Lost films, 2000+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost films, 2000+

The idea here is to build a list of films that slipped under the radar in the past decade or so; interesting films that were plain obscure, didn't really get distribution or went straight to DVD.

Hostel Part 3 (2011)
    No seriously, bear with me here; I had very low expectations for this film and it went straight to DVD on release. But it was much better than it had any right to be.

The Elite Hunting Club has been relocated to Las Vegas and the action revolves around a bachelor party. The film plays out the cliches established over the first two outings, but then completely turns turns them on their head. Coherent plot, reasonable acting and restrained in terms of gore.

House of the Devil (2009)
    A real throwback to 70s and 80s supspenseful and satanic horror, where a hard-up student picks the wrong family to babysit during a lunar eclipse.

Slow paced, but ramps up the tension effectively. Some genuine jump out of your seat moments.

Lost films, 2000+

I suspect this may stretch your point, but with a UK release in only 42 cinemas I'll nominate Chomet's The Illusionist (2010). One of the most beautifully animated and poignant films I've seen in ages. The artwork is phenomenal, especially a vivid and recognisable 1950s Edinburgh.

Edit - Princes Street, for example.

Comment

Lost films, 2000+

Starship Troopers 3

Went straight to DVD in 2008, but was actually a worthy successor to the original (Verhoeven was executive producer).

Re-introduces the satirical elements that made the first one so enjoyable, although budgetary constraints mean it isn't so spectacular.

Turns up on Five sometimes; well worth catching.

Comment

Lost films, 2000+

Went straight to DVD in 2008, but was actually a worthy successor to the original (Verhoeven was executive producer).
        Can I get a second opinion on this? I'd love to see a worthy successor but I'm going to take some convincing that this is one.

Comment

Lost films, 2000+

We'll be here all day if we're including a UK release with 42 cinemas as lost. I wasn't a fan of The Illusionist myself and could see why Tati decided not to film the script but it was very very pretty.

A subjective top ten, some of these are by highly feted directors so not really obscure to anyone who follows the festival circuit but all received very limited if any UK distribution.

Afterschool (Antonio Campos)
          The best consideration of the alienating effects of the technological and social changes of the last decade. Set in a boarding school with copious masturbation jokes.

Silent Light (Stellet licht) (Carlos Reygadas)
          Transcendant in parts with aching beauty throughout every frame. Centres on a Mennonite community with simplicity, faith, love and respect as themes.

3-iron (Bin-jip) (Ki-duk Kim)
          South Korea was one of the major powers of film in the 2000s. Ki-duk Kim is nowhere near as celebrated as Park Chan-wook or Bong Joon-ho over here but with this and Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter etc., he marks himself out as one of the best directors working today.

Longing (Sehnsucht) (Valeska Grisebach)
          Along with Romanian film (I haven't included any as the heavy hitters like 4 weeks, 3 months etc. have got significant traction here), the Berlin School is the major movement deserving serious study in Europe. Methodical, studied, elliptical storytelling that is immensely powerful. I just wish Grisebach would make more films.

Distant (Uzak) (Nuri Bilge Ceylan)
          Ceylan is probably too well know for this type of list. I'm really looking forward to his latest and Climates was undoubtedly one of the best of the decade. This mix of urbanite and rural viewpoints is a real treat and deserves to be better known.

Sleeper (Schläfer) (2005) (Benjamin Heisenberg)
          As per the Grisebach piece really but manages to be really thoughtful about the post 9/11 landscape, friendship and one of those slow burning thrillers that aren't about the plot but the experience of ordinary petty men in unusual circumstances.

Burma VJ Reporting from a Closed Country (Burma VJ Reporter i et lukket land) (Anders Østergaard)
          Documentary footage of the monk aided protests in Burma smuggled out of the country. Charts the initial sceptism, the mounting hope and the horrors. Immensely powerful and not even a little cynical.

Couscous (La graine et le mulet) (Abdel Kechiche)
          A film of atmosphere, place and relationships rather than driven by the plot. A loving, self-critical portrait of the Arab population in France. Romantic, infuriating and beguiling.

A Fine Day (Der schöne Tag) (2001) (Thomas Arslan)
          Another Berlin School film, this one focusing on losing love, finding love and the lives of second generation German immigrants in Berlin.

Night and Day (Bam guan nat) (2008) (Sang-soo Hong)
          Sang-soo Hong is the real jewel in South Korean film making. I've only seen about half of his films but every one of the ones I have seen details a film director/producer/artist searching for his way in life and how to create whilst chatting argumentatively, getting drunk and generally being a bit of a dick whilst having a yearning for love and romance. I can't explain why it works so well but I'm entranced. To add the usual fine story and performances, here we get to look at pretty Paris and how people far away from home bond.

Comment

Working...
          X