• Show
Clear All

• Wouter D
    replied
    Yeah, I missed that first time too.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    It's only after I've seen the last scene with Hitler again on you tube I've realised he has a hole in the side of his head dripping blood.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    Her range is a bit limited, I suppose.
    But she channeled Kim Hartman perfectly in this one!

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I finally watched this last night. I'm in the good-but-not-great camp. I was more entertained by the Lightweight Nazi Comedy Filmed By Wes Anderson first part than I probably should have been. Like everyone, I thought it would have been better without Rebel Wilson. Thomasin Mckenzie's going to be an absolutely massive star. There were a couple of moments in the end section where I was sure they were using the same set that Mendes used on 1917. It's interesting, and worth watching, but probably not the best film of Awards Season.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Her range is a bit limited, I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• tracteurgarcon
    replied
    Can anyone explain Rebel Wilson to me? She seems to be the Hollywood equivalent of Miranda, in that we're supposed to find a non-glamourous woman falling over all the time intrinsically funny.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
    Er Ist Wieder Da is on UK Netflix. I liked it, funny as heck when he goes to the modern Nazi HQ.
    Yeah, another vote for this, it's great.

Rebel Wilson's presence on the posters has put me off JoJo a bit, but I've been assured she's not in it much. Girlfriend wants to see it so we'll probably go at some point.

Leave a comment:

• Incandenza
    replied
    Watched a screener and liked it but didn't love it. I found the scope and sets a bit jarring--you really wouldn't know that there was a war going on, and I never really got a strong sense of place in the film. I can think that maybe this was part of telling the film through Jojo's point of view, but there wasn't much in the direction that made me think that this was an intentional decision. Rebel Wilson really grated my nerves, Rockwell was good, and his final scene really got to me.

Leave a comment:

• sw2borshch
    replied
    Er Ist Wieder Da is on UK Netflix. I liked it, funny as heck when he goes to the modern Nazi HQ.

Leave a comment:

• RobW
    replied
    I thought it was fantastic and i'm surprised that critics have been so down on it, not that Peter Bradshaw is someone I have any time for anyway. It was funny, it was heartbreaking, I thought Sam Rockwell was brilliant and I too loved the montage of The Beatles and Triumph of the Will. Waititi was terrifying and the scene with Jojo following the butterfly left me in floods of tears.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Well I really liked it. It took a dark turn in the city square and then the final action with the boy soldiers was just heartbreaking really. I thought Sam Rockwell was great as Captain K, going along with the charade and undermining it at the same time. The abomination that was the Hitler youth was held up to the light. I thought the opening Beatlemania montage was clever. And Scarlett Johansson was everything her blockbuster roles are not - emotional and believable.

I've seen this and 1917 in the same week and I'm not really sure which was my favourite.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    The finale failed for me precisely because the rest of the film hadn't done enough to earn that ending. It was an example of the attempted change in tone from dark to light jarring because it wasn't handled elegantly enough.

Leave a comment:

• Aitch
    replied
    Yes the last ten minutes or so are good. The previous 100 are an infantile joke smeared as thinly as possible. Pity so much of the budget was spent on explosions rather than some decent script writers.

Did "Look who's back" (Er ist wieder da) make it to the UK?

Last edited by Aitch; 14-01-2020, 08:47.

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    The end is really good

Leave a comment:

• willie1foot
    replied
    We saw it last night and really enjoyed it. I thought it did a good job of taking the piss out of the Nazis. Plenty of laughs and Mrs 1Foot had a cry at the end.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I normally like Rockwell and he was OK but the character was pretty one-note. Wilson played it like 'Allo 'Allo but she's never any good.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Saw it tonight and I am torn on it. Some of it works really well and some of it fails. It's certainly nowhere near as good as 'Wilderpeople' and WWDITS nor 'Ragnarok' which was far more successful at blending different styles.

Overall the shifts in tone from drama to farcical comedy aren't handled successfully enough for me. What Waititi appears to have added to the original book seems to jar with it to the extent it feels like two separate movies.

I thought the boy playing Yorki, Jojo's real best friend, stole the show in terms of performances.
    Not the superb hamfest from both Rebel Wilson and Dean Stockwell lookalike Sam Rockwell?

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I'm now annoyed my review wasn't just ;

More like So-So Rabbit.

Leave a comment:

• Vicarious Thrillseeker
    replied
    We had a two-centre watch party (me and elder daughter in Tanzania; Mrs. VT and younger daughter in Wales). We loved it - the girls were genuinely touched by the story and said it spoke to them about the evil of the Nazis in a way that they understood well. I think that, for that generation, it works well - compared with, say, something like 'Schindler's List'. All actors were excellent, except maybe for Stephen Merchant who, let's be fair, cannot act and Rebel Wilson doing Rebel Wilson.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Saw it tonight and I am torn on it. Some of it works really well and some of it fails. It's certainly nowhere near as good as 'Wilderpeople' and WWDITS nor 'Ragnarok' which was far more successful at blending different styles.

Overall the shifts in tone from drama to farcical comedy aren't handled successfully enough for me. What Waititi appears to have added to the original book seems to jar with it to the extent it feels like two separate movies.

I thought the boy playing Yorki, Jojo's real best friend, stole the show in terms of performances.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-01-2020, 21:38.

Leave a comment:

• Felicity, I guess so
    replied
    It doesn't quite work but everyone should see Boy and Wilderpeople

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    There's a very good interview in the Times today with the kid who plays the kid in this. Must be weird being filmed skipping about shouting "Heil Hitler" - I'm not sure I'd feel entirely comfortable if it was a son of mine, satire or not.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
    No gore as such, but violence and explosions associated with war feature
    Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

Ragnorok is probably the best MCU film.
    It's definitely up there with the Guardians and Captain Marvel films.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Bloke from work also in cinema taking in a NYD film yesterday.

Asked at work - he liked it too - and confirmed that the likes of Peter Bradshaw at the Guardian didn't

Oh well.

Never mind

Leave a comment:

Working...
X