I could crush a grape” and “I could wrestle an Action Man”.

Comment

The 3 men I admire most
                                    (Father, Son and Mickey Most)
                                    They caught the last train for the coast
                                    To rendezvous with Peter Glaze
                                    And kill Don McClean...

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                      They did spoofs of the hits of the day.
                                      Colin Moulding of XTC once described the Crackerjack take on Making Plans For Nigel as the 'pinnacle of his music career'.

For a while, Crackerjack was a bit of pre-weekend treat: pretty sure that Bowie or Bolan never appeared, but when I was around ten or eleven, most of the glam-rock 'greats' seemed to feature regularly as music guests. (Can certainly recall Slade playing both sides of one of their hits on one occasion.) I think Michael Aspel was host with Glaze and Crowther his comedy stooges when I first saw the show during the late 1960s, but it was Ed Stewart and Don Maclean by the time I was watching Crackerjack as a pre-teen (c 1972-74).

I can only imagine that this slightly-bizarre projected re-vamp will bear very little resemblance to the show I recall.

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                      Was Stew “Stewpot” Francis a host?

i have vague memories of “I could crush a grape” and “I could wrestle an Action Man”.
                                      He was host from 1980, by which time I'd stopped watching. (Tiswas was better!)

However, 'Stewpot' was Ed Stewart, rather than Stu Francis.
                                      Last edited by Jah Womble; 08-01-2020, 11:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                        Does anyone else remember when Eamonn Andrews did Crackerjack!?

No?

Thought not.
                                        Yep. Double or Drop. And Pip Hinton.

Comment

Yup. Eamonn, Leslie, Peter and Pip. And one other (female), who I can't quite remember.

Comment

Gillian Comber

I think it's fair to say I didn't expect to be posting that name on here when I woke up this morning.

Comment

"Maclean?"
                                              "No, I had a bath this morning."

Oft repeated, never quite made sense to me.

Glaze and Maclean are the hosts I remember, although I was inordinately excited when I saw Leslie Crowther opening the Knowl Hill Steam Rally in the very early 70s. I don't think I'd ever seen a celebrity before.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post

Still upset that your mum wouldn't let you keep a sea lion in the bath, Guy?

I may have mentioned this before but Johnny Morris came and did 'An Evening With...' at my school some time after AM was cancelled. Attendees reported that he still seemed quite bitter about it.
                                                Much as I'd hate to derail the thread about the birthplace of the Krankies, but I wouldn't be doing my 6 year old self justice if I didn't point out that Johnny Morris's version of Thomas the Tank Engine kicks the shite out of Ringo Starr's.

Comment

A goods train pssshh. A goods train psssssh. I won't do it pssshh. I won't do it pssshh.

And oh oh oh oh oh..... OH...

Yup. Much better than Ringo.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X